Suggestion on a second turntable for mono.

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
I’m thinking about a second turntable with a mono cartridge. Does anyone have any suggestions between 6-10k with a cartridge. I’m open to used.
Thank you for any help or advice.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well mono is slightly less sensitive in some ways. Why not get a quality vintage table and a Gray arm? Even a broadcast would work fine for that.

Reactions: jespera

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This would be good. Put on a mono cart and good to go. It comes with a Bokrand which are impossible to get now (believe me, I paid for one last November, no sign of it)

Reactions: jespera

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I like the look of this one too:

Reactions: Folsom

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you like the Gray tonearm route there is a replica made by Karmadon in Ukraine, should a 'good' vintage one not be readily found. Agree vintage idler is nice.

Don't forget direct-drive. Awesome vintage ones are well discussed. Also you could get into a new STST Motus DQ* with say a Groovemaster tonearm and a modest cost mono cart for the upper end of your stated budget if brand new strikes your fancy...

( caveat: I sell the STST...)

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
Thank you for all the suggestions. does anyone have any direct drive or non vintage suggestions for comparison ? I’m trying to get a variety and then narrow down and research.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The STST is probably the only non-vintage thing in that price range that is really good. Another vintage option that is pretty badass...

For direct drive I also think vintage tends to be a better outlook. I guess there is the PTP turntable.

Junk I wouldn't touch. VPI, Rega, Music Hall, Pro-ject, Clearaudio,

Last edited:

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
I could not open the vintage option link.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have 2 mono cartridges each on a separate turntable.

the Miyajima Infinity mono 1.0 mil stylus is on my Wave Kinetics NVS turntable on a 2nd arm, the Durand Telos 12" with wood arm wand. the NVS might be a little rich as a mono-only tt choice, but it sounds amazing.

then i have the Miyajima Infinity mono 0.7 mil stylus on an EMT948 mounted on a Durand Kairos tonearm. the EMT948 is a reasonably affordable ($4k-$7k) but top performing vintage direct drive and love it. super quiet and very lively and powerful sounding, a great match for my mono records. 948's are out there to be found.

hard to imagine a better "around" $10k mono package than an EMT948/used Kairos arm/Infinity 0.7 mil. on mono pressings it betters both the $75k+ stereo packages next to it. in that equation i do think that the Infinity mono is the key ingredient. it's a remarkable value and plays at the very tip top of mono carts.

the other vintage tt i would pursue is a Garrard 301.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
With the Gates you get a 'gated shifter' ;)

Reactions: Argonaut and Folsom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you like the Gray tonearm route there is a replica made by Karmadon in Ukraine, should a 'good' vintage one not be readily found. Agree vintage idler is nice.

Don't forget direct-drive. Awesome vintage ones are well discussed. Also you could get into a new STST Motus DQ* with say a Groovemaster tonearm and a modest cost mono cart for the upper end of your stated budget if brand new strikes your fancy...

( caveat: I sell the STST...)

The STST is an excellent value TT. Very musical

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I’m thinking about a second turntable with a mono cartridge. Does anyone have any suggestions between 6-10k with a cartridge. I’m open to used.
Thank you for any help or advice.
What keeps you from adding an additional arm with mono cart to your Kronos?
A LOT more budget for arm and cart if you "ditch" the TT :cool:

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
This would be good. Put on a mono cart and good to go. It comes with a Bokrand which are impossible to get now (believe me, I paid for one last November, no sign of it)

Have you chased him? My two took 8 months but I’m very pleased with them now they have arrived. He had forgotten them until I reminded him, but once he was reminded they came fairly quickly. From our email conversations I suspect he’s not very well so you may well be right that they will be impossible to get hold of soon.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Have you chased him? My two took 8 months but I’m very pleased with them now they have arrived. He had forgotten them until I reminded him, but once he was reminded they came fairly quickly. From our email conversations I suspect he’s not very well so you may well be right that they will be impossible to get hold of soon.

I emailed him and he told me about a small hospital stint. Then he said he'd send it right away but nothing ever showed up months later. My last email was unanswered. I understand we can't always predict how health goes but when you have a queue of 20 maybe you should stop if you've already been having health trouble.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Back to the original question I’d probably go for a Garrard 301 (designed for mono replay) with the Bokrand arm and the Miyajima Infinity. Given the budget a fancy plinth for the Garrard is out so perhaps a Layers of Beauty cherrywood one.

Reactions: bonzo75 and jespera

Vinylfan

Jan 12, 2019
I’m in the middle of the same path, ordered a Brinkmann Taurus with a 12.1 arm for my Airtight PC1S and going to put a mono cartridge on my Brinkmann Oasis with the Brinkmann 10.5 arm

Reactions: RichardA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing