Subs for big horns?

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Can anyone recommend, or is there such a thing, as a subwoofer (or pair of subs) that can keep up with the lightening fast bass of big horns?

I don’t need anything too subsonic, just to fill the 30-60hz range, my speakers tail off quickly below 45hz.

Budget - pretty flexible but in or around the $15k ballpark and I’m happy to buy ex dem or mint used. Thanks in advance.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There is nothing out there that will keep up with GR-Reseach's OB servo subs, with the amp modded by me. People have replaced JL subs with them, etc.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can anyone recommend, or is there such a thing, as a subwoofer (or pair of subs) that can keep up with the lightening fast bass of big horns?

I don’t need anything too subsonic, just to fill the 30-60hz range, my speakers tail off quickly below 45hz.

Budget - pretty flexible but in or around the $15k ballpark and I’m happy to buy ex dem or mint used. Thanks in advance.

Which horns?

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Living Voice Air Partners

Cool! You gotta look at vintage subs with light paper drivers if you want to match the Vitavox's speed and tone. I assume you're using tubes with them so you need to use the same type of amplifier to achieve proper coherence. Take a look at my system I use vintage JBLs in my system and if you read visitors comments they're completely integrated with the main speakers. They're certainly within your budget as are some other ones including the cost of decent amps and crossover. You can go the custom route too if know a competent designer to make them for you. Don't recommend any active ones specially ones with digital plate amps for your speakers.

david

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you have an abundance of room, consider a multiple driver h baffle ( or quasi AMT as some call it) open baffle topology.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you have an abundance of room, consider a multiple driver h baffle ( or quasi AMT as some call it) open baffle topology.

Precisely what I suggested. I haven't had trouble integrating subs based on any particular rules about cone weight or plate amps. Some subs are good, others are not. Some are faster, others are slower.

But I do know DDK has a fair bit of experience with this, I have no doubt his method is a path to something good - whether or not it is the only one.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Precisely what I suggested. I haven't had trouble integrating subs based on any particular rules about cone weight or plate amps. Some subs are good, others are not. Some are faster, others are slower.

But I do know DDK has a fair bit of experience with this, I have no doubt his method is a path to something good - whether or not it is the only one.

It depends on what you're trying to match Folsom. The Air Partners are early Kevin Scott pre Vox Olympian attempts at recreating the Vitavox sound as a standalone speaker instead of a corner horn, the main driver compliment was reproduction S2 & AK151 drivers which were pretty close to the original, the weak component was the reproduction RH-330 horn that rang badly. Light vintage paper cone drivers don't travel much are very fast and articulate, something that heavy modern cones with long travel can't really match. Various topologies of SS and Tube amplification reproduce bass very differently, it's much easier to integrate like amps in a system. I'd make a different recommendation if he was using a modern dynamic or panel speaker with SS amps.

david

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks for your advice guys. My room (not finished still building at the mo) isn’t huge, 7.5m x 6.5m.....
Also, I need a suitable amp, my system at the minute (Boulder 1012, musical Fidelity Titans, Revel Salon 2) will be relegated to the family room.
I’ve been advised that i need an ultra quiet low power amp as noise could be an issue with the LV’s being so efficient. Could anyone offer any suggestions? A dealer friend of mine recommends Tron amps as he says they’re the quietest he’s ever come across.....

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The first (and only) time I heard Air Partners they blew my mind. Different, to say the least:) It's just the way the bass emanates from that huge mouth. Takes some acclimatisation and getting used to I am sure.

Very, very different from Keith's current speakers like Olympians and certainly nowhere near the OBX etc.

Kind of feel large coned OB type woofers would be the way to go, as hinted at above.

I take it you have heard them (the Air Partners)?

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Oh yes I bought them from a friend so many times. But I’ve never heard them via a low powered valve amp, he was using big Krells so I’m sure I haven’t heard the best of them.
The top and mids are like nothing I’ve ever heard, the bass is superb too but definitely on the light side, but this could be a mismatch with the amp. Also he had them pulled out into the room and maybe pushed into the corner more may add that bit if weight they’re missing...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Oh yes I bought them from a friend so many times. But I’ve never heard them via a low powered valve amp, he was using big Krells so I’m sure I haven’t heard the best of them.
The top and mids are like nothing I’ve ever heard, the bass is superb too but definitely on the light side, but this could be a mismatch with the amp. Also he had them pulled out into the room and maybe pushed into the corner more may add that bit if weight they’re missing...

Yes, you don't want high damping factor amplification as a back loaded horn is already well damped. That will definitely thin out the bass. Also moving them closer to a wall will help.

For a sub, why not Avantgarde short horn subs? They will match the speed by virtue of being horn loaded.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sure I can make one built to order , whats the sensitivity of your horns ?
For the 30 - 60 hz range there are plenty of papercone designs .
For the real deal 20 hz and up paper is not up to it imo, then you need different membrane material.
If you buy a passive paperunit/sub look at the sensitivity match with your main speaker , a couple of db above them will be better sounding then if they play below the main FR

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Hi AA
They’re 105db and I’m more than happy at 30hz and up, I’ve always found that the speakers I enjoy most cut off at 30-35hz.
My Revels go down to the low 20’s in room and I use the bass slope switch to cut that back.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Then my final solution would require at least 2 stacks of 3 woofers given that the figures released by speakermanufacturers are mosty very optimistic .
But I only work with HPL no wood or mdf so the total cost would probably exceed 15 K usd a bit .

I look into what paperwoofer you could use , if you want to built it your self , if you want to buy of the market , buy 2 passive subwoofers with at least a 105 db eff each a 15 incher or something like that.
I don't know what filter they use , if they use a first order with for example a low value /mH coil in series then the sub will support your lower mid as well

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi,

I am sure that Kevin @ definitive could make you some matching subs for these. I would go this route since he has some Air Partners in now and has been experimenting recently. He also has a conversion to add a supertweeter onto a top mounted bracket a bit like the Vox.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi,

I am sure that Kevin @ definitive could make you some matching subs for these. I would go this route since he has some Air Partners in now and has been experimenting recently. He also has a conversion to add a supertweeter onto a top mounted bracket a bit like the Vox.

Just realised he has Air Scouts in at moment not Partner but sure he can help you...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve been looking through a lot of pro audio paper units, the highest I could find was a Dayton 15 incher with 102 db eff , you need at least 2 of these per speaker and know how to connect them.

Point I want to make is that the eff matching is key in the whole story if you wanna go passive , If you go active you could just turn the amp up to reach the same sound level

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Kevin did do a matching horn subwoofer for the Air Partners but they were huge. Perhaps 8x4x4ft so essentially you have an entire wall of horns......I don’t really want to go there ideally, not the prettiest set up in the world

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing