Symposium Ultra platform vs $69 Auralex Isolation platform

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I was sent over here today after posting about isolation for my incoming JL Audio e-110 subs (52 lbs, 13.5"w x 16.5"d). The baby Gramma would be more my size. What I'm wondering is what are the differences between the Gramma, the SubDude, the MoPad and the more robust and expensive ProPad, w x d aside. Anyone know? Also, would it be hard to cut down the Gramma so it didn't extend beyond the sub's borders?

P.S. Looking over at the BabyGramma's being sold on eBay, someone mentions that it used to be called AmpDude. The dimensions are identical. So I wonder what the difference is between the Gramma v2 and SubDude II.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have two more Gramma's waiting for me to pick up my now fixed cj prem 8a monoblock. next week fingers crossed it will be an improvement to what I have now

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
awesome...let us know how that goes XV1. BTW, did you see i quoted an audio Audioholics post you made years ago about the theoretical CJ GAT amp which was a 1000 watt SET thing.

CJ 300B prototype.jpg

http://www.audioaficionado.org/showt...t=9814&page=12

Remember this from CES 2003. Apparently cj have enough parts to make several pairs.

conrad-johnson GAT Amplifier ($38,000) is the company's first venture into 300B tube amplification. This is the only 300B amplifier that outputs 1,000 watts (not a typo). A low ratio transformer is coupled to a push-pull buffer. This keeps the voltage gain characteristics of a 300B but the current gain of the output buffer stage."

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Don't thank me until you used it. You may not like it ;)
Me likey.
Great bang for the buck.
Bass is cleaner ,clearer and more well defined.
Surprised about the improvement in the midrange with clearer vocals( less smear),greater separation of instruments.
How can you go wrong/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have two more Gramma's waiting for me to pick up my now fixed cj prem 8a monoblock. next week fingers crossed it will be an improvement to what I have now

Let us know how that goes! I wonder if HRS DPX damping plates on top would make any further improvement...they have on the CJ GAT2.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I just stuck a Baby Gramma v2 under my EAR 890. The amp had previously been sitting on my bottom pull out rack shelf, which is 2" dense ply. I'm a bit disoriented by the affect it is having actually. The immediate observation is an increase in focus, and micro detail. And it's not a subtle change. I feel there is less bass overhang that was probably bleeding over into the mids. The upper mids through treble now seem brighter - in a good way. Overall, this is an impressive initial result. Ive still got a lot more listening to do so I can fully grasp what has happened here. Haha! So far so good for sure though.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
awesome...let us know how that goes XV1. BTW, did you see i quoted an audio Audioholics post you made years ago about the theoretical CJ GAT amp which was a 1000 watt SET thing.

View attachment 37923

http://www.audioaficionado.org/showt...t=9814&page=12

Remember this from CES 2003. Apparently cj have enough parts to make several pairs.

conrad-johnson GAT Amplifier ($38,000) is the company's first venture into 300B tube amplification. This is the only 300B amplifier that outputs 1,000 watts (not a typo). A low ratio transformer is coupled to a push-pull buffer. This keeps the voltage gain characteristics of a 300B but the current gain of the output buffer stage."

Lloyd. You going to order a pair? This might just be the super amp that cj are working on.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd. You going to order a pair? This might just be the super amp that cj are working on.

That would be amazing. Stupendously happy with Gryphon Colosseum, which is also something we discussed years ago...but a super CJ amp like this would certainly be tempting!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ve just completed my isolation platforms setup for all my gear, but looking for a couple of reasonably priced platforms for Entreq grounding boxes, aquarium pump & small balanced transformer for my linear tracking air arm, and entry level streamer/dac.
Auralex is on my radar.

Wizzer

Aug 16, 2018
North of the 48th parallel
Auralex Acoustics have been around since the late 1970s and remarkably still owed and run by it’s founder ,

I purchased four 14 inch x 17 inch platforms for my video stuff to use until my audio snobbery calms down enough to try them in my audio room .,...,

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
IMG_8472.jpg

Thanks for the review!
I just got the Gramma V2 and it's a good size for 2 of my Entreq Olympus Minimus boxes :D

dubselect

Aug 29, 2021
Auralex Acoustics isolation platforms are excellent value for the money. I am using a few of them - a pair of ProPads, three BabyGramma v2s and one SubDude-II. In conjunction with Symposium Rollerblocks they provide better dynamics, lower background noise and generally fuller, richer, more lifelike sound. I have not noticed any drawbacks after installing them in my audio setup. Highly recommended!

I purchased SubDude-II long time ago and it was sitting under my sub since then. It is amazing upgrade! But then I realized I may also improve the sound quality of my system by installing such platforms under other components and speakers as well.

ProPads, placed under speakers, made the biggest difference. It was less impressive in comparison with Symposium Rollerblock Series 2 double stack with Superballs, but still very significant - it improved soundstage, instrument separation, resolution, clarity and many other things. But most importantly it made the sound more life-like, more real. If you have nor tried ProPads yet, I cannot recommend them highly enough.

They may not look supercool (Hi-End-ish), but their effectiveness is way beyond their prices. Looking at prices of so-called "audiophile" platforms which usually are made of similar materials makes me (and I'm sure some other folks too) feel puzzled and even deceived. Auralex is one of those brands, which still made necessary yet affordable things for audiophiles.

Thank you, XV-1, for discovering these platforms and comparing them with Symposium Ultra platform. It made me take a step forward and order two BabyGrammas. Then I purchased another one and a pair of ProPads. What can I say - there can not be too many Auralex platforms. :)

Attachments

• DSC04508.JPG
    DSC04508.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC04516.JPG
    DSC04516.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04513.JPG
    DSC04513.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04517.JPG
    DSC04517.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04511.JPG
    DSC04511.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: XV-1

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I have a couple of Symposium platforms and just added a BabyGramma v2 today and liking what I'm hearing under my Luxman MQ-88uC. Using in conjunction with Rollerblock Jr's.
Platform1.jpg

Reactions: dubselect

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing