Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
Hi Nenon,

I imagine that might be an especially welcome option if you're running Linux with the performance power governor which would otherwise tend to push all cores to the maximum frequency at all times. (It's new in this version, the previous 6003 lacks that option).

P.S. How are you liking your build so far?

I like it a lot! Still tweaking things - it's a long process. But the hardware you have chosen is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

I was using Euphony until recently. And that BIOS option did make a difference in my system.
However, I switched to a highly customized Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 (similar to the way you do it on the Extreme). And Windows / Roon sounds better than Euphony / Stylus for a very first time in my hobby. That has not been the case for other builds, but the finer control we have with Windows compared to the closed Euphony system gives an opportunity to fine tune things a lot better, which results in better sound quality. It's very nice to have Roon sounding good again.

Not to hijack the thread with my DIY built, which was quite challenging by the way, so all I would say is this. I have built quite a few computers - high powered, low powered, AMD, Intel, SOTA power supplies, OCXO clocks, etc. We have something very special here. I can only imagine how good the Extreme is.

P.S. I will send you a PM with something I have meant to ask you.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
There are no transformers in the Edge Routers just switching DC/DC converters that step down the input voltage to the right one without producing much heat.
Thanks for the correction. I was referring to linear power supplies in general. However, a step down in voltage from some device in the Edge that still obeys the V x A = W seems to adhere to the same principal. Now if only someone made the installation of the Edge easy enough for me to perform, I'd consider using it! (Yes, I've watched the "so easy a child can do it" video, but I'm afraid there are no children in my neighborhood or I'd hire one to do it for me).

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Fantastic looking system! Would love to hear that. I find my Boulder 2110 preamplifier sounds slightly better with the front display turned off (press DISPLAY on the front of the unit and then turn the center control dial counterclockwise until OFF, or just repeatedly press the handheld remote DISP button until OFF is chosen).

I wonder if Taiko’s decision to eschew a color display intentionally keeps those EMFs out of the picture. I doubt that was an accident, though maybe the competition should take notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

drjimwillie

Mar 26, 2020
Are you using an ASIO driver output? This is not available on all output options.
I do have an ASIO driver. I am using a Singxer SU1 into a Holo spring DAC. The driver for the SU1 is loaded in HQPe. I checked and it’s still the correct ASIO driver.
My Roon is on a Qnap silent NAS. They always refer to the “Qnap version” of Roon. I wonder if there are some fundamental differences like this menu?
Sorry to keep bringing stop. It’s just interesting to find that you’re different from the other kids.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
On SGM EVO in my system I found Hqplayer much better than Roon alone. Even using Asio driver and ajusting this Master Clock number.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
As i understand it, there are two different router settings to improve the signal from the router with two different sound styles...
There isn’t information about this configurations on the article...
Changing settings on the ethernet has an electrical impact that is reflected in load variations to the power supply and the masses. That's what i think Matej is listening to....

Last edited:

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Guide to access the Master Clock settings
We have been asked by a number of people how to access the settings, therefore I created a small guide to visualize how.
Hi, when I click Advanced I see no drop down menu, odd ... wonder what is wrong. Thanks for your help. Cheers

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
wow! yes.....a great read. and it all fits into my experience too. Extreme owners are in a remarkably nice spot.:cool:

btw......i've been messing around......and i'm provisionally a '5' lover at the moment.
A great review of a great product, what the red and blue pill settings ? How can I get access to these to experiment. Thanks

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
@Stereophonic and @Pinu, this is proprietary to the SGM Extreme for now. It is however an interesting showcase of software configuration significance.
Ok , hopefully you will support it for EVO owners too.
Loving the EVO after installing the fiber optic card recommended by Emile, the resolution is improved with great soundstage and tighter bass. Very dynamic. Great support from Emile and his team.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I’ll wait costumer’s reports.
Matej writes a lot but says nothing...

Quite the contrary when you say that Matej says nothing. Except that one needs to have experienced what Matej and ALL Extreme users have experienced with the recent free Extreme upgrades in performance.

All of the Extreme users that have experienced what Matej has experienced with the recent Extreme settings enhancements know exactly what Matej is saying and it is very insightful. This is old news and Matej is just catching up with what we have all experienced about a month ago.

As this is an Extreme thread and many thread participants own Extremes then this write up from Matej is a fun read for us.

The consumer reports that you are waiting for have already been reported about a month ago now from MANY Extreme actual users. They are right here in this thread about a month back.

Start at around page 80 in the thread. From there and for the next several pages you will read actual experiences and observations of actual Extreme users who heard what Matej is now just finally reporting on.

Reactions: onlychild

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Quite the contrary when you say that Matej says nothing. Except that one needs to have experienced what Matej and ALL Extreme users have experienced with the recent free Extreme upgrades in performance.

All of the Extreme users that have experienced what Matej has experienced with the recent Extreme settings enhancements know exactly what Matej is saying and it is very insightful. This is old news and Matej is just catching up with what we have all experienced about a month ago.

As this is an Extreme thread and many thread participants own Extremes then this write up from Matej is a fun read for us.

The consumer reports that you are waiting for have already been reported about a month ago now from MANY Extreme actual users. They are right here in this thread about a month back.

Start at around page 80 in the thread. From there and for the next several pages you will read actual experiences and observations of actual Extreme users who heard what Matej is now just finally reporting on.
Thanks Rhapsody.
As you will understand, Matej is writing for everybody, and everybody aren’t WBF members.
Being objective, the article is useless...
I’ll get back and will read your comments....
Regards.

Reactions: Skanda

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thanks Raphsody.
As you will understand, Matej is writing for everybody, and everybody aren’t WBF members.
Being objective, the article is useless...
I’ll get back and will read your comments....
Regards.

Understood, duly noted. If one has not experienced what Matej is talking about it might not be very useful, other than it might draw some interest from folks who might want to hear what he is talking about and see for themselves.

The free enhancements were actually quite significant for Extreme users.

Keep safe.

Reactions: Skanda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing