SW1X Very Special DAC V In Progress - Photos

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Custom SW1X DAC V with pure silver wound output transformers under construction for our customer. 0B7251D0-E194-464B-BD8B-07F68724ABAA.jpeg B1E98D1A-003B-4C42-95C1-4DF3D0E53B57.jpeg AC0F67E0-9C9F-4647-9354-9569A9B6758A.jpeg BAA73506-BADA-40D1-A48E-0CC75AAE343D.jpeg F706C62B-9DB4-45BA-AF91-F173E6612BEC.jpeg

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Awesome!

Hi Joe,
May you tell us more on the silver wire used in the transformers?
What quality of silver can give the best sonics?
Kondo Japan claims that they use aged silver.

Thanks a lot!

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Awesome!

Hi Joe,
May you tell us more on the silver wire used in the transformers?
What quality of silver can give the best sonics?
Kondo Japan claims that they use aged silver.

Thanks a lot!
Hi CK,

Here is Slawa Roschkow’s response to my query about the silver wire:

“The copper that we use in all our EI M6 & SHIB cored transformers is sourced from Italy.
Pure silver is currently sourced from UK. Having said that we may use different sources in the future.

As regarding age, all our products contain aged materials (resistors, conductors and semi-conductors not to mentioned tubes), some of them being on the shelves for decades. Anything that goes into our products, I prefer the oldest over the newest for SQ reasons.”

The board in the photos is Panzerholtz and will house a section that is all hardwired.

Reactions: CKKeung

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Superb old school build quality...Joe given the extensive list of optional upgrade components could you advise as to the main component build list, and if you don’t mind, a guide to price on this particular DAC V ?

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Superb old school build quality...Joe given the extensive list of optional upgrade components could you advise as to the main component build list, and if you don’t mind, a guide to price on this particular DAC V ?
Each level has its basic architecture. Level V DACs are all balanced (Signal output tubes’ anodes connected in and out via transformer coupling) The DAC V shown is as close as you can get to Signature level in a single chassis.

Level V DACs start at $25,000. This one is approximately $86,000. Variables include tube compliment, transformer quality, board material, resistor quality, wiring, capacitor quality etc.

• DAC V Signature in single chassis
  • DAC
    • 1 x TDA1541 S1
  • I/V Conversion
    • Passive
  • Output Tubes
    • 2 x 6SL7 AND 2 x 45
  • Tube Output Amplification Technology
    • Transformer de-coupled (Super HiB DC-core)
    • Pure silver wound
    • Zero NFB
    • Balanced or SE
    • Class A
  • Power Supply
    • Directly heated double diode tube rectified CLC x 2LC (3x choke filtered)
  • Board for Tubes
    • Panzerholtz with specially formulated lacquer
    • Point to point wiring
  • Capacitors
    • Black Gates and copper foil in oil
  • Resistors
    • AN Silver nonmagnetic, tantalum
  • Wiring
    • Pure silver in select places
  • Top Plate
    • Copper
Since the choices are many a simple approach is to determine a budget and allow Slawa to construct your DAC accordingly. Obviously the more you can spend the higher the level of parts. The combination of DHT tubes and transformer coupled signal output defines level V. The profusion of colors and micro dynamics that this DAC delivers is simply stunning. The customer lives in San Francisco and has indicated a willingness for us to demonstrate it in his system:
  • Wilson Alexx V
  • SMc Audio VRE 1-C preamp Signature Version
  • SMc Audio custom mono block 400w amplifiers with outboard power supply and pure silver wound power transformers
  • SW1X DAC V Signature
  • Aurender N30SA
  • PranaWire Nirvana and Sukhavati cables throughout
  • PranaWire Cloud9 Power Conditioner
  • PranaWire Nirvana Linbacker in-line passive power filters (3)
  • PranaWire Annapurna Collector platforms (6)
Please get in touch to arrange an audition.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...quite a custom order! I see the owner has done the same with the legendary Steve McCormack...interesting. I think I might have even heard of this audiophile if he is the same person who was going all-out with Steve McCormack on these custom monos.

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Wow...quite a custom order! I see the owner has done the same with the legendary Steve McCormack...interesting. I think I might have even heard of this audiophile if he is the same person who was going all-out with Steve McCormack on these custom monos.
Very likely yes as these are the highest level amps Steve has made to date. Pretty much everything in this system is close to the highest level possible.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing