Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Has anyone tried putting stillpoint ultra 6s nuder the extreme? Tried tonight and it just didnt sound right....worse if anything. was expecting an improvement

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I would imagine the sonic effect of the Stillpoints will very much depend on what the Extreme was resting on before the Stillpoints were inserted.

Reactions: oldmustang

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Has anyone tried putting stillpoint ultra 6s nuder the extreme? Tried tonight and it just didnt sound right....worse if anything. was expecting an improvement
Please try CMS CenterStage2 footers.
Most of my Extreme owner friends in Hong Kong are using them happily.
:)

Reactions: Steve Williams

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Did someone notice the SQ drop after the Roon 610 build update ?
I am very dissapinted with that happen to my system.
With the 571 build I got magical sound . Little less controlled but truly the amazing experience.
610 offers better control annd precision but the magic is gone .
this is mainly by using the 610 remote.
In my other computer I still have the 571 remote so I can survive on that till the TAS comes.
Is there any way of getting back to the 571 core or / and to 571 remote builds ?
Lol Roon gets better then worse at times
do you have all digital filters not just turned off but removed?

Reactions: christoph

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hi CK,
The other day I went down to Adelphi here in Singapore, this is the go to place for all things AV here in Singapore, just to take a look at the Siltech Cable. They look so beautifully crafted and well engineered. I would love to hear them one day.

I remember my trip to the Adephia on a visit to Singapore a few years ago quite vividly. Definitely high end heaven. I really had a great time in Singapore and my many interactions with the people there.

Steve Z

Reactions: Abyss Man

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

Currently using Stillpoints Ultrs SS under my Extreme on a shelf of a Stillpoints grid-system ESS rack. To me it sounds very nice but honestly the only comparison I made was to the Extreme resting on its feet on a hardwood floor when I first received it. Quite the improvement with the Stillpoints products.

I suspect that the efficacy of and preference for specific vibration isolation/absorption products will be a function of floor construction, equipment rack in use and personal preference in sound presentation. You’ll get many good recommendations here.

Steve Z

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
actually i realised what i did wrong putting the ultra 6s on the footers rather than the chassis. Have them on the chassis now and it does sound much better - no more edginess to the sound at least. The ultras are on an atacama rack atm ( bamboo rack as my friend will say) where the yg rack arrives next week - exciting times:)

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
actually i realised what i did wrong putting the ultra 6s on the footers rather than the chassis. Have them on the chassis now and it does sound much better - no more edginess to the sound at least. The ultras are on an atacama rack atm ( bamboo rack as my friend will say) where the yg rack arrives next week - exciting times:)

I’m glad they are working better for you now. Like any vibration/isolation device, it pays to experiment with placement to get the best results. Pity the 100 pound Extreme makes that no simple task.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. If Emile had made it any lighter it wouldn’t be so Extreme.

Steve Z

Reactions: ctydwn

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Lol Roon gets better then worse at times
do you have all digital filters not just turned off but removed?

We had number of SQ colapses with Roon updates already.
This time Emile was so nice to review and find few errors in my extreme network settings.
Correcting them made 610 build sound as good or better than 571.
No filters . R2R DAC.

Reactions: christoph

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I’m glad they are working better for you now. Like any vibration/isolation device, it pays to experiment with placement to get the best results. Pity the 100 pound Extreme makes that no simple task.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. If Emile had made it any lighter it wouldn’t be so Extreme.

Steve Z

I understand you perfectly. When I have tried to move my 60Kg. DAC Kassandra to test different feet I have had the same problems. This was solved for little money with the following product: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B082VTGQRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
1A095C1A-F86F-4F1D-92B7-F04691957C48.jpeg

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
TAS is sounding Extremely promising

The team has more breathing room for development as the latest versions of Roon have gotten better which has allowed us to change the TAS software development road map.

The Extreme owners with Chord Dave’s and using HQ Player are frustrated and relegated to drag and dropping files to the HQ Player Desktop window so as to enjoy the best sound from HQ Players 1 million tap filters. We have therefore decided to create two software players, TAS HQP for those who have DAC’s that sing with HQ Player and TAS Direct for those DAC’s that do best with bit perfect native data delivery. TAS HQP will be rolled out first.

I spent 3 days in Hengelo testing TAS HQP where Wilson was making code adjustments and Emile was dialing in the sound. We were using HQP in bit perfect mode with no upsampling or filters. The big SQ changes from when Steve heard the first pre Beta of TAS, are
  • Improved flow and timing
  • Dramatically improved streaming SQ with much lower noise floor
  • Improved playback from on board storage with lower noise floor, particularly hi-res files
For me, the eye opener was, Emile despite being totally overloaded, actually spent 45 minutes listening to music. That does not happen much these days

As with hardware and OS, with player software everything matters too. It quickly became obvious that we had to take a clean piece of paper and code both TAS HQP and TAS Direct from scratch.

The code for TAS is broken into modules, and we are using different Compilers for different modules, this is how extreme the team is being.

We are using HQ Player in direct bit perfect mode, to be the sonic benchmark to beat for SQ of TAS Direct.

I am pretty optimistic that TAS Direct will set a new level of bit perfect playback in the music server with remote control and streaming space. We will not give up until this goal is reached.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Steve,

Yes, when we did the coding from scratch, the DSD sample rate limitations were banished. DSD 256 for sure as it has been tested, but we don't have a DSD 512 to test with but hard to imagine it won't work

TAS HQP and TAS Direct have identical new front ends, and that's where the DSD limits of the previous player software was

Stay safe

Ed

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
That's great news, Ed. Wait to try it, I cannot!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
I recently joined the ranks of those who have the good fortune to use the Extreme in their music systems. I‘m about 250 hours in and while it has been a major step up from my Roon Nucleus (no surprise there!) after a Team Viewer session with Emile this morning the SQ is staggeringly improved! As I am a fairly lo-tech person, Emile generously cleaned up issues in my Roon setup and undid some tweaks that the dealer I purchased the Extreme from had made. I echo what has been stated in this thread many times regarding Emile/Taiko’s excellent customer service. Thanks, again, Emile!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
TAS is sounding Extremely promising

The team has more breathing room for development as the latest versions of Roon have gotten better which has allowed us to change the TAS software development road map.

<snip>

We are using HQ Player in direct bit perfect mode, to be the sonic benchmark to beat for SQ of TAS Direct.

I am pretty optimistic that TAS Direct will set a new level of bit perfect playback in the music server with remote control and streaming space. We will not give up until this goal is reached.

Great news, Ed. Thanks for sharing the progress report. Especially gratifying that you all have taken on the additional work of developing an optimized version of TAS to work with HQPlayer that allows the user to take advantage of the TAS UI rather than remaining dependent on HQP’s very basic controls. But I shouldn’t be surprised — the Taiko level of after-sale support and value is not only at the top of the industry, it makes the price of the Extreme a bargain when compared to other premium servers in terms of protection against obsolescence. On-going Extreme development this year alone has delivered several significant sound-quality improvements to owners as well as reacting to protect us against the vagaries of Roon “upgrades”.

Any idea of when you’ll be rolling out TAS? Just a general target? A couple more weeks or a couple more months?

Thanks!

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing