Sugden last amp

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I currently have the Sugden SPA-4 power amp with matching LA-4 pre amp, and i couldn't be more pleased. I had a switch go off in my head the other day, and i have somehow convinced myself that i should have the Sugden MPA-4 mono block amps. After selling my current amp, i would still need to spend another $9000.00 on the pair of mono blocks. I am 59 years old now, and looking at this from a financial investment point of view. Will i get my use out of them before i die or lose my hearing etc. I do have 2 wonderful children will inherit all of my audio gear, music library etc. I can afford this, the question is do i need this upgrade? It is more of a want than a need. At what point to i reach the point of diminishing return on this?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Stick with what you like. Spend more if you want to upgrade at whatever your age is (I bought £34K speakers at age 75), and don't worry about whether your kids will want your kit when you're gone.

Incidentally I had the Sugden FPA-4 (the little brother of your amp) and found it dreadfully dull. It was a dealer demo units so went right back. I see that this model was discontinued in 2019. Not really surprised. Although I prefer to avoid Class (or tube) in principle, I did use Accuphase A36 for a couple of yrears. Much better than the Sugden but still lacking in the "tingle factor" I'm looking for in musical presentation.

Reactions: paolo

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I have a second system in my basement, with the Sugden IA-4, and i have found Sugden to be my goto amps. I simply love the sound. The upper system SPA-4 is paired with Dynaudio Confidence20 speakers, and the basement IA-4 has capriccio continuo admonitor 311 speakers. I find both systems to be very bright focused and musical. But we all hear things differently. And i have heard that Accuphase is completely over rated, and over priced.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
All that matters is that you love your system. It also saves a big outlay to replace it of course.

I was using the Sugden and Accuphase with Avantgarde Duo speakers and these are very different from your speakers. I was looking for an SS amp to replace my earlier SET mono amps and tried a dozen of various technologies at home before deciding. I bought the Accuphase used and resold it without loss. What I liked about it was the adjustable gain switch and the 2 selectable pairs of speakers as well as its great sound. However it still lacked the sparkle I was looking for.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
Well after an 8 month wait, My Sugden Mono blocks will be here this coming week. The dealer is going to deliver them to my house and help me get them installed. I am so excited, i can hardly wait.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I received my amps this afternoon and have been playing them for the past 2 hours. My first impressions are ones of excitement and complete satisfaction. Will let amps run for 6 days, apron 150 hours to break them in. So far I have listened to Dave Brubeck, Ruth moody and Black Acid Soul. I am going to be playing music all weekend to make up for the past 8 months of no amps.

Attachments

• 20221014_154438.jpg
    20221014_154438.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 42

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
If they make you happy and it's better than what you had before, who cares about diminishing returns. Sometimes people know the price of everything but the value of none, enjoy your kit. If you can afford it and no one is going without, what is the problem. You know what I say, you can't take the money with you. So enjoy it while you can. ;)

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
If they make you happy and it's better than what you had before, who cares about diminishing returns. Sometimes people know the price of everything but the value of none, enjoy your kit. If you can afford it and no one is going without, what is the problem. You know what I say, you can't take the money with you. So enjoy it while you can. ;)
Thank you and you are exactly right. I am 60 now, and have a career that i can continue with and grow with. By this time in 2023 i am hoping to be the supervisor of my area. I live everyday with open eyes and enthusiasm. I have worked from home for the last 15 years, so music has been a big part of my life, the music plays all day when i am here. I have been blessed and rewarded for my hard work so i do spend my money on things that i can enjoy now.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing