TAD CR-1's with moderate to higher powered tube amps like REF 250's ? ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with TADs and fairly high powered tube amps like an ARC REF 150 or ARC REF 250's or even CJ ART amps. I am thinking of dedicating my CR-1's to an all vinyl, all tube setup and ARC is high on my list as well as a Manley Steelhead as the possible only preamp, eventually leading to a REF 10 + REF 250 combo. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Joe,

I think you need a new pair of speakers. A friend of mine just tested the CR-1s in his setup, and concluded that they are just too hot on top.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Interesting, I find them to be slightly darker up top than I would like. Removing my 18NS preamp (going direct) and switching from Siltech to Nordost brought me closer but still not as sparkly and airy as a Raidho ribbon. What electronics did your friend use? Possibly a very bright room also?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
911 bridgesd to mono + 077 with an external PSU.

In his setup Dynaudio Temptation and Focal Grande Utopia BE (which he has in another room) sound more natural / less forced on top.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I was going to ask if he used Burmester in my last message but ended up leaving it out :p.

TAD + Burmester is a no-no, I ran this combo myself for over 6 months and so I can understand the comment perfectly. Joe also had 911 monos on the TAD's and sold them. Way too edgy, too much of a ballsy and nervous presentation.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yup. I didn't like Burmester on my TADs.

The hotness is definitely source dependant for me. On poorly recorded music and cds, it can be tough to take sometimes. When the source is great, OMG! It's amazing.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joost

To me, the amp doesn't matter although the Dartzeel is the best of the bunch. I tend to be more sensitive to high frequency and too much can be uncomfortable for me. I have some cds and sacds that sound stunningly great. But we all have those crappy cds that are just a little difficult to listen to, especially on the TADs. Don't get me wrong, my TADs sound amazing and for 95+% of what I listen to are unbeatable. I guess at this level I'm just getting a little picky. For the volume and times I listen, really I'm loving what I hear, but like all of us in this hobby, I'll never just have one system.

Joe- are you getting this also on the 108B?

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Gotcha. I wonder if this 5% will sound good on any system though... (that isn't some massively colored syrupy mess :p).

Exactly. I think in the long run, I am doing great. No system plays everything well. Can I get better? Don't think so. Different? Yes.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Joe,

I don't see you playing around much with source components. I also had that issue with bad recordings, when I used dCS. Brilliant players, but they just wouldn't play certain CDs well, or at least not in an enjoyable way. Fixed that with the MSB. Overall a better presentation for my liking, and it's configurable, so on those bad recordings, I can make them tolerable :D

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe,

I don't see you playing around much with source components. I also had that issue with bad recordings, when I used dCS. Brilliant players, but they just wouldn't play certain CDs well, or at least not in an enjoyable way. Fixed that with the MSB. Overall a better presentation for my liking, and it's configurable, so on those bad recordings, I can make them tolerable :D

alexandre

You are right. I have a few ideas. I am getting a TT setup very soon so that should be very interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing