Super-Tweeters: Acoustic Information or Phase Information?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I suspect that if each of us sat down for a formal hearing test by a professional audiologist, as I did several years ago, we would be shocked at how poor is our ability to hear much above 12 kHz to 14 kHz, especially if one is above 50 years old.

Sean Casey, founder of Zu Audio, told me that the purpose of a super-tweeter is not to enable us to hear information above 16 to 18 kHz as much as it is to enable us to perceive phase information. The Gryphon Pendragon employs four air motion tweeters per channel to reproduce specifically 18 kHz and above. I am pretty sure the intention is to reproduce primarily or exclusively phase information.

What do you think?

What do you believe is the design purpose of a super-tweeter?

What is phase information?

What does a speaker driver intended to reproduce phase information actually allow us to perceive?

Reactions: HughP3

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I suspect that if each of us sat down for a formal hearing test by a professional audiologist, as I did several years ago, we would be shocked at how poor is our ability to hear much above 12 kHz to 14 kHz, especially if one is above 50 years old.

Sean Casey, founder of Zu Audio, told me that the purpose of a super-tweeter is not to enable us to hear information above 16 to 18 kHz as much as it is to enable us to perceive phase information. The Gryphon Pendragon employs four air motion tweeters per channel to reproduce specifically 18 kHz and above. I am pretty sure the intention is to reproduce primarily or exclusively phase information.

What do you think?

What does a speaker driver intended to reproduce phase information actually allow us to perceive?

Without amplitude phase has no relevancy. For spatial cues to create a visual/aural/neural stimuli the cognitive function of the brain needs to be invoked, and this requires phase-amplitude coupling.

In other words, the amplitude of the high frequencies does matter to auditory sensory systems.

Beyond psychoacoustics, to answer this properly and thoroughly one has to venture into the realm of auditory neuroscience.

In most speaker designs, super-tweeters are implemented to archive the desired frequency response extension or contour; I’m not sure how many speaker designers are venturing into the sensory and motor process side of the auditory system as part of their design.

Last edited:
Reactions: VLS and XV-1

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Ron

Phase information?? Never thought about it that way. Depending on the implementation you can get quite a bit of comb filtering and interference issues because the wavelengths are so short that the physical offset plays havoc with measured on and off axis response.

My point of view is it actually makes matters worse phase wise. You have phase shift in the crossover plus the physical offset between drivers. That physical offset changes the phase relation ship between drivers in both the vertical and horizontal axis as you change listening angles and positions in your room through the crossover region. So unless you cross very high frequency or have very steep slopes it going to bleed into the sub 10K region where we all can still hear. Fortunately comb filtering is not that audible.

Our ears are not that sensitive to phase information. Frequency response is what we are most sensitive too.

I have OLD ears as well. Last time I got a standard hearing test that only goes to 10K I still had normal hearing. Above 10K I have definitely lost some can't hear the transformer in my old analog TV any more!

With me if I have roll off above 15K it doesn't sound right compared to response out past 20k. I think it's more about the amplitude response vs phase. I know I can't hear sine waves out past 12K or so but it does seem to matter.

Rob :)

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well I can tell you YouTube doesn't go over 16khz even though there are sine waves on it. But on Wikipedia there's 17khz and I can hear it...

Truthfully though I don't even care at all if a speaker goes past that. It doesn't seem to add anything.

What do you think?

Hi Ron
Once one leaves the world of spec's and expectations and one plays various HF tones for even an "audio guy" they will usually guess the hf tone is much higher than it's numeric frequency. The reason is we can hear 20KHz or above...BUT those sounds are very rare in life (not present in CD's and other normal recordings) and normally they have to be LOUD and with nothing lower in frequency which easily masks the higher tone.

A look at an equal loudness curve shows how loud high and low frequencies need to be to be audible. At 20Hz, the threshold of detection is about +80dB compared to 3Khz you can hear down to at least 3Hz too, but it has to be about 120dB if i recall correctly. Very High frequencies are the same way, they have to be comparatively loud to be detectable and they are pretty easily masked by mid frequencies where our ears are more sensitive.

Acoustic Phase as outlined by the late Dick Heyser (originator of the first way to measure it as well) is the deviation in phase relative to the input signal once all of the phase shift caused by fixed time delays (like the time to go from the signal applied to the cabinet to the sound arriving at the microphone) is removed.

In that condition (fixed delays removed), the phase response is analogous to any passive electrical circuit. In Heyser's paper's he likened acoustic phase shiift to the sources location moving front to back in position (frequency dependent) according to the amount of phase lead or lag.

In some simulations with headphones, "phase shift" applied to signal generally can be anywhere from inaudible to detectable with some music.

However, the situation with loudspeakers is not as simple, for example and upper and lower driver at crossover both radiate from different points in space and so what you measure so far as phase response, can be very different in other locations.

While home loudspeakers are not expected to preserve the input signal's waveshape like electronics and reproduce that in sound, it is possible to do this

IF the amplitude is flat AND the speaker's phase response is near zero across a broad bandwidth. In that condition, one has a loudspeaker which can also survive several generations of a generation loss test.

Fwiw, a speaker has to produce an amplitude signal in order to have a phase response.

Hope this makes sense
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I've been experimenting with a pair of Townshend Maximum Supertweeters for about a year now and just recently added a second pair. After lots of experimentation, I've found that firing one pair back at the front wall and the second pair out into the room, is the best configuration. What may be of relevance to the subject matter of this post is that this setup sounds best if the pair firing back at the front wall is connected out of polarity.

Reactions: XV-1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron
Once one leaves the world of spec's and expectations and one plays various HF tones for even an "audio guy" they will usually guess the hf tone is much higher than it's numeric frequency. The reason is we can hear 20KHz or above...BUT those sounds are very rare in life (not present in CD's and other normal recordings) and normally they have to be LOUD and with nothing lower in frequency which easily masks the higher tone.

A look at an equal loudness curve shows how loud high and low frequencies need to be to be audible. At 20Hz, the threshold of detection is about +80dB compared to 3Khz you can hear down to at least 3Hz too, but it has to be about 120dB if i recall correctly. Very High frequencies are the same way, they have to be comparatively loud to be detectable and they are pretty easily masked by mid frequencies where our ears are more sensitive.

Acoustic Phase as outlined by the late Dick Heyser (originator of the first way to measure it as well) is the deviation in phase relative to the input signal once all of the phase shift caused by fixed time delays (like the time to go from the signal applied to the cabinet to the sound arriving at the microphone) is removed.

In that condition (fixed delays removed), the phase response is analogous to any passive electrical circuit. In Heyser's paper's he likened acoustic phase shiift to the sources location moving front to back in position (frequency dependent) according to the amount of phase lead or lag.

In some simulations with headphones, "phase shift" applied to signal generally can be anywhere from inaudible to detectable with some music.

However, the situation with loudspeakers is not as simple, for example and upper and lower driver at crossover both radiate from different points in space and so what you measure so far as phase response, can be very different in other locations.

While home loudspeakers are not expected to preserve the input signal's waveshape like electronics and reproduce that in sound, it is possible to do this

IF the amplitude is flat AND the speaker's phase response is near zero across a broad bandwidth. In that condition, one has a loudspeaker which can also survive several generations of a generation loss test.

Fwiw, a speaker has to produce an amplitude signal in order to have a phase response.

Hope this makes sense
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Dear Tom,

Thank you for this explanatory post. I am very embarrassed that I never saw your reply until just now!

Best wishes,

Ron

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . sounds best if the pair firing back at the front wall is connected out of polarity.

I'm so confused. Wouldn't this cause a cancellation effect between the front-firing super-tweeter and the rear-firing super-tweeter?

Reactions: HughP3

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Can you share some measurements, before and after? I never managed to integrate a super tweeter without canceling some of the main tweeter output, but I never tried the Townshend.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Mostly super tweeters are ribbon type or electrostatic, maybe they improve the step response up to the midrange. it certainly depends on how steep the filter is set and on what frequency.
We tried it at KEF Loudspeakers, I found the impulse processing to be more accurate. was more noticeable than the space enlargement of the stage presentation.
no measurement made only my impression

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
This is a photo of the front left corner of the listening room. As you can see, the supertweeters fire at the corners of the room.
View attachment 83728

very interesting. I use a set of Townsend super tweeters on my Wilson Maxx3 speakers. They work and are now part of the system.

Adding another pair firing backwards is an interesting idea. I may pursue as the top of range Wilson speakers also has a rear firing tweeter.
Running 2 sets of super tweeters and the Wilsons from one binding post on the amp might prove the most difficult thing.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know, I just know that it sounds appealing to me. I don't take measurements or go by theory.

I totally respect your view!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
very interesting. I use a set of Townsend super tweeters on my Wilson Maxx3 speakers. They work and are now part of the system.

Adding another pair firing backwards is an interesting idea. I may pursue as the top of range Wilson speakers also has a rear firing tweeter.
Running 2 sets of super tweeters and the Wilsons from one binding post on the amp might prove the most difficult thing.
XV-1, I'm also intrigued by this back to back/out of phase supertweeters setup, but concerned the ergonomics at spkr binding posts may preclude.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been experimenting with a pair of Townshend Maximum Supertweeters for about a year now and just recently added a second pair. After lots of experimentation, I've found that firing one pair back at the front wall and the second pair out into the room, is the best configuration. What may be of relevance to the subject matter of this post is that this setup sounds best if the pair firing back at the front wall is connected out of polarity.
Exlibris, you've got me interested, my Zus have benefited in subtle but worthwhile ways w added Townshend supertweeters. Back to back units? Sounds crazy, but worth a punt.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Exlibris, you've got me interested, my Zus have benefited in subtle but worthwhile ways w added Townshend supertweeters. Back to back units? Sounds crazy, but worth a punt.
I actually got the idea after reading about the Audiosmile Supertweeter MK3s that fire in two directions.

I tried firing the Townshend's in dozens of different directions over the period of about a month before settling on the configuration in the picture. Actually, reversing the polarity on the back-firing pair was one of the last things that I tried.

When I only owned a single pair of the supertweeters I found (after months of experimenting) that they sounded best firing at the ceiling in a slightly toed-in, and slightly 'into the room' angle.

Maybe you could try the configuration with just your single pair? Either put both on top of one main speaker or leave them where they are now but have the left one fire forward and the right fire back? I'm not sure what the experiment would tell you but it would be free to try.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm a little confused...your photo shows you tilting the rears up so the STs fire DOWN...not UP? Or am I missing something?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I'm a little confused...your photo shows you tilting the rears up so the STs fire DOWN...not UP? Or am I missing something?
Sorry, I was unclear. Back when I just had a single pair I fired them up at the ceiling.
Now that I have two pairs, I found that they sounded best when fired slightly downward.

It was a surprise to me as I did not intend on having to change the position of the original pair just because I added the second pair.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing