Supporting musicians when buying non-audiophile High Rez digital music

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
On another thread "Amir buys an LP" I introduced a site that I thought every music lover would know, and one of my most respected digitally-aware members on WBF said that he didn't know it. So, I thought that I would share where I buy some of my best digital (non-audiophile) demo music from.

1) Bandcamp provides a platform for artists to sell their music and "merch". They claim to bring music to an enlightened audience of music lovers who want to support music artists. To date, they have given artists $53million. Their take of the proceeds is only 15%, so much less than Amazon, iTunes, etc. All the music is available in at least high bit rate or variable bit rate mp3, and they encourage their artists to upload in higher resolution.

Why I go to Bandcamp FIRST when buying digital music - the musicians benefit more than if I supported a large corporation like Apple or Amazon.

2) CDBaby - an independent music store that also claims to support the artists ability to keep recording and performing. For downloads, they charge the musicians 9% but they charge an up-front cost to the artist for "hosting". They do say that they have paid out over $250million to artists since they started in 1998. They will also help musicians sell to Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Again, I support CDBaby when buying digital music not just because they have high-rez flac, but also because I want to support musicians.

3) Beatport - my go-to place for alternative music. This is where DJ's go to buy their music, and they have access to high-rez music to impress their patrons in club whereas the visitors only get mp3's. Great place to hang out for psy, trance, house, techno, dubstep, etc.

4) In Europe, you also have access to Qobuz. They sell 24/96 studio masters of some mainstream artists as well (Britney Spears in 24/96 anyone?) just not to the US.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Beatport :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am certainly enjoying the fruits of Gary telling me about bandcamp. THe purchase email says I can actually contact the artist if I wanted! Very nice and friendly service.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Top DJs like Tiesto and Van Buuren use only 24/96. Huge advantage when they go play in Stadiums with thousands of watts behind their huge arrays. Downright hypnotic.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I am certainly enjoying the fruits of Gary telling me about bandcamp. THe purchase email says I can actually contact the artist if I wanted! Very nice and friendly service.

Yes, and they do appreciate it when you contact them. Just drop them a note to say how much you enjoy their music. As a designer/manufacturer I know that I value greatly any appreciation of what I do, and always try to return the compliment. Some artists are shocked that our entire industry exists! That's why Bandcamp lists the high-rez files "for audiophiles and nerds".

Top DJs like Tiesto and Van Buuren use only 24/96. Huge advantage when they go play in Stadiums with thousands of watts behind their huge arrays. Downright hypnotic.

Absolutely! The electronic music performance world lives and dies by hi-rez. They know that their audience can appreciate the difference.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, and they do appreciate it when you contact them. Just drop them a note to say how much you enjoy their music. As a designer/manufacturer I know that I value greatly any appreciation of what I do, and always try to return the compliment. Some artists are shocked that our entire industry exists! That's why Bandcamp lists the high-rez files "for audiophiles and nerds".

Absolutely! The electronic music performance world lives and dies by hi-rez. They know that their audience can appreciate the difference.

I've spent good money on bandcamp, and thanked bands on many occasions, and have gotten very nice responses.:)

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I also frequent Bandcamp, pretty amazing spot. There is a ton of free or name your price music as well, many from established artists. As for shops, Beatport has a big inventory for sure but my preferred are Boomkat.com and Hardwax.com.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing