Synergistic Research HFT

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, Here is a follow up: I read the article with interest and found the argument for diffusion or no treatment at the first reflection points instead of absorption to be convincing, so I did some listening experiments the other night. I have a small absorption panel at each side wall located at the first reflection point. I listened to a few familiar tracks. Then I removed them and listened again to the same tracks. Then I replaced the absorption panels and listened a third time. All I can say is that the sound is much better in my room, in my opinion, with the absorption panels in place. Overall clarity, image focus and spacial information are all better with absorption at the reflection points. Everything sounded more natural. I guess I'll follow the advice Mr. Howard offers in his conclusion. "...if it sounds right, it is right. However you achieve it."

Good to know about your experience. What are your absorption panels? Was your room tuned by Jim Smith with the absorption panels in place?

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
There are some tests I don't understand, but if I can read more on the subject and there are people that can help me understand, I'm VERY willing to do so. I think everyone should do this that's passionate about a hobby or profession should do this. It's part of the learning process.
Mr. Davis,

I am very passionate about this hobby (going on some 35 years or so) but with all due respect, who are you to tell me I'm not passionate if I have no personal desire to dig into the "technical / measurement" weeds of a particular piece of hardware?

Part of the learning process? Really. Who are you to judge what I should "learn" or not learn?

Quite a pretentious, arrogant position to say the least.

I also look forward to comments from those who will audition the product.

GG

When it comes to room treatment, acoustic engineers measure things, they will also look at the effectiveness of the treatment product to figure out what will work best to solve the issues of the room. I've talked to many acoustic engineers and have read many articles on the subject. It's just how they are trained. Yeah, subjectivity is great and all, but we also need objectivity. That's how I was taught. It's just the way it is. Audio products are designed by engineers that perform vast amounts of measurements. That's how they decide what design/components to use. It's how they design a product. The average person is usually not technically astute to understand this stuff, but some of us do have a technical background and are taught to measure things. It's not being arrogant, it's being educated. To think that you don't need measurements is being naive.

Now, is it possible to get better room acoustics without measuring anything. Well, nowadays it's possible to get a large improvement, but it's done by understanding room acoustics, and treatment and doing the trial and error and all this does is takes a LOT more time and energy and getting different treatment to figure out what sounds best. The faster way is to talk to an reputable mfg of room treatment, giving them the layout and dimensions of the room and they will compare it to rooms they have already done the measurements and all they are doing is recommending what works in another room that is similar. That can get you there a LOT faster, but those recommendations are based on measurements, they just already did that on a similar room to yours. But that method is just saving money and time to get an improvement when on a limited budget. But if you want someone to professionally come into your home and design a "PERFECT" room for YOU and YOUR equipment. Acoustic Engineers take measurements. LOTS of them and they take them until the room is "perfect" or you run out of money. A "custom" room can easily cost $75K or more for labor, materials. So, if you get someone professionally involved, expect those kinds of numbers. I've been in studios that were professionally designed, but they still had problems because they didn't have enough money or the room treatments available at the time weren't as good as others today.

So, getting back to the point. There are several ways to skin a cat. one is taking measurements and solving the problem and the other is blindingly testing various products. One is based more on scientific approach, the other is not. Which do you think is the better method?

When you have a medical illness, who do you go to? A Doctor will take measurements to find out what your illness is, that's how they are trained.

I don't feel i'm being arrogant, just more informed. My discussion is based on what I've read and the acoustic engineers I've had the pleasure of spending time asking questions.

Last edited:

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
We have many opinions on the effect of sound absorption at the first reflection points, and many divergences here. "Room Acoustics with Attitude," by Keith Howard in the March 2001 Hi-Fi News (p. 74) is a very interesting article referring to this subject and can be found in the Wilson Audifile May/June 2003 - volume 2 issue 3. http://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/vol2no3.pdf

The conclusion is great “But do bear in mind that all such ‘rules’, whoever espouses them, are for the adherence of fools and the guidance of the wise. You won’t find me arguing with the maxim: if it sounds right, it is right. However you achieve it.”

Here's is what I've read about first reflections. You want first reflections to a certain point, but you just don't want them as loud as the direct sound and you want the delay to be within a certain range so things soundstage properly. At least for the side walls. The rear wall, since they are behind you, and further back, you typically want those diffused. At least that's what I've read and heard from acoustic engineers. There are things that we can do to improve the soundstage and I just watched a video on the subject and that has to do with side walls. Now, if your side walls are parallel, which most are (unfortunately), we will also have some amount of flutter echo which is typically treated with diffusors. I guess one can always talk to someone that has dealt with both. When I talk to companies, they usually only suggest what they sell and some companies don't sell diffusers or they don't sell foam. If you go through a AE and they don't work for any company, they will typically recommend only what they've used and there are lots of products on the market and they may not know all of the companies out there. But getting back to the point. It might depend on which first reflection. The rear wall might be best with diffusion and the side walls with foam.

I would talk to a few acoustic engineers and get their opinion, since that's their area of expertise, but this is what I've heard/read.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Good to know about your experience. What are your absorption panels? Was your room tuned by Jim Smith with the absorption panels in place?

ASC Acoustic Tile. It's a beveled panel about 1' X 4'. You may be able to see it in my system photos.

Jim Smith did voice my room with the panels in place, though we did play around with placement and rotation of the panels and tube traps. I installed them after I read his book, "Get Better Sound" in which he recommends absorption at the first reflection points. He also recommended removing my side panels that were at the second reflection points, which I did. He also recommended a small absorption panel 12" behind my listening seat. Because my room also serves at our living room, there is not a lot of room treatment. He worked more or less with what I had on hand and within the aesthetic constraints of the room.

I'm sure each room is different and much depends on personal taste and equipment performance. In general, I think most people want a flatter room response without large bass nodes, slap echo etc.

I did recently try a Highendnovum PMR resonator in my room borrowed from a friend. It is a large 12" brass plate/dish that resonates at certain frequencies. It is meant to be placed between the speakers. It made a positive effect in my friend's system by separating the instruments and increasing overall clarity and focus. It also added some harmonics to his digital based system. However, in my room, the excited frequencies were quite audible, somewhat distracting, and it sounded a bit unnatural. It enhanced harmonics at the expense of clarity, focus and tonal balance. I'm sure this product is also quite system and room dependent. See image below:

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
ASC Acoustic Tile. It's a beveled panel about 1' X 4'. You may be able to see it in my system photos.

Jim Smith did voice my room with the panels in place, though we did play around with placement and rotation of the panels and tube traps. I installed them after I read his book, "Get Better Sound" in which he recommends absorption at the first reflection points. He also recommended removing my side panels that were at the second reflection points, which I did. He also recommended a small absorption panel 12" behind my listening seat. Because my room also serves at our living room, there is not a lot of room treatment. He worked more or less with what I had on hand and within the aesthetic constraints of the room.

I'm sure each room is different and much depends on personal taste and equipment performance. In general, I think most people want a flatter room response without large bass nodes, slap echo etc.

I did recently try a Highendnovum PMR resonator in my room borrowed from a friend. It is a large 12" brass plate/dish that resonates at certain frequencies. It is meant to be placed between the speakers. It made a positive effect in my friend's system by separating the instruments and increasing overall clarity and focus. It also added some harmonics to his digital based system. However, in my room, the excited frequencies were quite audible, somewhat distracting, and it sounded a bit unnatural. It enhanced harmonics at the expense of clarity, focus and tonal balance. I'm sure this product is also quite system and room dependent. See image below:

View attachment 14056

View attachment 14057

View attachment 14058

I've used the compressed fiberglass with the Gilford fabric, it doesn't do well with lower frequencies. It's also very expensive, but it is somewhat attractive since it's a fabric that you can choose colors. I've also used Sonex and Auralex foam as well. I just found about another company that has what appears to be superior foam in terms of dealing with lower frequency absorption. So, I will be checking their products out. In terms of having a chimney, I had the same issue in my last house where the Chimney was in between both speakers. I found out that the only way to deal with that is completely covering up the hole, there isn't much else that can be done with those, unfortunately.

If you need a good bass absorption solution, check out Acoustic Fields, they have these two absorption systems that are effective down to 30Hz. I've been looking around for other solutions to bass issues and have found NONE that have the same levels of absorption down below 100Hz. They might be worth checking out since those lower frequencies are the hardest to deal with. They aren't excessively expensive for what they are, and they can customize them to make them more attractive. Plus, you can buy the plans for $40 and have a carpenter make the pieces so you can glue them together yourself i you want a DIY project, or pay the $1000 to $1200 for each box. They also have them integrated into a quadratic diffusor which seems VERY interesting approach since diffusors are usually needed in diffusing the sound. Combining the two seems like it might be a very effective way to handle bass and diffusion in one product for simplicity.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've used the compressed fiberglass with the Gilford fabric, it doesn't do well with lower frequencies. It's also very expensive... In terms of having a chimney, I had the same issue in my last house where the Chimney was in between both speakers. I found out that the only way to deal with that is completely covering up the hole, there isn't much else that can be done with those, unfortunately.

If you need a good bass absorption solution, check out Acoustic Fields, they have these two absorption systems that are effective down to 30Hz..... Combining the two seems like it might be a very effective way to handle bass and diffusion in one product for simplicity.

Rich, I didn't pay for the panels. I like their effect on the room acoustics and I did not install them to deal with lower frequencies. What issues, exactly, am I having with my chimney? Thanks, but I am not looking for a "good bass absorption solution." I appreciate all of the unsolicited free advice, but perhaps you should hear my system or read some of the comments from those who have heard it before offering me any more suggestions. You are more than welcome to PM me to set up a visit.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Rich, I didn't pay for the panels. I like their effect on the room acoustics and I did not install them to deal with lower frequencies. What issues, exactly, am I having with my chimney? Thanks, but I am not looking for a "good bass absorption solution." I appreciate all of the unsolicited free advice, but perhaps you should hear my system or read some of the comments from those who have heard it before offering me any more suggestions. You are more than welcome to PM me to set up a visit.

All panels will do well in the upper frequencies, but if the panels have better absorption in the lower frequencies of the vocal range, it will help improve timbre.

well, I had bass issues as most people will have bass issues with small rooms. Once we get down below 100hz, that's all I was suggesting.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
well, I had bass issues as most people will have bass issues with small rooms. Once we get down below 100hz, that's all I was suggesting.

You seemed to be suggesting much more. I chose my current speakers because of the size of my room. I have tube traps in the room and had the system professionally voiced by an excellent set up guy. He measured the bass response, and it is surprisingly smooth. I hear very few issues. You seem to tend to provide specific advice which is not always solicited and yet, you have not heard this system which you think you know something about. It's very curious.

Perhaps you should order a set of the SR HFT devices, which I have heard on two occasions, and then report back to us on this forum, what you think about their effectiveness.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
You seemed to be suggesting much more. I chose my current speakers because of the size of my room. I have tube traps in the room and had the system professionally voiced by an excellent set up guy. He measured the bass response, and it is surprisingly smooth. I hear very few issues. You seem to tend to provide specific advice which is not always solicited and yet, you have not heard this system which you think you know something about. It's very curious.

Perhaps you should order a set of the SR HFT devices, which I have heard on two occasions, and then report back to us on this forum, what you think about their effectiveness.

Sorry, but I don't buy products that aren't tested by RAL or are recommended by an experienced Acoustic Engineer with professional installations. Good try.

That's good that your room doesn't have bass issues, most do. My last room was 20' length and it had severe bass issues, but I don't have that home anymore. Thank God. But I only go to Acoustic Engineers to have make recommendations, I look at RAL curves of the products in question and then i will talk to different people with experience in the product(s). I've used in the past various ASC tubes of various diameters, Auralex, Sonex, standard compressed fiberglass with Guilford fabric of different sizes, and other products with good and not so good results in both a home theater/ music listening room, to project studio control room and tracking room for drums, guitar, vocals, etc. Each has their own set of issues to deal with.

I just now am trying to get a better understanding of the various problems, what works, what doesn't, and what makes sense, but I will ALWAYS consult with an acoustic engineer before and during the process. IF I can afford to have someone come out and conduct measurements, even better, but sometimes we just don't have the budget, but a lot of the room treatment mfg that are serious players, have decades of experience in a variety of conditions and they gone through lots of measuring of different layouts/dimensions and they leverage that to assist us when we are on a constrained budget. I have been told by several AE's, do NOT buy a product if they don't provide RAL or similar independent measurements of a room treatment that's on the market since there is no predictability to draw from.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014

Who's Jim Smith? I know a Jim Smith that worked at a local Audio store, but that Jim Smith didn't really know much about room acoustics, but you probably know a different Jim Smith, but in all my years, i don't know the Jim Smith you are referring to. What products is he intimately familiar with? What professional studios and listening rooms has he been involved with? Does he have a website I can visit to read more about this person you are referring to?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sorry, but I don't buy products that aren't tested by RAL or are recommended by an experienced Acoustic Engineer with professional installations. Good try.

That's good that your room doesn't have bass issues, most do. My last room was 20' length and it had severe bass issues, but I don't have that home anymore. Thank God. But I only go to Acoustic Engineers to have make recommendations, I look at RAL curves of the products in question and then i will talk to different people with experience in the product(s). I've used in the past various ASC tubes of various diameters, Auralex, Sonex, standard compressed fiberglass with Guilford fabric of different sizes, and other products with good and not so good results in both a home theater/ music listening room, to project studio control room and tracking room for drums, guitar, vocals, etc. Each has their own set of issues to deal with.

I just now am trying to get a better understanding of the various problems, what works, what doesn't, and what makes sense, but I will ALWAYS consult with an acoustic engineer before and during the process. IF I can afford to have someone come out and conduct measurements, even better, but sometimes we just don't have the budget, but a lot of the room treatment mfg that are serious players, have decades of experience in a variety of conditions and they gone through lots of measuring of different layouts/dimensions and they leverage that to assist us when we are on a constrained budget. I have been told by several AE's, do NOT buy a product if they don't provide RAL or similar independent measurements of a room treatment that's on the market since there is no predictability to draw from.

Wow not another plug for Acoustic Fields? Color me shocked.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Wow not another plug for Acoustic Fields? Color me shocked.

I'm going by comparing their RAL measurements of their products compared to other similar products and looking at the response curves. Which is what I am going by. Go compare RAL measurements.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Who's Jim Smith? I know a Jim Smith that worked at a local Audio store, but that Jim Smith didn't really know much about room acoustics, but you probably know a different Jim Smith, but in all my years, i don't know the Jim Smith you are referring to. What products is he intimately familiar with? What professional studios and listening rooms has he been involved with? Does he have a website I can visit to read more about this person you are referring to?

Rich, You must have gone to my system page to discover that I hired Jim Smith to voice my system to my room. Or perhaps you read my review of his "RoomPlay" service that I posted on this forum. To learn more about him and his service, you can do a simple Google search for "Jim Smith, Get Better Sound." You seem to be doing a lot of internet research and talking to acoustical engineers. That is great and I wish you well in your endeavors. I hope you learn something. I ask you with all respect to please refrain from offering me unsolicited advice about my room or my system. You have not heard my system, and I am not interested in your advice.

You also do not seem to have heard the SR HFT devices, which I have heard in two different rooms. So, having not heard them yourself, perhaps you should refrain from discussing them also. Thank you.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Go talk t Gene Pitts. He's a reviewer of audio equipment for many years. He endorses their products.

Whew had me worried for a minute that you missed another opportunity to plug AF products.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Whew had me worried for a minute that you missed another opportunity to plug AF products.

Miles, I have recommended that people talk to a variety of companies, see what they recommend, evaluate the RAL curves, ask questions ans hopefully you'll choose the best product within your budget. I just recommended looking at AE because they are a smaller company and their products have pretty damn impressive RAL curves and their products seem to be very reasonably priced for what they do. I don't see what your problem is. I look at more than one commonly. I am currently looking at about 8 different companies. some I've had experience with some of their products some not.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Rich, You must have gone to my system page to discover that I hired Jim Smith to voice my system to my room. Or perhaps you read my review of his "RoomPlay" service that I posted on this forum. To learn more about him and his service, you can do a simple Google search for "Jim Smith, Get Better Sound." You seem to be doing a lot of internet research and talking to acoustical engineers. That is great and I wish you well in your endeavors. I hope you learn something. I ask you with all respect to please refrain from offering me unsolicited advice about my room or my system. You have not heard my system, and I am not interested in your advice.

You also do not seem to have heard the SR HFT devices, which I have heard in two different rooms. So, having not heard them yourself, perhaps you should refrain from discussing them also. Thank you.

It doesn't list Jim's credentials or that he's done work with any major studio and I am HIGHLY suspicious from the fact that he's recommending room treatment products that have no RAL measurements. I've dealt with various AE's and they typically only recommend RAL measured products. Metal is NOT something that is normal for the room treatment industry. I have not seen any recording studio, mastering studio or anyone that I feel has serious credentials working with the high end professional installations that use metal as a form of room treatment. It's usually foam, compressed fiberglass panels with Guilford fabric, tube traps (al la ASC), quadratic diffusors things like that. So, from that standpoint, I see nothing on Jim's site that lends much credibility that I would look at. If you like the products you have and haven't spent time learning what professional environments use, then that's your thing. I hate to say this as to not offend you, but the products you have mentioned that you are using are NOT what the serious professionals use. If someone approached someone like a Bob Ludwig, George Massenburg, or any of the most reputable studio engineers and mastering engineers about those products, you would probably get laughed at. They only use what are tried and true products that have measurements to back up the product. Sorry, but I think you might have chose someone that might be taking advantage of you and I hate seeing that happen. Sorry, but I'm just giving you a little perspective on these un-tested methods of treating a room because they make no sense that they improve the sound quality of a room.

Maybe I should market some bubble gum to audiophiles, raise the price to $1000 a stick, wrap in gold foil, and put it in a wooden box and tell people to place it all over their equipment after chewed so it dampens the equipment from resonances.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I don't know why RichDavis go on and on about RAL and Acoustic Fields measurements.

The reality is that Acoustic Fields and other acoustic treatment companies (eg. RPG, ASC) only provide absorption coefficient measurement (usually in the 100-1000 Hz range). This info helps the buyer to choose between different bass panels but doesn't tell a buyer how many panels/traps to buy, or where to place them. I've had good experiences with ASC, GIK, and Rives, but they can only provide guidelines about placement and the extent of acoustic treatments. They usually suggest to start with a basic package and then add more as needed (usually based on listening tests).

It should also be noted that Acoustic Fields doesn't provide any measurements for their diffusor panels. I suspect the reason is the lack of a widely accepted standard.

Lastly, Acoustic Fields or other companies don't provide in-room measurements before-and-after using their acoustic treatments. This info is only available from an on-site visit and can be expensive because each sound room is different.

RichDivis's nightmare is probably that the Acoustic Fields or HFT customer has to do the final evaluation using a wide range of music. The horror! I think the average audiophile can learn to hear room and component differences. For example, is the bass more extended and articulate? Is it easy to follow the bass line or hear the hall ambiance? For the mid-range and treble balanced? Is the timbre accurate natural? Are there any hot spots? Does the soundstage match the music?

Professional musicians and critics go through the same process to fine-tune a new concert hall or venue. Some halls have even added adjustable acoustic features (eg. diffusors) that can be re-positioned for different music or audience size. If measurements were infallible, we would not have so many bad-sounding halls or expensive acoustic makeovers.

As a happy ASC and FEQ/HFT customer, I can attest that familiar recordings have never sounded better. For example, Brubeck's Take 5 (45 rpm), Norah Jones Come Away with Me (DSD), Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions (45 rpm) sound detailed, natural, and dynamic. You'll probably have to spend much more (with less WAF) to get better results than the HFT.

Let your ears be the final judge.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I don't know why RichDavis go on and on about RAL and Acoustic Fields measurements.

The reality is that Acoustic Fields and other acoustic treatment companies (eg. RPG, ASC) only provide absorption coefficient measurement (usually in the 100-1000 Hz range). This info helps the buyer to choose between different bass panels but doesn't tell a buyer how many panels/traps to buy, or where to place them. I've had good experiences with ASC, GIK, and Rives, but they can only provide guidelines about placement and the extent of acoustic treatments. They usually suggest to start with a basic package and then add more as needed (usually based on listening tests).

It should also be noted that Acoustic Fields doesn't provide any measurements for their diffusor panels. I suspect the reason is the lack of a widely accepted standard.

Lastly, Acoustic Fields or other companies don't provide in-room measurements before-and-after using their acoustic treatments. This info is only available from an on-site visit and can be expensive because each sound room is different.

RichDivis's nightmare is probably that the Acoustic Fields or HFT customer has to do the final evaluation using a wide range of music. The horror! I think the average audiophile can learn to hear room and component differences. For example, is the bass more extended and articulate? Is it easy to follow the bass line or hear the hall ambiance? For the mid-range and treble balanced? Is the timbre accurate natural? Are there any hot spots? Does the soundstage match the music?

Professional musicians and critics go through the same process to fine-tune a new concert hall or venue. Some halls have even added adjustable acoustic features (eg. diffusors) that can be re-positioned for different music or audience size. If measurements were infallible, we would not have so many bad-sounding halls or expensive acoustic makeovers.

As a happy ASC and FEQ/HFT customer, I can attest that familiar recordings have never sounded better. For example, Brubeck's Take 5 (45 rpm), Norah Jones Come Away with Me (DSD), Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions (45 rpm) sound detailed, natural, and dynamic. You'll probably have to spend much more (with less WAF) to get better results than the HFT.

Let your ears be the final judge. This is not a new idea.

Go ask Acoustic Fields for in-room measurements on their product before and after. Have you asked? Maybe they will provide you such tests. I'm sure they have tests of a room without any room treatment and then tests of a fully treated room with their products. Why don't you ask? You probably may not know what to look at, but I'm sure they probably have those tests, so give them a call. But I think what you seem to have a problem is that when a room is treated, they constantly go through tuning it for the client with whatever equipment they have to what the client likes. Audio systems in the same room will sound different, as is the customer's taste. But when they suggest products, they typically take rooms that have been modeled and tested, get the room that's the closest to yours, and make suggestions. There are always fine tuning because systems change and tastes of the listener changes.

I think you may not understand this process and I think you are afraid or not interested in learning about it, and the HFT/FEQ gives you the warm and fuzzies that you have what you want with as little pain as possible. Why don't you listen to AE's products? They have money back guarantee. Their products are used in top recording studios and other audiophiles. Are you afraid?

Quadratic diffusors are different than acoustic foam and absorption products. Nice try. Why don't you call the mfg and ask them. Maybe he can explain it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014

Let your ears be the final judge. This is not a new idea, and is certainly more enjoyable than responding to trolls :)
]

Here's a simple test to see if those devices work. Take the HFT off the wall, turn off the FEQ. Then go around the room and clap your hands to hear whatever reverberation around the room. Then put the HFT's back up, turn on the FEQ and then do the same clapping of your hands to hear the reverberations. There will be NO DIFFERENCE. That's one way to hear your room, just by simple clapping of your hands. Now if you did the SAME test of clapping your hands and you put up acoustic foam in the suggested locations. YOU WILL HEAR A DIFFERENCE as you clap your hands around the room. Diffusors? Same thing. You will hear a difference just doing the clapping your hands test without playing any music through your system.

Go ahead and do these tests.

The more reverberations you have, the more it negatively affects your system. Always remember, higher frequencies travel more in straight lines vs waves that lower frequencies produce. Too much reverb in a room affects the system's ability to sound clear as a lot of smearing and other artifacts are masking the direct sound from the speakers. You have to do sometime to cut down the first, second and third reflections. That's measurable and audible. There are good ideal ranges that MOST people find pleasing.

Listen for flutter echo. that's typically present in rooms with parallel walls that are fairly close to one another. If you can hear flutter echo, that can be treated by diffusors. See if you have flutter echo.

There aren't too many things that will really control low frequencies. No little dots on the wall will do a damn thing about that. No box you plug in the wall will do anything about that.

Humor me, do the clapping tests to find out how much reverberations and flutter echo are present in the room before and after HFT/FEQs are installed. Heck, just foam/diffusors placed in strategic places will greatly reduce reverberations in the room to get rid of what's masking your system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing