Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello Emille,
Ultimate Audio in Lisbon where I live, Miguel and the guys there are fantastic, very accommodating and always a real pleasure to deal with, unlike many high end dealers in my experience.....I have heard some amazing systems in their rooms.
Indeed they just received one this week. They are a pleasure to deal with as a manufacturer as well!

Fingers crossed you are up and running soon, guess my options are to wait a year or two for a used Extreme or in all likelihood get the Mini, I have also thought of a used SGM Evo, but not sure how far that is behind the Extreme/Mini !, just want to find a great match for my DAC which I think is easily a match at the price point and if not better than a few other three letter DAC manufacturers (one either side of the pond) that I have.

regards
Glenn

I'm afraid the EVO is significantly behind both, but it does still sound very good imho, especially with DSD dacs.

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Indeed they just received one this week. They are a pleasure to deal with as a manufacturer as well!

I'm afraid the EVO is significantly behind both, but it does still sound very good imho, especially with DSD dacs.

Hi Emile,

Thats exactly what Mark at Sablon told me as he has an Evo, which he uses into a DAC8, says it has great synergy.

Maybe I will get on the bandwagon with one of these for now and then wait and get a used Extreme ( I have a feeling that might be a long wait though, as I don’t really see owners getting rid as it’s so good and way in front of the competition, or until its replacement is announced in 4 or 5 years I am guessing), decisions decisions.......

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile,

Thats exactly what Mark at Sablon told me as he has an Evo, which he uses into a DAC8, says it has great synergy.

Maybe I will get on the bandwagon with one of these for now and then wait and get a used Extreme ( I have a feeling that might be a long wait though, as I don’t really see owners getting rid as it’s so good and way in front of the competition, or until its replacement is announced in 4 or 5 years I am guessing), decisions decisions.......

Thanks and keep up the good work.

You’re welcome! Miguel just send me some photos. Will share them here later today.

Reactions: onsionsi

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello All,

We have conducted a thorough investigation in the past 3 weeks since the much discussed Roon update to build 537 launched. We have not been able to find any difference whatsoever relative to the prior build. The update we applied following initial reports of degraded sound quality should be considered as a “general sound quality improvement update” not related to Roon, in stead of a “fix for a sound quality degradation caused by the Roon update itself”. I hereby retract any statement made by, or on behalf of Taiko Audio that there does in fact exist a sound quality difference between Roon build 537 and prior releases.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I completely understand.
i’m just hoping someone tells us if that dialog box, in the Roon advanced menu that says “load defaults “, is where people are finding The settings they are adjusting?
It is just a little scary, I don’t want to touch that button and then have to re-configure my entire Roon set up.

You are correct that clicking on that button will re-set the settings for that driver back to the driver defaults. It shouldn't (famous last words) reset all of your Roon global settings back to their defaults.

However, that button is NOT what you click to access the Clock Master settings.

The setting for Clock Master Priority is the pull-down window to the right of Clock Master Priority:

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 11.34.53 AM.png

Steve Z

Reactions: onsionsi

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
You’re welcome! Miguel just send me some photos. Will share them here later today.

Great, I am 100% sure you will find yourself shipping a few units to Portugal, of course it's a small country and population, but rather surprisingly sophisticated when it comes to high end audio, I had Manny the UK rep from JL Audio come over end of last year to EQ my subs and crossover and I took him to Ultimate Audio and he was gobsmacked with the shop and the quality of the demo rooms and of course the gear available.

Best wishes.

Reactions: oldmustang

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
@adamaley I have tried my Edge Router X-SFP with five different voltages and as it uses DC/DC converters inside the power usage will be almost the same despite the voltage and produce the same heat.

These numbers are with SFP port and 3 LAN ports in use

9V 0,32A = 2,9W
12V 0,24A = 2,9W
15V 0,20A = 3W
19V 0,16A = 3,05W
24V 0,13A = 3,1W

Very little difference in power usage

Of course! The wattage is determined by the rating of the transformer used in these devices. SInce watts = volts x amps it's obvious that the power will be constant from any voltage setting tap on the secondary winding, so the amperage must necessarily change!

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I like the music on the first video too. Who is that? Thanks

We should start a sub thread about which recordings sound particularly good on your Extremes.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I like the music on the first video too. Who is that? Thanks

We should start a sub thread about which recordings sound particularly good on your Extremes.

Great idea. FWIW I absolutely love this track !

Thank you Miguel and team

Attachments

• 5AC0C10A-FC2C-44D5-A264-D39E8BD12076.png
    5AC0C10A-FC2C-44D5-A264-D39E8BD12076.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: matthias

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
The wattage is determined by the rating of the transformer used in these devices.

There are no transformers in the Edge Routers just switching DC/DC converters that step down the input voltage to the right one without producing much heat.

drjimwillie

Mar 26, 2020
You are correct that clicking on that button will re-set the settings for that driver back to the driver defaults. It shouldn't (famous last words) reset all of your Roon global settings back to their defaults.

However, that button is NOT what you click to access the Clock Master settings.

The setting for Clock Master Priority is the pull-down window to the right of Clock Master Priority:

View attachment 65210

Steve Z
It is weird that I just do not have these settings. This is the picture that I put with my first post. As you can see my advanced settings are different?.

Attachments

• E824028E-A1A9-490B-9776-7A178949F8F6.jpeg
    E824028E-A1A9-490B-9776-7A178949F8F6.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 24

Skanda

May 2, 2020
I was told by an industry insider that Roon Labs fired it's "2-channel guys." In particular, he cited Steve Silberman and Bill Leebens. Roon is apparently moving to focus on "Home Integration." Think speakers in your bathroom and thermostat controls.

Sound's like bad news to me and perhaps a explanation for the latest software release sq problems.

Emile, lead us to the Promised Land!

this makes me a little nervous. anyone else concerned about the long-term viability of roon as the core software for a high end system? it would be a real pain to have to move away from it considering how many roon specific devices there are.

a server like the taiko with the kind of customer service emile gives, less worrisome - i'm sure if roon wasn't an option/the best option they would find something...but what about those with other servers?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
this makes me a little nervous. anyone else concerned about the long-term viability of roon as the core software for a high end system? it would be a real pain to have to move away from it considering how many roon specific devices there are.

a server like the taiko with the kind of customer service emile gives, less worrisome - i'm sure if roon wasn't an option/the best option they would find something...but what about those with other servers?

My perspective is that whatever comes our way regarding Roon or future "Roons" with Emile "driving the bus" for all of the Extreme users we are in good hands and can sit back and enjoy the music now and not worry about the future. We SHALL be taken care of.

Regarding other servers, well, this is a Creme de le Creme/Extreme thread so thankfully we can just enjoy the music now and in the future. I know I don't have any concerns about the future. Roon may or not be the interface we use with the Extreme down the road, I'm confident in Emile to figure that out.

Other servers will figure their own paths in the future, but I like who is "driving the bus" for my server journey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing