T.H.E. Show 2021 -- The Video Interviews

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Nice interviews, Ron. Interesting and direct dialogue.

Thank you. I was determined not to ask bland and boring questions like "how did you get into audio?" and "what was your first stereo?"

The Paul Paddock interview went pretty long, but I think it stayed mostly design-oriented/technical.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Good job Ron ! Keep them coming ! :)

Reactions: Re-tread and Folsom

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
This was really well done, great choice in very interesting products and the questioning came from a place of good experience.

Thanks for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Who has heard the MC Audiotech Forty-10 loudspeakers?
I have a couple of times at the Capital Audiofest. I have known Mark Conti since the 90’s And actually have his old speakers, Impact in my HT system. his current speakers show potential. Have not heard the latest iteration though. I will have to give him a call.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
An interesting selection of equipment in company with some relaxed interviewing...I would have liked to hear a little audio quality footage of the speakers in action tho.

Reactions: PeterA and bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
...I would have liked to hear a little audio quality footage of the speakers in action tho.

I understand.

As this was our first video effort with untried equipment we definitely were not up for the additional and separate equipment requirements of the high quality recording portion of the WBF video project. By this I mean we did not want to carry and repeatedly set up the two Earthworks flat frequency response microphones.

Also, even if we did employ that other set of equipment I don't think we can get sufficiently background noise free audio unless the exhibition room is briefly closed for our exclusive use.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
T.H.E Show ticket sales surpassed both 2019 and 2018! Imo THAT is a very good omen!!

And I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED your interviews - you picked three EXTREMELY interesting speakers to delve into, speakers that I am very glad to have learned more about. That MC Audiotech Forty-Ten has a lot of innovation going on, and I really like the designer's approach to combining multiple drivers which cover the upper frequency range. Imo THAT is the geometry to use, if you can. You see it sometimes in prosound but I don't recall seeing it done in home audio before.

Thank you and Tinka and Steve and Julian for producing this.
Bozak used an array of drivers in a similar Wayne course bass was handled differently. There were others too just don’t recall the brands right now, some were like a multifaceted ball for 360 dispersion but the 40-10 seems to have a new custom transducer and the array was chosen as a match for them. Would be interesting to see the impedance measurements to know how easy they are to drive but in any case efficiency claims for half a speaker is a ruse! One that really gets me! To add insult to injury he claims that you can use any solid state amp of sufficient power, whatever that means, for high end sound as if bass doesn’t require quality! So any two amps from any technology and quality will blend in?

david

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . he claims that you can use any solid state amp of sufficient power, whatever that means, for high end sound as if bass doesn’t require quality! So any two amps from any technology and quality will blend in?

david

He is a loudspeaker manufacturer, and I interpreted his comment simply to suggest that the Forty-10 speaker is flexible, easy-to-drive, and not fussy in its amplifier requirements. To prove this, his entire electronics chain was modest price-wise and light weight-wise.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
He is a loudspeaker manufacturer, and I interpreted his comment simply to suggest that the Forty-10 speaker is flexible, easy-to-drive, and not fussy in its amplifier requirements. To prove this, his entire electronics chain was modest price-wise and light weight-wise.
How did it sound ? Your personal opinion please ! :)

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I understand.

As this was our first video effort with untried equipment we definitely were not up for the additional and separate equipment requirements of the high quality recording portion of the WBF video project. By this I mean we did not want to carry and repeatedly set up the two Earthworks flat frequency response microphones.

Also, even if we did employ that other set of equipment I don't think we can get sufficiently background noise free audio unless the exhibition room is briefly closed for our exclusive use.
Oh...entirely understandable Ron..I look forward to a day when you might be better set up and in circumstances more conducive to such performance specific recordings.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How did it sound ? Your personal opinion please ! :)

Focusing on the video report recording process I did not have the opportunity to sit there for an extended period of time and listen leisurely to my usual tracks.

With that caveat, I thought the speaker sounded fantastic, and very promising. Otherwise I would not have requested an interview with the designer.

I thought the speaker exhibited unusually natural off-access response. I think it had a lot of the openness of a planar.

I like that it is a sensitive speaker. (I, personally, am pretty much unsympathetic to low sensitivity, multi-way, complex-crossover cones in boxes these days -- except for the top-of-the-line contenders in that topology.)

In the $40,000 range, I think I would prefer this speaker over any competing conventional, multi-way, complex cross-over cone speaker.

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Great show appetizers Ron, unfortunately European shows are on hold at this time.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Focusing on the video report recording process I did not have the opportunity to sit there for an extended period of time and listen leisurely to my usual tracks.

With that caveat, I thought the speaker sounded fantastic, and very promising. Otherwise I would not have requested an interview with the designer.

I thought the speaker exhibited unusually natural off-access response. I think it had a lot of the openness of a planar.

I like that it is a sensitive speaker. (I, personally, am pretty much unsympathetic to low sensitivity, multi-way, complex-crossover cones in boxes these days -- except for the top-of-the-line contenders in that topology.)

In the $40,000 range, I think I would prefer this speaker over any competing conventional, multi-way, complex cross-over cone speaker.
Dear Ron,
It might be a fine speaker but at best and depending on its impedance characteristics, only half of it might be easy to drive but as a whole it’s definitely not a sensitive speaker. Those twin 18” woofers in a vented cabinet will consume plenty of current to make bass and you HAVE to match the two halves with similar or same electronics, something people should be aware of and consider in the overall cost.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Hi Ron, without having the time to leisurely listen to your usual audition tracks, how can you make the last statement so confidently?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron, without having the time to leisurely listen to your usual audition tracks, how can you make the last statement so confidently?

That is a totally fair question!

Not so confidently -- I wrote that "I think." Sometimes you can just tell when you at least like something.

I know I like the design. Also I like the Audionec speaker which uses an older version of Paul's driver.

I heard Marc Conti play a couple of Fleetwood Mac songs which I know well.

Finally, I do not think there is any multi-way, complex cross-over, conventional cone speaker in the $40,000 range I like much.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you. I was determined not to ask bland and boring questions like "how did you get into audio?" and "what was your first stereo?"

The Paul Paddock interview went pretty long, but I think it stayed mostly design-oriented/technical.

This is very interesting to know - did you somehow prepare for the interviews? Did you have a general concept of what do you want to ask or did you commit some precise notes with questions?

It looks like you were really well prepared, so my question would be - was it a matter of preparation, industry knowledge or just good acting? :cool: I guess you weren't that much stressed, were you?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is very interesting to know - did you somehow prepare for the interviews? Did you have a general concept of what do you want to ask or did you commit some precise notes with questions?

It looks like you were really well prepared, so my question would be - was it a matter of preparation, industry knowledge or just good acting? :cool: I guess you weren't that much stressed, were you?

Thank you.

Once I selected Audiotech as an interviewee I prepared for the interview by researching the design of the loudspeaker on the company's website.

I did not prepare questions in advance. I did not discuss prospective questions with the interviewees.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you.

Once I selected Audiotech as an interviewee I prepared for the interview by researching the design of the loudspeaker on the company's website.

I did not prepare questions in advance. I did not discuss prospective questions with the interviewees.

Wow, Ron! I really did not expect such a level of improvisation... I take my hat off to this !

The last question remains - are you satisfied with effects of your project? Will there be more videos coming?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am pretty happy with the first video. Next time we will try to avoid jerky camera motions. I have to remember not to wear round-neck shirts which slightly muffle my mic audio.

Yes, the next video will be a member visit and interview. We will be planning this visit in the next few weeks.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am pretty happy with the first video. Next time we will try to avoid jerky camera motions. I have to remember not to wear round-neck shirts which slightly muffle my mic audio.
Brilliant! All what is left is to take some time and expect your next video.

Yes, the next video will be a member visit and interview.
Do you mean visting a WBF forum member and interviewing him?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing