Sutherland Phono Stages

Arcus7

Jul 29, 2021
Anyone using them in his own system? Experiences with Loco / Little Loco phono stage? Reviews are pretty glowing, as I've seen...

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
I was leaning heavily towards one.

In general one would choose a cart with a low impedance for a trans-impedance phono amp…
So if you have a higher output impedance it may or may not be well suited. (From what I can gather.)

Reactions: SpiritofRadio

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I was fortunate to purchase the first TX Direct Transimpedance phono stage available. I am exceedingly happy with it, coming from a Manley Steelhead. I’m using it with a 350 ?V output cartridge while using the middle gain setting ( though gain is not in the traditional sense). Very neutral to my ears, with great extension on both ends. Really let’s me tailor the tubes in my preamp and amps.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I was fortunate to purchase the first TX Direct Transimpedance phono stage available. I am exceedingly happy with it, coming from a Manley Steelhead. I’m using it with a 350 ?V output cartridge while using the middle gain setting ( though gain is not in the traditional sense). Very neutral to my ears, with great extension on both ends. Really let’s me tailor the tubes in my preamp and amps.
Interesting I'm pretty sure mine was the 1st

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Interesting I'm pretty sure mine was the 1st
Not that it matters, but I got mine from Ron as he was just finishing development of the production version. Also didn’t have any rear panel stickers yet. My understanding from him was it was the first one. Perhaps we got them around the same time.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Not that it matters, but I got mine from Ron as he was just finishing development of the production version. Also didn’t have any rear panel stickers yet. My understanding from him was it was the first one. Perhaps we got them around the same time.
No it don't matter , it seems like you got prototype and I got 1st production . So you are correct my bad

Last edited:

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
No it don't matter , it seems like you got prototype and I got 1st production . So you are correct my bad
Heck, in a way we both have “the first”. Hope you are enjoying the unit as much as I am. Very happy with my decision.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Just redesigned my office rig and looking into Sutherland transimpedance for the Apheta 3. However, I think I might need a phonostage with an output Vrms that's high enough to provide adequate headroom and volume going downstream (feeding a Lampizator DAC w/ analog input as a source selector); my current phono pre has an output of 2Vrms and it wasn't enough.

Any ideas what the Vrms of the little loco, TZ vibe or TZ direct would be?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just redesigned my office rig and looking into Sutherland transimpedance for the Apheta 3. However, I think I might need a phonostage with an output Vrms that's high enough to provide adequate headroom and volume going downstream (feeding a Lampizator DAC w/ analog input as a source selector); my current phono pre has an output of 2Vrms and it wasn't enough.

Any ideas what the Vrms of the little loco, TZ vibe or TZ direct would be?
The Rega Apheta 3 has an input load impedance of 100 Ohms and an output impedance of 10 Ohms which isn't the most ideal cartridge for a trans-impedance / current input phono stage which is for cartridges for very low impedances.
The Rega Aura phono stage is the perfect match for the Rega cartridges in particular the Apehta and Aphelion cartridges.
I had the Rega P10 with Apheta 3 and Rega Aura so have first hand experience of this.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
The Rega Apheta 3 has an input load impedance of 100 Ohms and an output impedance of 10 Ohms which isn't the most ideal cartridge for a trans-impedance / current input phono stage which is for cartridges for very low impedances.
The Rega Aura phono stage is the perfect match for the Rega cartridges in particular the Apehta and Aphelion cartridges.
I had the Rega P10 with Apheta 3 and Rega Aura so have first hand experience of this.
I totally disagree. I had the Apheta 3 with the Sutherland TZ Direct and it worked perfectly. Initially I auditioned it with the Little Loco. I now use the Aphelion 2, which has practically the same specs as the Apheta.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022

Much appreciate your thoughts; I saw your other post going from Aura to P1. Did you try the Sutherlands as part of that move?

Since I'm not using a real preamplifier I care more about a phono stage with adequate oomph coming out, and am looking at Allnic, Sutherland, Manley, etc.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I totally disagree. I had the Apheta 3 with the Sutherland TZ Direct and it worked perfectly. Initially I auditioned it with the Little Loco. I now use the Aphelion 2, which has practically the same specs as the Apheta.

Have you tried the TZ Direct into the TRP's analog input? I'm planning on using my TRP as the source selector, but found that the 2Vrms output of my Vinnie Rossi phono was woefully inadequate. The TRP in DAC mode, would result in a volume of 10 o'clock position, but with analog in I had to crank the volume up to 3 o'clock for a similar volume... waiting to hear back from Lampi Poland and Ron Sutherland to see if this configuration was geared towards a specific input voltage...

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Have you tried the TZ Direct into the TRP's analog input? I'm planning on using my TRP as the source selector, but found that the 2Vrms output of my Vinnie Rossi phono was woefully inadequate. The TRP in DAC mode, would result in a volume of 10 o'clock position, but with analog in I had to crank the volume up to 3 o'clock for a similar volume... waiting to hear back from Lampi Poland and Ron Sutherland to see if this configuration was geared towards a specific input voltage...
Sorry, I haven’t tried the TRP’s analog input because my digital stack is opposite my analog stack on a fireplace wall. Have a chase running between the two.

Reactions: keithc

Gooch

Dec 20, 2013
Florida
I haven't heard the Loco but I have the 20/20 and love it it works really well in my system.

Reactions: RickS

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I haven't heard the Loco but I have the 20/20 and love it it works really well in my system.
I have friends that have the 20/20 and they are very happy with it also.

Reactions: Gooch

Gooch

Dec 20, 2013
Florida
I have friends that have the 20/20 and they are very happy with it also.
Personally, I think I would have to spend a lot more to get more performance. I am looking to get a better cartridge this year.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Much appreciate your thoughts; I saw your other post going from Aura to P1. Did you try the Sutherlands as part of that move?

Since I'm not using a real preamplifier I care more about a phono stage with adequate oomph coming out, and am looking at Allnic, Sutherland, Manley, etc.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply 'keithc'. Much appreciated.

No I have never tried the Sutherland products, although looked at their trans-impedance phonostages.

I was considering (all on the 2nd hand market) the Van Den Hul The Grail, Channel D Seta and Lino C3.3 over a 3 month period whilst I was listening to vinyl with my Kuzma XL DC, 4Point 11" and MSL Eminent Ex cartridge linked to my then Rega Aura.

However I really wanted a CH P1 from the beginning but the price was huge for me even on the second hand market !

Then I saw a one owner 2019 build CH P1 (also for sale with a CH X1) in Audiogon and went for it as it was such a great price.
I couldn't afford the X1 as well as the P1 at the same time. However I am planning this year ASAP to acquire a used X1 to go with my P1 once funds allow me to do so.

The CH P1 is just phenomenal with the MSL Eminent Ex through my headphone system. Can't imagine how my system will sound with the P1 and the MSL Platinum Sig ! And most CH Precision products are also fully upgradable so pretty much future proof too as well as adding another P1 and X1 for true mono set-up (gulp) !

If you ever get the chance to hear a CH P1 with it's current input mode and using a low impedance good to high quality cartridge should do so. The sound is truly amazing !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
In a new chapter in my life, I have left Rega products way behind me now into the long distance now I have my Kuzma XL DC, 4Point 11", MSL Eminent Ex and CH P1. It's a whole new ball game in terms of sound quality, musicality etc.

I can't stop playing my vinyl now and hardly touch my digital source (Chord Blu upgraded with inbuilt M Scaler & Chord DAVE connected together with High Fidelity STORM BNC digital cables).

When I had the Rega P10 with Apheta 3 and Rega Aura PS, I would listen to approx. 25% vinyl, 70% CDs & remaining 5% listening to ripped files off my Macbook to my DAVE. Now, I listen to 85% vinyl, 10% CDs and 5% ripped PC files, the sound is that good / amazing !

• Wow
Reactions: keithc and Bbock

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thank you for your thoughtful reply 'keithc'. Much appreciated.

No I have never tried the Sutherland products, although looked at their trans-impedance phonostages.

I was considering (all on the 2nd hand market) the Van Den Hul The Grail, Channel D Seta and Lino C3.3 over a 3 month period whilst I was listening to vinyl with my Kuzma XL DC, 4Point 11" and MSL Eminent Ex cartridge linked to my then Rega Aura.

However I really wanted a CH P1 from the beginning but the price was huge for me even on the second hand market !

Then I saw a one owner 2019 build CH P1 (also for sale with a CH X1) in Audiogon and went for it as it was such a great price.
I couldn't afford the X1 as well as the P1 at the same time. However I am planning this year ASAP to acquire a used X1 to go with my P1 once funds allow me to do so.

The CH P1 is just phenomenal with the MSL Eminent Ex through my headphone system. Can't imagine how my system will sound with the P1 and the MSL Platinum Sig ! And most CH Precision products are also fully upgradable so pretty much future proof too as well as adding another P1 and X1 for true mono set-up (gulp) !

If you ever get the chance to hear a CH P1 with it's current input mode and using a low impedance good to high quality cartridge should do so. The sound is truly amazing !
Error for 'Can't imagine how my system will sound with the P1'.....it should have said X1 not P1 !

Also forgot to mention (in answer to your reply 'keithc') that even without the additional dedicated X1 Power Supply, the P1 has more than enough power output to match the power output from my Chord DAVE (RCA single ended & XLR balanced) when using the MSL Em Ex through my Hifiman EF1000 Amp & Susvara headphones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing