Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I did not initially read your post, but my eye caught an obviously malicious post stating that something is a disaster regarding the unit I use (where I'm quite sure person even did not hear nor use the discussed DAC) and stating that a person who developed the mentioned unit has no clue what he's doing.
On another note, I fully agree with you that noise can be found all around and with meticulous approach removed to achieve even better sonics.
:) And I agree with you, the Lampi's are some of the best sounding dac's out there:) Lukasz DEFINITELY knows what he's doing.

And sorry for over emphasizing this noise conversation, but seeing what TAS and the T usb driver did to my systems when I thought they sounded amazing with Roon, has me realizing how much noise can be taken away from a system even when you think it's all gone.:) I think Emile/team are actually just at the start of where they are going. So glad to be "on the train".

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
A disaster??? What hyperbole. Have you spent time with a pacific? If what you say is true, PAC would be clearly noisier than other non Ethernet Lampi Dacs and that is not the case in my experience. I have a PAC and recently got a chance to compare to GG1, TRP and now even have a Baltic 3 in test. My experience tells me that the contention in this thread is invalid.
I was simply responding to a post by seatrope which corroborated my prior post about the design of a dac's ethernet renderer being fundamental to the performance of a server. Seatrope is the one alleging the Pac renderer contains a wifi noise. If he is right, are you claiming this constuct would not be something akin to a disaster? That is not my experience.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
is there a way to save the album you're listening to on TAS direct to the Qobuz albums list?

CDub

Jan 23, 2018
when i removed the MSB Renderer v2 module (plugged in but not active) from my MSB Select II dac, the noise floor dropped while using the MSB Pro USB interface.

having an active Ethernet hub in a dac can't help when it's not being used. it can only hurt.....or best case no effect.
Hi Mike, I had the impression from MSB's tech info that the modules were isolated, looks like they may have some cross talk after all. I wonder if other modules such as the spdif model would drop noise floor as well or maybe grounding those modules not in use? Thanks for sharing

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
is there a way to save the album you're listening to on TAS direct to the Qobuz albums list?
There are several different ways to save an album you are playing. I'm not sure what you mean by saving it direct to the Qobuz albums list, though. Do you mean saving it to Favorites, or saving it to the library TAS keeps track of?

If you tap on the image of the album on the Playing screen, a small window opens containing the two selections, "Show Image" and "Show track information". Tap on the second.

Another window appears with a list of options on the left side. About halfway down is the item, "Save song to library". Tap on this. Three choices appear, "Add track to library", "Add album to library", and "Add artist to library". Tap on "Add album to library".

Is this what you were looking for?

Steve Z

wil

Jul 22, 2015
There are several different ways to save an album you are playing. I'm not sure what you mean by saving it direct to the Qobuz albums list, though. Do you mean saving it to Favorites, or saving it to the library TAS keeps track of?

If you tap on the image of the album on the Playing screen, a small window opens containing the two selections, "Show Image" and "Show track information". Tap on the second.

Another window appears with a list of options on the left side. About halfway down is the item, "Save song to library". Tap on this. Three choices appear, "Add track to library", "Add album to library", and "Add artist to library". Tap on "Add album to library".

Is this what you were looking for?

Steve Z
Thanks for the response, Steve

I tried to follow your instructions: Tap album cover picture > Look for option on left side "Save Song..."

but, I don't see that in the long list of options.

It seems to me it would make sense to have a simple direct link from tapping on the Album to Saving the Album to Library. But in the meantime, I'm happy to just have simple multi-step process!

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I was simply responding to a post by seatrope which corroborated my prior post about the design of a dac's ethernet renderer being fundamental to the performance of a server. Seatrope is the one alleging the Pac renderer contains a wifi noise. If he is right, are you claiming this constuct would not be something akin to a disaster? That is not my experience.
To clarify this - I have NEVER heard any perceptible difference with the ethernet module powered on or off comparing similar tracks. It was more of a theoretical point than anything else. In fact, I am not even sure if the wifi is active with the custom OS that comes with the module - it may well have been deactivated.
Needless to say, I adore my Pacific's musicality and sound. I've never had any desire to have the Ethernet module removed because of this. I simply brought it up as a response to dminches' point earlier. Now swapping to JLsounds from my current Amanero, that's a whole different story. Let's move on!

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I found that I can control my Extreme running TAS with iPeng - has anyone else tried this? Obviously it works as it's LMS...

I've also had trouble saving favorites - I've found that if there are a few albums with the same name, e.g. "Wagner: Die Walkure" if I save a favorite, it always defaults to the same arbitary album. Has anyone tried the "favorite" saving option and seen this?

The sound quality bump over Roon is just ridiculous/laughable. Personally as an opera fan, the pauses btw tracks bug me more than they should, but I can't go back to Roon - everything turns into a flat cardboard cutout soundstage wise. What a dilemma!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks for the response, Steve

I tried to follow your instructions: Tap album cover picture > Look for option on left side "Save Song..."

but, I don't see that in the long list of options.

It seems to me it would make sense to have a simple direct link from tapping on the Album to Saving the Album to Library. But in the meantime, I'm happy to just have simple multi-step process!
When you tapped on the album cover picture on the Playing screen, did you get two options, "Show Image" and "Show track information"? You must tap on "Show track information" to get to the screen with the list of further options.

I agree that it would be nicer to have more options, including "Add to favorites" and "Add to playlist" in the basic three vertical dot menu that appears to right of every album and track.

Steve Z

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I found that I can control my Extreme running TAS with iPeng - has anyone else tried this? Obviously it works as it's LMS...
Yes. I regularly use the LMS interface at ip:9000

I use the taiko app on my android mobile phone but the LMS interface on my fireHD10 tablet (which runs a castrated version of Android and wouldn't load the tas app)

Update: I can confirm that the android app "Squeezer" also works

Last edited:
Reactions: seatrope

Jpowell

Dec 23, 2011
When you tapped on the album cover picture on the Playing screen, did you get two options, "Show Image" and "Show track information"? You must tap on "Show track information" to get to the screen with the list of further options.

I agree that it would be nicer to have more options, including "Add to favorites" and "Add to playlist" in the basic three vertical dot menu that appears to right of every album and track.

Steve Z
Steve, I was playing a Qobuz playlist and tried your album tap trick and it did not work on the 1st album I happened to have playing, for whatever reason. But it has worked on every other album cover I've tried--and it opens up a whole new level of detail and controls that I didn't know even existed in TAS. So many thanks for the tip! I thought I had perused the manual sufficiently, but either missed that trick or it's not yet in there, so I'm very happy to know about it.

wil

Jul 22, 2015

Steve Z
Here's the window (below) I get after selecting the "Show Track..." option. The only saving option is "Save to Favorites".

When I check out "Favorites" it's a collection of my albums, but not organized in any way. Also not searchable as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 9

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Here's the window (below) I get after selecting the "Show Track..." option. The only saving option is "Save to Favorites".

When I check out "Favorites" it's a collection of my albums, but not organized in any way. Also not searchable as far as I can tell.

Are you sure you haven't already added that track or album to Favorites or to your library? When I tap on the picture of a track already in my library I get the same screen you just showed me. However, when I click on the picture of a track from Qobuz that I haven't already added, I get the screen with the option to save the the track or album.

Steve Z

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Another work around is to load the Qobuz app and add the favorites there. Obviously it is easier if you can just do it in the TAS app but this will work too until you figure it out.

Reactions: oldmustang

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve, I was playing a Qobuz playlist and tried your album tap trick and it did not work on the 1st album I happened to have playing, for whatever reason. But it has worked on every other album cover I've tried--and it opens up a whole new level of detail and controls that I didn't know even existed in TAS. So many thanks for the tip! I thought I had perused the manual sufficiently, but either missed that trick or it's not yet in there, so I'm very happy to know about it.
Glad it works for you. Now if we could figure out why it doesn't work for @wil

The TAS beta as it currently exists still uses LMS for a lot of its functionality and the basic TAS manual doesn't cover all of the many layers of LMS. I pretty much discovered most of what I know about TAS/LMS from clicking on buttons and seeing what happens, and seeing what additional options or menus show up. So far I haven't broken anything, so the exploration this way seems pretty safe.

Steve Z

Reactions: Sablon Audio

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Yes. I regularly use the LMS interface at ip:9000

I use the taiko app on my android mobile phone but the LMS interface on my fireHD10 tablet (which runs a castrated version of Android and wouldn't load the tas app)

Update: I can confirm that the android app "Squeezer" also works
When using the browser interface, clicking on the album cover picture in the large view, similar to the Playing window in the iOS/Android version, doesn't open any additional options or menu. Instead, clicking on the playing track in the Queue window and selecting "More" from the menu that appears will open a window on the left side of the screen which contains the "Save song to library" option. As long as that track or album hasn't already been saved, as far as I can tell.

Steve Z

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Are you sure you haven't already added that track or album to Favorites or to your library? When I tap on the picture of a track already in my library I get the same screen you just showed me. However, when I click on the picture of a track from Qobuz that I haven't already added, I get the screen with the option to save the the track or album.

Steve Z
Yep, I've checked several that I know I have never listened to or saved and always get the same list as shown above. No save option other than to Favorites.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
When using the browser interface, clicking on the album cover picture in the large view, similar to the Playing window in the iOS/Android version, doesn't open any additional options or menu. Instead, clicking on the playing track in the Queue window and selecting "More" from the menu that appears will open a window on the left side of the screen which contains the "Save song to library" option. As long as that track or album hasn't already been saved, as far as I can tell.

Steve Z
Tried that too-- same window every time. No "save to library"

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Incidentally whilst we are on the subject of Tidal / Qobuz etc, if i remember correctly, when i was in Tidal and i saved something to My Collection, Roon would not automatically put this into my Roon list unless I entered Tidal through Roon. The other day it appeared automatically in my Roon even though i went through the Tidal App only. Is this a new feature?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing