TAD Reference D700 CD/SACD player

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
TADL is launching D-600 replacement available early next year.

Reactions: Amir

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Press Release

Technical Audio Devices Laboratories, Inc. (TADL) today announced the TAD-D700 CD/SACD player as the newest addition to its top-of-the-line Reference Series of hi-fi audio components. The TAD-D700 incorporates the third-generation Ultra-High-Precision Crystal Generator (UPCG) and other performance enhancements to replace its predecessor, the commercially and critically acclaimed TAD-D600, introduced in 2010.
Technical Audio Devices Laboratories, Inc. (TADL) today announced the TAD-D700 CD/SACD player as the newest addition to its top-of-the-line Reference Series of hi-fi audio components. The TAD-D700 incorporates the third-generation Ultra-High-Precision Crystal Generator (UPCG) and other performance enhancements to replace its predecessor, the commercially and critically acclaimed TAD-D600, introduced in 2010.

Main Features
1. Ultra-High C/N1 Master Clock and third-generation UPCG
The TAD-D700 is equipped with our proprietary Ultra-High C/N Master Clock Circuit. To develop this circuitry, our engineers have refined the physical characteristics of the technology originally developed for high-speed digital communication base stations for achieving high C/N performance. A further tweaking has been made to the circuitry through a series of real-world listening evaluations with a discerning ear. The result is an unprecedented level of accuracy in reproducing signals read out from a CD or SACD, as well as signals fed from external sources. In the third-generation UPCG, the oscillator has been upgraded to one with SC-cut crystal to reduce phase noise and achieve even greater audio and C/N performance. 1. C/N: Carrier-to-noise ratio

2. Outboard power supply unit
The D700’s power supply unit is physically separated from the main unit. This ingenuous design prevents vibrations and leakage magnetic flux from the transformer from affecting the disc-drive unit and audio circuit inside the main unit. To increase the purity of power supply, the internal coil of the transformer is directly connected to the power supply circuit, minimizing the contact points with lead wires. In addition, terminals for directly connected coils, mounting terminals for motherboards, and clamping screws are all made of oxygen-free copper coated with nonmagnetic materials to eliminate even the slightest magnetic distortions. A powerful toroidal transformer with a 400 VA power rating—non uncommon in power amplifiers but unheard-of in disc players— powers the audio circuit to achieve greater signal transition performance. The entire power supply is housed in a rigid cast-aluminum monocoque chassis to suppress unwanted vibrations.

3. Simplified analog audio circuit
TAD’s relentless pursuit of simplicity has culminated in a newly developed current-feedback amplifier that is incorporated into an I/V converter with FET devices—hand-selected and paired by our certified artisans—in its input stage. This design enables a ultra-wide-range signal transmission, resulting in an unprecedented level of accuracy in signal conversion. Our attempt to eliminate magnetic distortion has taken a step further. The nonmagnetic, highly reliable carbon resistors used for feedback resistance contribute to a nonmagnetic signal path.

4. Parallel-connected twin differential D/A converters
Parallel-connected twin Burr-Brown 192-kHz, 24-bit D/A converters help dramatically improve audio performance characteristics, including greater signal-to-noise ratio, linearity, and dynamic range, as well as lower distortion. Audio signals are passed on in their purest form to the analog audio circuit, making it possible to reproduce even minute music signals, which results in finely detailed and densely textured audio reproduction.

5. Silent CD/SACD transport mechanism with high-precision disc loading
The D700 boasts an upgraded CD/SACD transport mechanism to achieve even greater accuracy in signal reading. The sturdy disc transport mechanism comes with a high-precision loading mechanism that opens and closes the disc tray with little vibration, thanks to built-in metal bearings. The pickup employs an infinite conjugate optics system that ensures both stable operation and high-precision signal readout. The rigid disc tray is made of meticulously machined aluminum to suppress vibration and has a vibration-dampening black coating to prevent the diffusion of a laser beam and achieve greater accuracy in signal readout.

6. Robust low-center-of-gravity construction
The main unit is housed on a sturdy double-layered chassis made of an extra-thick cast-aluminum base with three-point support spikes and a 6 mm-thick copper-plated steel chassis to achieve a low-center-of-gravity construction. This design suppresses vibrations to minimize their effect on the mechanism and audio circuit sitting on the chassis.

7. Doubling as a stand-alone D/A converter unit
The D700 is equipped with a high-precision sampling-rate converter that works with the Ultra-High C/N Master Clock Circuit to reclock digital inputs. This makes the D700 double as a high-performance stand-alone D/A converter capable of processing digital signals up to 192 kHz and 24 bit.

Last edited:

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
68BAA63F-FA07-461C-94D0-DC68A9655924.jpeg
Still lack of USB input, could be deal breaker for some

Reactions: Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Today, TAD Laboratories announced the new products in Japan.

SACD player : TAD-D700 (The successor model of TAD-D600)

TAD Labs will exhibit this product at Tokyo International Audio Show, 28th to 30th Oct.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
TAD D700 New Reference CD/SACD Player

TAD-D700.jpg

Reactions: Panas

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff! What is the description of this new reference digital from TAD?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
@Amir the PDF you attached is not TAD D700 information

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
@kimurastanley

Sorry , you are right

This is the TAD D700 PDF

Attachments

• TAD-D700 Press release document.pdf
    193.4 KB · Views: 21

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Still lack of USB input, could be deal breaker for some
Indeed. Don't understand why. Read somewhere that TAD did not include USB inputs in the D600 due to, ostensibly, USB standards being uncertain at the time that the D600 was introduced. Now that USB inputs are ubiquitous as well as LAN inputs, this could be a missed opportunity.

There are other leading edge inputs being introduced by Japanese manufacturers, including Diretta and Soul Link, which TAD could have considered, or provided as a future option.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I will keep my TAD D600 as I only use it as an integrated CD/SACD player. I don't use it as a standalone DAC. No USB and Ethernet connection is quite difficult to understand nowadays.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Indeed. Don't understand why. Read somewhere that TAD did not include USB inputs in the D600 due to, ostensibly, USB standards being uncertain at the time that the D600 was introduced. Now that USB inputs are ubiquitous as well as LAN inputs, this could be a missed opportunity.

There are other leading edge inputs being introduced by Japanese manufacturers, including Diretta and Soul Link, which TAD could have considered, or provided as a future option.

I think TAD D700 is a super high end CD Playback (I am also happy TAD D600 does not convert PCM to DSD) and to have high level of computer playback is not easy .
TAD could add a simple USB input to D700 like many other companies but the simple USB board will not give you super high end sound from Computer playback.

please check Wadax new music server and you will see super high end computer playback needs a big separate chassis and many many effort to have good sound from computer. I have spend more than $10000 for computer playback but finally I prefer CD.
only Wadax Reference music Server could come close to CD playback.

please read Roy Gregory gy8.eu

TAD D600 or D700 is not popular like dCS or MSB but if you compare it side by side to other super expensive DACs you will love TAD CD Playback.

TAD D600 CD playback :
- unlimited power and dynamics
- deep analog sound not digital sound
- natural but super transparent

if you want better CD Playback than TAD you should pay 4 times more and go for Wadax Reference

Last edited:
Reactions: Panas

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
No one will dispute the performance of the D600 (or the D700) as a CD / SACD player.

What is unusual is the omission of a USB or LAN input in the D700. TAD has already developed its in-house third-generation Asynchronous USB Communication Engine, as implemented in the D1000TX and DA1000TX, which can be used with PCM384kH/32bit and DSD256 digital signals.

This is not just a "simple USB board", but something TAD says they designed. TAD could have leveraged, and improved, on this for the D700.

But, who knows that they had in mind when they decided not to do so for D700.

Last edited:

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I have no doubt that TAD D700 will be an excellent CD/SACD player. However from consumer standpoint, I feel that lack of USB input would likely cause some consumers hesitant to get, especially at considerable high price of D700. As @nicoludio mentioned, TADL has developed its new USB engine and marketed as one of major selling point of D1000TX/DA1000TX, it is a pity that TADL does not include in D700.

Having said that, sonically I feel usb input is inferior than AES or spdif in general (may be debatable depends on quality of streamer usb output implementations).

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I think TAD decision is 100% Right

when you put USB board inside of TAD D700 then you should connect power supply to it and this means the switching noise will increase on PSU and isolating is not easy.
If you want a high end computer playback you should go for separate boxes .
Check Audio Note DAC fifth ($150,000) and it does not have any usb/ethernet/firewire input.

I hate computer playback
I have spend many many time/effort/money without good result
Most internet forums like "audiophile style" spread wrong information about computer audio

Last edited:
Reactions: standingwave

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
If TAD D700 owners are very serious about compter playback they can use Weiss DSP501 + weiss glass Optical cable.
Optical cable fully isolate weiss dsp from TAD system

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
@Amir
O.k., if we stay with CD playback and reject computer audio, the question still remains whether separate solutions such as those from JMF or those from CH Precision do not have an advantage over the TAD.

Do you have any experience in this regard?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
@Amir
O.k., if we stay with CD playback and reject computer audio, the question still remains whether separate solutions such as those from JMF or those from CH Precision do not have an advantage over the TAD.

Do you have any experience in this regard?

I think separating DAC and Transport is better if you use ideal fix impedance digital cable and ideal digital transmission system like WADAX. I did not have JMF and i have no idea about it , I know JMF use popular SPDIF and CH use his own CH link. it seems the CH link is not very advanced solution and i guess CH Link is not as good as wadax digital transmission system.
CEC TL0 3.0 / DA 3.0 also has 4 link system.
most transport/dacs use popular spdif/aes/ebu but Wadax has his optical cable and special transmission system.

Wadax is more expensive than other systems and at lower prices we have TAD D700 and Spectral Audio SDR-4000SV that both transport and DAC are in one chassis .

if you look at high end market you can not easily find a ideal digital cable, most digital cables have not ideal impedance and I find only Acrolink is good for having perfect fix impedance.

l am not against computer playback if I get good sound from the computer.
The problem is many audiophiles spend money for computer playback but they do not get high end sound.
I will order Wadax Server Reference and Wadax DAC Reference soon.

I believe super high end sound comes from highly experienced smart designers and an olympic 100m runner could not win in 5000m running. for example, the best turntable designer may not design the best amplifier and vice versa.

no doubt the CH Precision L10/M10 pre/power is one the best solid-state pre/power in the world , CH Precision designer is very very good pre/power designer but not the ultimate designer in digital playback. I am sure CH Precision digital playback is very good but CH Precision can not beat Wadax Reference digital Playback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stef and Verdier

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I honestly didn’t realize there was such a market for CD playback. I think it’s been close to 20 years since I played a CD. Maybe disks are more popular in Japan? At this point only a small portion of my collection is even red book audio.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Just did a Google search, seems like there is still big market for physical formats in Japan. Especially CD. Although the sale seems declining year by year

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing