System Videos

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Generally speaking,

Much like an audio show, my belief is a video can give an impression but not nearly enough information to draw conclusions.

One thing for certain they are a lot of fun.... I suppose they can also draw controversy on a forum.

From Wamms, Goldmund Epilog, Quad HQD modified, Avantgarde Trio, MBL, ML Statement and CLx - Audio Antiquary in Italy has some fabulous equipment videos posted. Since I love and have an appreciation for vintage, it interesting to see these speakers. I have only seen the Wamms , for example, on the cover of Stereophile years ago.

I got there searching for Beveridge Speakers, he has a pair and two videos up of my Beveridge type speakers. Fascinating.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Generally speaking,

Much like an audio show, my belief is a video can give an impression but not nearly enough information to draw conclusions.

One thing for certain they are a lot of fun.... I suppose they can also draw controversy on a forum.

From Wamms, Goldmund Epilog, Quad HQD modified, Avantgarde Trio, MBL, ML Statement and CLx - Audio Antiquary in Italy has some fabulous equipment videos posted. Since I love and have an appreciation for vintage, it interesting to see these speakers. I have only seen the Wamms , for example, on the cover of Stereophile years ago.

I got there searching for Beveridge Speakers, he has a pair and two videos up of my Beveridge type speakers. Fascinating.

Interesting link. Thanks.

You're right, such videos are very much like audio shows and yes, they generally can only give a glimpse of a playback system's potentials and limitations.

But such videos are invaluable giving us insight into where others are coming from. Some good, some bad, and some ugly.

Before we could only take others at their words that they really didn't know what they were doing or talking about but videos will generally provide just enough info so we can easily confirm our suspicions. :)

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
No comparison between an audio show, where you are listening to the actual equipment and can infer the impact of the room since you are in it, and a video of a system playing which even if it is done by professional sound engineers is a recording of recorded music. How many posters have purchased demo equipment off the show floor or auditioned and purchased equipment at a dealer that you heard first at an audio show (I've done both). And how many posters have purchased or would purchase equipment based on a system video?

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
No comparison between and audio show, where you are listening to the actual equipment and can infer the impact of the room since you are in it, and a video of a system playing which even if it is done by professional sound engineers is a recording of recorded music. How many posters have purchased demo equipment off the show floor or auditioned and purchased equipment at a dealer that you heard first at an audio show (I've done both). And how many posters have purchased or would purchase equipment based on a system video?
You pretty much misread / misinterpreted my point above which does not surprise me. But I'd be interested to learn what you know about the value of listening to videos? I coulda' swore you made it pretty clear that videos deserve no credence whatsoever - even though you're going to try to make your own videos per a thread you recently opened?

Seems to me that you're speaking outta' both side of your mouth depending on which thread you're in.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Misinterpreted?

You posted above "....such videos are very much like audio shows and yes, they generally can only give a glimpse of a playback system's potentials and limitations....".

I responded to that by saying ".....No comparison between an audio show, where you are listening to the actual equipment and can infer the impact of the room since you are in it, and a video of a system playing which even if it is done by professional sound engineers is a recording of recorded music....".

What did I misinterpret?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Generally speaking,

I have been here. I got to listen to the Beveridge and the the klipsh corner. Both were not really good. The CLX was at superior. He preferred the CLX most from his stock too. Since I have not heard the Beveridge elsewhere I don't know if it was a representative sound

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have been here. I got to listen to the Beveridge and the the klipsh corner. Both were not really good. The CLX was at superior. He preferred the CLX most from his stock too. Since I have not heard the Beveridge elsewhere I don't know if it was a representative sound
In the video it sounded very separated top and bottom.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I would agree from the video that the Bev's did not sound as nearly continuous as the CLX. I am not sure what he is using to cross over and if he is using those old subs of the original ( they called them "commodes" in the day . LOL) but that system in its original form does not age well. BTW we have a member here with a pair of CLXs that I get the opportunity to hear, fabulous speakers- I have their perspective in my mind.

I've have completely redesigned direct drive amps with tube front end- no transistors like the original- and use and array of modern REL subs. I've ditched the Beveridge crossover as well- too much haze introduced.- I use a custom V cap cross over.

The line arrays are fabulous, however, the system needs a lot of help at the extremes and with the direct drive amps to play in 2021.

It looks like a fun place to visit, hopefully when travel opens up soon for me , I can make it part of a European tour.......

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would agree from the video that the Bev's did not sound as nearly continuous as the CLX. I am not sure what he is using to cross over and if he is using those old subs of the original ( they called them "commodes" in the day . LOL) but that system in its original form does not age well. BTW we have a member here with a pair of CLXs that I get the opportunity to hear, fabulous speakers- I have their perspective in my mind.

I've have completely redesigned direct drive amps with tube front end- no transistors like the original- and use and array of modern REL subs. I've ditched the Beveridge crossover as well- too much haze introduced.- I use a custom V cap cross over.

The line arrays are fabulous, however, the system needs a lot of help at the extremes and with the direct drive amps to play in 2021.

It looks like a fun place to visit, hopefully when travel opens up soon for me , I can make it part of a European tour.......

Cheers.

You might not be able to listen to all the stuff, only 2 or 3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing