Suggestion for second turntable

davlas

Aug 22, 2018
Milan, Italy
Hi guys,
nice to meet you, this is my first post, I’m hi-fidelity lovers and I have the system in the signature.
As anticipated in the title, I’m searching a second turntable for the second audio system that can be used by my girlfriend.
Why this specific request? I’m not racist and I love women :) , but my girlfriend has no experience in audio and hi-fidelity, for this reason I would have a new small system in which there is not risk to damage the system or LP by not correct usage (she would use my LP’s of principal system).
Which is the best turntable solution? A manual turntable or semiautomatic?
I prefer a good TT, not cheap or toys... With a simple search I have found:
- Manual TT, Rega or Project
- Semiautomatic TT, Audio Technica or Stanton

Thank you in advance,
D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi D

I'm not sure what you mean by semi-automatic but if you mean it has integrated 33.3 and 45 push button controls, I would go for that. I don't see beginners wanting to have to manually change pulleys or onne having to buy an external power supply to avoid that chore. That said, going with Rega, having many good MM carts that must be the easiest things ever to set up, kind of makes up for having to buy that power supply.

On the other end I think you might want to start her out with a good robust MM cart. As for the safety of your records, I guess you'll just have to teach her to use the tonearm lift for cuing and not just at the end of play.

What I set up for my daughter is a Technics SL1200 Mk2 with Ortofon Concorde. In your list, the comparable set up would be a Stanton ST150 M2 with a Groovemaster V3.

davlas

Aug 22, 2018
Milan, Italy
Hi D

I'm not sure what you mean by semi-automatic but if you mean it has integrated 33.3 and 45 push button controls, I would go for that. I don't see beginners wanting to have to manually change pulleys or onne having to buy an external power supply to avoid that chore. That said, going with Rega, having many good MM carts that must be the easiest things ever to set up, kind of makes up for having to buy that power supply.

On the other end I think you might want to start her out with a good robust MM cart. As for the safety of your records, I guess you'll just have to teach her to use the tonearm lift for cuing and not just at the end of play.

What I set up for my daughter is a Technics SL1200 Mk2 with Ortofon Concorde. In your list, the comparable set up would be a Stanton ST150 M2 with a Groovemaster V3.
Thank you jack for reply, for manual I mean the classic TT (all operations for playing are manual), for semiautomatic I mean the TT with button Start/Stop in which the cartridge goes automatically on the LP tracks and when the tracks are finished the cartridge returns automatically in start position (i.e. Audio-Technica AT-LP120).
I have nominated only two of many companies, but I have found other semiautomatic TT (Technics or Pioneer)...
The doubt is for choosing manual TT or Semiautomatic TT (the tonearm works automatically with button Start/Stop).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you that is clearer now :)

I'm very sure your girlfriend will be able to cue manually after just a few guided trials. I wouldn't worry too much about that part. :D

davlas

Aug 22, 2018
Milan, Italy
Any examples for robust MM cart?
I have seen a Thorens TD170 or Pro-ject Primary with Ortofon OM10... Could they be a good solutions?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes certainly. If in doubt go for a model with replaceable styli

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I believe our old friend the Needle Doctor is still around. Also the Technics SL1200i is a hefty releable choice.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
1280px-Technics_SL-1200MK2-2.jpg

davlas

Aug 22, 2018
Milan, Italy
But Technics is oriented for DJs, not for Audiophile...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The 1200 Mk2 was a staple of Radio Stations and home hi-fi before the DJs made it their own. The plinth is heavy and it comes with air bladder feet. To bring it back to its roots, swap the fibre slip mats the DJs use (sounds awful) and replace it with a rubber mat. The aluminum platter is on the flimsy side and the additional damping really helps with inner detail. I would take a 1200 with a better mat over a stock Rega P3 or even a P5. The arm is easily a match for the RB300 and has the benefit of setting VTA without needing to use any shims. The 1200 M5G arm uses better internal wiring for its arm and different arm tube material. Slap an Ortofon Black or a Shure V15 and they are killer good for the money.

The current 1200G has a copper platter and more refinements including an all new motor and more compliant feet but the price is now in primary table territory. It costs 4 times the CA concept while the older brothers can be had for anywhere from a fourth to half the price.

sunny_alice

Sep 27, 2018
Birmingham
I believe something simplistic would suit her needs well. For instance, I was very pleased with my first Rega Planar 2. It's easy to handle (trust me, I'm a girl :D), it's not that expensive and the quality of sound is pretty good. Have a look at the reviews here and here (there's a couple of them, and I think that AT is pretty good option too).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing