Switching all my cables to Cabernet-Sauvignon-infused for superconductivity

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27664/?p1=blogs

But unlike today's high end cables (and their claims), they need to be full of FeTeS material (Ferrite Telluride Sulfur) to begin with, as per article, not copper... yes, I spelled that right, there is a T in the middle, not a C :) - a clear improvement over current cables :cool:

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning, ack. Wouldn't cryogenic treatment do the same thing in theory?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Better, I think, to infuse yourself with the Cab and avoid the FeCeS altogether.

Tim

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good morning, ack. Wouldn't cryogenic treatment do the same thing in theory?

Hi there... No I don't think so, but I'll let the manufacturers who treat them that way speak to the benefits; they know their science and aforementioned materials better than me :D Sorry, I couldn't resist the sarcasm again...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Better, I think, to infuse yourself with the Cab and avoid the FeCeS altogether.

Tim

:D

It's Teluride not Copper, although I suspect you knew that ...I don't know what to make of this ... I wasn't even aware that's superconduction at room temperature was ,yet, feasible .. I am definitely missing something here .. Is this a hoax, a joke, a serious research paper?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Do they mean a better conductor or a superconductor , cuprate perovski ceramic is the material with the highest critical temp in which it becomes a superconductor . ( a hint for the cable companies )
As far as i know one has to hold the temp below the critical temp otherwise its not a superconductor anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuprate

Funny : It was discovered in leiden about 30 k from where i live

superconductivity : An electric current flowing in a loop of superconducting wire can persist indefinitely with no power source.[1]

I ve heard the cable companies are still fighting for the bottom one used at the lhc at cern

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CERN-cables-p1030764.jpg

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
superconductivity : An electric current flowing in a loop of superconducting wire can persist indefinitely with no power source.[1]

Just think that last chord on a Beatles tune could still be playing!!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

If any chord is going to be playing indefinitely, I'll take the first chord in A Hard Day's Night, thankyouverymuch. :)

Tim

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cool , but the cooling shouldnt be restrictid to the speakerwire only then , the whole system room should be below 155 Kelvin , pretty freezing .
All those companies talking about cyrogenic treated cables , i would think the cooling/cyrogenic effect stops as the temp is back to room temp
I ll try to find that out

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
All those companies talking about cyrogenic treated cables , i would think the cooling/cyrogenic effect stops as the temp is back to room temp. I ll try to find that out
The physical properties have already been permanently changed at that point with regards to Cryo treatment. The crystal structure (sometimes called grain structure) becomes consistent or homogenous through the conversion of austenite (one type of crystal) to the desired martensitic crystal (a different shaped crystal). The carbon structure of metals are modified through a mechanism that is technically described as "the precipitation of eta-carbide. Then there is the residual stress relief and resistance measurements that are stable and lowered after a cryo treatment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Cool , but the cooling shouldnt be restrictid to the speakerwire only then , the whole system room should be below 155 Kelvin , pretty freezing .
All those companies talking about cyrogenic treated cables , i would think the cooling/cyrogenic effect stops as the temp is back to room temp
I ll try to find that out

Andromedaaudio,

Sorry to say, but 155 Kelvin is a temperature adequate only for child demonstrators and you are not taking the cable business seriously. :D One of the few places where they do is at CERN, at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). They operate their copper-clad niobium-titanium cables at the temperature of 1.9 K (?271.25 °C). Unless audiophiles heard the effect of using these cables in their system they can not claim that cables have no effect in a system! :)

BTW, serious audiophiles committed to HiRez digital should made their own private stockpile of helium to cool their systems. Considering the theoretical signal-to-noise ratios they can get with their 32 bit systems, may be full enjoyment of such systems can be achieved only at liquid helium cryogenic temperatures. And scientists are claiming that helium is now becoming worryingly scarce:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/18/helium-party-balloons-squandered

Vinyl, reel to reel and RedBook fans can go on listening near their fireplaces using class A and tube amplifiers. :cool:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Where do you find that info , on a cable site or independant info, link ????
The physical properties have already been permanently changed at that point with regards to Cryo treatment. The crystal structure (sometimes called grain structure) becomes consistent or homogenous through the conversion of austenite (one type of crystal) to the desired martensitic crystal (a different shaped crystal). The carbon structure of metals are modified through a mechanism that is technically described as "the precipitation of eta-carbide. Then there is the residual stress relief and resistance measurements that are stable and lowered after a cryo treatment.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello andromedaaudio. Unfortunately I have no links or websites for you. I just cut and pasted from my personal notes on the subject that I had researched earlier on in my audio journey. I'm quite sure that is written/researched somewhere on the vast web but I do not have any direct links for you.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
http://www.nitrofreeze.com/sales_consulting.html i bet robin rhodes knows .
For $15.000 freeze whenever you want

Okay , lets assume the affect stays at room temp and ,....ITS AUDIBLE!!!
Why is not everybody doing it , putting all the preamp /poweramp cables in the cooler or even the circuitboards and connectors(speakerinternal wires connectors) wont be that costly if one has the cooler and on very expensive ones that wont be the cost any way.

What about : A chain is as strong as its weakest link???

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You got me there :

Unless audiophiles heard the effect of using these cables in their system they can not claim that cables have no effect in a system! :) :p:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing