Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
For a second system buy a SGC Sonictransporter for $1500 and be done with it........

The power supply is way more important than the computer itself. And then it is the tuning of the software and firmware.

Reactions: Thuan

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
actually Howie the storage capacity is 24 TB (not GB)

Ian to me you have entered one Iof the longest as well as oner of the best threads on WBF. The answer is right in front of your nose. I was almost all vinyl and my old CD/DAC that got me by....same as those $5K servers to which you allude. Since I bought the Extreme it has changed completely and forever the way I now listen to music which is now at least 80% digital. In summary, you get what you pay for and you don't get customer service of the like that Emile and his crew provide. It seems to me that you already know the answer but are you looking for any reason not to buy one. The title of this thread sums it all up. It seems you have not heard an Extreme and my best advice (because you're close) is to take a drive to Manhattan and let Bob from Rhapsody light up your ears with his Extreme setup

If you truly believe that your $5K servers provide everything the Extreme offers then stop reading and go buy one of those. Otherwise read this thread and you'll quickly get the feeling that the Extreme is .........well, Extreme and with Emile soon to launch his TAS and remote it is only going to get better as Emile's commitment to all is to provide the very best and to this more than happy user, it was one of the best buys I have made In all of my years in audio.

I have yet to read anything negative about the Extreme nor do I ever expect to
Hi Steve,
Yes, you are 100% correct.
The title of the thread "Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème " has summed it all up!
:cool:

Reactions: Taiko Audio

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
actually Howie the storage capacity is 24 TB (not GB)

Ian to me you have entered one of the longest as well as one of the best threads on WBF. The answer is right in front of your nose. I was almost all vinyl and my old CD/DAC that got me by....same as those $5K servers to which you allude. Since I bought the Extreme it has changed completely and forever the way I now listen to music which is now at least 80% digital. In summary, you get what you pay for and you don't get customer service of the like that Emile and his crew provide. It seems to me that you already know the answer but are you looking for any reason not to buy one. The title of this thread sums it all up. It seems you have not heard an Extreme and my best advice (because you're close) is to take a drive to Manhattan and let Bob from Rhapsody light up your ears with his Extreme setup

If you truly believe that your $5K servers provide everything the Extreme offers then stop reading and go buy one of those. Otherwise read this thread and you'll quickly get the feeling that the Extreme is .........well, Extreme and with Emile soon to launch his TAS and remote it is only going to get better as Emile's commitment to all is to provide the very best and to this more than happy user, it was one of the best buys I have made In all of my years in audio.

I have yet to read anything negative about the Extreme nor do I ever expect to

Steve (and others); I appreciate your thoughts. Steve, what was your server beforehand and what differences did you hear?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Please, Ian

Read this thread as my findings and thoughts are in this thread as well as in my personal blog. Do yourself a favor and drive to Manhattan and listen to one at Rhapsody and make your own mind up.

When this thread was started by CKKeung there might have been 20 users in the poll at the top of the thread and now there are 90 but everything I have heard, Emile has sold several 100 Extreme's and he is backordered by at least 6 weeks

There are countless users who read this thread but never post however if you read the post it will become immediately obvious that everyone's impressions of their Extreme are unilaterally identical.

Ian I have followed your system over many years and have watched you have great and greater gear coming in and out of your system, most of which IMO has been due to room issues.You're a tough guy to please ,

I can tell you this for certain.......the Extreme is a permanent keeper in my system. The only way that I would ever sell it is if Emile found a way to make a Super Extreme or something even better. Tough to imagine that is possible but IME , anything is possible with Emile but for now all of us contented users are eagerly awaiting Emile's release of his TAS which at the present is as good or slightly better than Roon. TAS will allow Emile to escape from under the strict arm of Roon and design TAS so that it is ever evolving. Several months ago I had prebeta version of TAS which although "buggy" and deficient in some areas produced a sound that literally caught my attention.

AS to what I was using, to give you an example of how out of touch with Digital I was.....I was using a 15 year old Playback Designs MPS-5 with the Playback Designs Xlll box allowing me to play up to DSD 256. I would submit to you that the sound was decent and perhaps at a par with the so called $5K servers that you state are equivalent in sonic quality to you and are worthy of buying.

AsI said yesterday, the reason I used such an old system was that most of my listening was vinyl,,,,,,,,so I didn't care much about digital......until I got an Extreme. The SQ is so good that most of my listening now is with the Extreme as I wait for Emile to launch his TAS. When that arrives each Extreme will allow you to either use Roon or to use TAS and Emile's soon to be released remote from the App Store will allow us to do that.

Finally Emile's business Mission is to make the very best music server. In fact he seems to have stopped making his vibration control equipment so that he can devote all of his time to the development of such. This together with the fact that in order to develop TAS Emile went to great personal expense by spending large sums of money to hire a team to do such. I expect the final version of TAS to be something very special and my commitment is to follow the TAS path rater than Roon which with every new build seems to adversely affect the SQ

So do yourself a favor Ian and go hear an Extreme. It will forever change your notion about digital music. It did for me

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Please, Ian

Read this thread as my findings and thoughts are in this thread as well as in my personal blog. Do yourself a favor and drive to Manhattan and listen to one at Rhapsodyand make your own mind up.

When this thread was started by CKKeung there might have been 20 users in the old at the top of the thread and now there are 90 but everything I have heard, Emile has sold several 100 Extreme's and he is backordered by at least 6 weeks

There are countless users who read this thread but never post however if you read the post it will become immediately obvious that everyone's impressions of their Extreme are unilaterally identical.

Ian I have followed your system over many years and have watched you have great and greater gear coming in and out of your system, most of which IMO has been due to room issues.You're a tough guy to please ,

I can tell you this for certain.......the Extreme is a permanent keeper in my system. The only way that I would ever sell it is if Emile found a way to make a Super Extreme or something even better. Tough to imagine that is possible but IME , anything is possible with Emile but for now all of us contented users are eagerly awaiting Emile's release of his TAS which at the present is as good or slightly better than Roon. TAS will allow Emile to escape from under the strict arm of Roon and design TAS so that it is ever evolving. Several months ago I had prebeta version of TAS which although "buggy" and deficient in some areas produced a sound that literally caught my attention.

AS to what I was using, to give you an example of how out of touch with Digital I was.....I was using a 15 year old Playback Designs MPS-5 with the Playback Designs Xlll box allowing me to play up to DSD 256. I would submit to you that the sound was decent and perhaps at a par with the so called $5K servers that you state are equivalent in sonic quality to you and are worthy of buying.

AsI said yesterday, the reason I used such an old system was that most of my listening was vinyl,,,,,,,,so I didn't care much about digital......until I got an Extreme. The SQ is so good that most of my listening now is with the Extreme as I wait for Emile to launch his TAS. When that arrives each Extreme will allow you to either use Roon or to use TAS and Emile's soon to be released remote from the App Store will allow us to do that.

Finally Emile's business Mission is to make the very best music server. In fact he seems to have stopped making his vibration control equipment so that he can devote all of his time to the development of such. This together with the fact that in order to develop TAS Emile went to great personal expense by spending large sums of money to hire a team to do such. I expect the final version of TAS to be something very special and my commitment is to follow the TAS path rater than Roon which with every new build seems to adversely affect the SQ

So do yourself a favor Ian and go hear an Extreme. It will forever change your notion about digital music. It did for me

Hey Steve, thank you again for taking the time to respond. I've been doing digital from files for over a decade now and as an audiophile I know there's always room for improvement. And yes, I have a challenging room and I'm very picky; a combination that has cost me a lot of money lol. I have, unfortunately, become a little bit of a cynic as there is a lot of snake oil in this business. That said, I have a lot of respect for the members of this forum and I know where there's smoke, there's usually fire so I believe the product must be very good.

Perhaps I'm just more taken aback by the cost. Many people here are in the position to simply buy the best, regardless of price and perhaps haven't even bothered with a less expensive solution. In some cases I have done that myself. What makes this tricky (for me) is that unlike other hardware this is something that someone can build themselves (with many different approaches) or purchase various solutions that range from a very inexpensive Roon Nucleus to more expensive Aurender units.

I've also read some comments here that the server matters more than the DAC which I also find myself having a hard time believing.

If the thread wasn't so damn long I might read it but it's a little daunting lol. I am in the market for a digital solution for a second system. There are two routes I can go; get something priced appropriately for that system or upgrade my own and let the new system get a 'hand me down'. Unfortunately I wouldn't learn much from hearing a server in an unfamiliar system, so traveling to NYC doesn't make much sense to me. It seems the type of thing that one has to take a leap of faith for and in my case, it's 10x the price of my DAC and I have to wonder how much better it actually would be than what I have.

Oh, and what is TAS? I keep thinking the magazine lol...

Thanks again for making the effort to enlighten me...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well, if you don’t like it, you can easily sell it at a very good price.
You can always sell something easily if you sell it at a very good price

Reactions: PR13

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hey Steve, thank you again for taking the time to respond. I've been doing digital from files for over a decade now and as an audiophile I know there's always room for improvement. And yes, I have a challenging room and I'm very picky; a combination that has cost me a lot of money lol. I have, unfortunately, become a little bit of a cynic as there is a lot of snake oil in this business. That said, I have a lot of respect for the members of this forum and I know where there's smoke, there's usually fire so I believe the product must be very good.

Perhaps I'm just more taken aback by the cost. Many people here are in the position to simply buy the best, regardless of price and perhaps haven't even bothered with a less expensive solution. In some cases I have done that myself. What makes this tricky (for me) is that unlike other hardware this is something that someone can build themselves (with many different approaches) or purchase various solutions that range from a very inexpensive Roon Nucleus to more expensive Aurender units.

I've also read some comments here that the server matters more than the DAC which I also find myself having a hard time believing.

If the thread wasn't so damn long I might read it but it's a little daunting lol. I am in the market for a digital solution for a second system. There are two routes I can go; get something priced appropriately for that system or upgrade my own and let the new system get a 'hand me down'. Unfortunately I wouldn't learn much from hearing a server in an unfamiliar system, so traveling to NYC doesn't make much sense to me. It seems the type of thing that one has to take a leap of faith for and in my case, it's 10x the price of my DAC and I have to wonder how much better it actually would be than what I have.

Oh, and what is TAS? I keep thinking the magazine lol...

Thanks again for making the effort to enlighten me...

Hi Ian,

I WILL or ask Emile (I don't want to speak for him) if he will sell you an Extreme, if you feel more comfortable buying it direct, with a 30 day no question $$$ back guarantee.

I've done this several times and have never had one returned. If you do return it I always will have someone loving that they can get one quickly vs. waiting for six weeks for a new one.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Ian,

I WILL or ask Emile (I don't want to speak for him) if he will sell you an Extreme, if you feel more comfortable buying it direct, with a 30 day no question $$$ back guarantee.

I've done this several times and have never had one returned. If you do return it I always will have someone loving that they can get one quickly vs. waiting for six weeks for a new one.

Pardon my late reply, Bob and I very much appreciate the offer. I'm not in a position to take you up on it just now; I'm still trying to sort out details of some other audio acquisitions and only so much funds to go around.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Pardon my late reply, Bob and I very much appreciate the offer. I'm not in a position to take you up on it just now; I'm still trying to sort out details of some other audio acquisitions and only so much funds to go around.

Hi Ian, Totally understood and not trying to sell an Extreme, just wanted to make it easy for you if you were going down that road.

CONGRATS on the A5's!!! Will be really interested to hear your thoughts once you get them.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
@MadFloyd, i have a separate thread on my experience with the extreme. i was in a similar position to you and had a great server prior. the extreme is a really interesting piece of gear and brought out alot of positive changes in my system with no negative ones. audio is usually about trade offs, but i feel like other than $ lost, i didn't trade anything off. every single facet of the sound reproduction was improved. if i had to describe the change in experience with one word, i would use: immersive. i bought one on a lark and since i'm digital only i figured it made sense to give it a shot, i'm happy with the results.

now as far as reccommendation. prior to the taiko i had a rockna wavedream net, a great server by all measures but the price difference between the two is worth the quality difference. for me, however, it's tough to reccommend the taiko solely because of cost. to me, it's great and well worth it, but it's like reccomending a magico m9 or mbl 101 extreme - they will likely be a great upgrade to most current speakers but due to the cost it's just not a sane thing to rec for most people. if your budget can comfortably absorb the cost of the extreme and you feel like the rest of your gear is where you want it, then i'd say an extreme is a must try. i would go so far as to say, that if i had to do it again, i'd probably upgrade to the extreme before changing amps or something.

your gear is excellent and i'm sure your system shines. when you're interested in a new upgrade and if you find yourself listening to digital quite often, i'd say give the extreme a try.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I appreciate your thoughts, Skanda.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
@MadFloyd I agree with everyone else here - worth a try and the good thing it seems from Rhapsody above....you have a chance to actually try lol. Here in Australia basically you try....after you have bought and paid for it in full lol, ye i took the plunge and am happy for that decision made. Can't win a lottery without buying a ticket mate.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
@MadFloyd I agree with everyone else here - worth a try and the good thing it seems from Rhapsody above....you have a chance to actually try lol. Here in Australia basically you try....after you have bought and paid for it in full lol, ye i took the plunge and am happy for that decision made. Can't win a lottery without buying a ticket mate.

Thanks. In your case you probably already had your C1 boxes... I'm being told my inexpensive (but otherwise very good DAC) won't really show the virtues of the Extreme...

Skanda

May 2, 2020
Thanks. In your case you probably already had your C1 boxes... I'm being told my inexpensive (but otherwise very good DAC) won't really show the virtues of the Extreme...

i really doubt that, the yggdrasil is a fantastic dac and many of us have found the extreme/server changes in general to have more impact than the dac itself. now, wether you listen to digital enough for that to matter is a whole different question.

unrelated to the above - I had a general question for the forum. is google drive and appropriate/acceptable way of getting tracks onto the extreme library. from the technical side, i see no issue. from the security side i'm a bit hesitant as i try to have my extreme access as few things on the internet as possible (just roon and briefly a nas). i can do the thumbdrive transfer but i'll have to probably order a new drive.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Ah ok, maybe a roon nucleus then I guess hard getting this horse to drink

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ah ok, maybe a roon nucleus then I guess hard getting this horse to drink

Supposedly the Roon Nucleus *is* the best way to experience Roon. :)

Reactions: Skanda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing