-Esoteric Grandioso D1X
-Esoteric K-01X
-Esoteric K-01XD
-Esoteric K-03
-Ideon Absolute
-Nagra HD-X
-Nagra Tube Dac
-Wadax Reference
I'm available to run some tests with an Esoteric D1x.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I’ve only been able to spend a couple of hours with the changes so far but Roon does seem to have a bigger delta relative to TAS although I’m not sure how it compares to the ‘old’ Roon as I ditched it last year when TAS blew it away. For me the obvious changes are presence (the music just seems to have more presence), gain increase from what i can only assume is the noise floor dropping even further (although part of me now wants to also turn it up louder!!), soundstage size is a little bigger and micro dynamics are improved (yet again!).
That is almost word for word how I described it when I spoke to Emile. The room is energized.All of the queues that create the sense of presence are there. I remain speechless.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
There certainly seems like a valentine's day present for all the roon users out there.

As SteveZ noted, big improvements we're found with both local (the top priority here) and streaming when using roon.

And Emile notes that the roon + os/driver update will provide much of the SQ benefits that the old/unreleased xmds would have provided in December. I have no doubt that rewriting Xmds to incorporate the latest key discoveries will bring it up to and beyond what the room+os/driver will deliver next week.

However, as some who detests (a mild description of my feelings) roon and its interface, what can I expect next week from TAS+os/driver? Has anyone had a chance to compare this to roon+os/driver?

While I'm excited about the breakthrough, I have a feeling this jump in SQ will bypass me and my non-roon system, leaving me, at least for a while, with lesser SQ and still no gapless playback.

Emile--can you give at least a ballpark idea of when we non-roon users can expect to experience this new sonic magic and gapless playback?

Alex G

Feb 1, 2021
California
For my ears it was the biggest sound quality improvement in my system EVER. I finally stopped listening at midnight last night and I still haven't begun to listen to all of my files stored in the Extreme

I am still wrapping my head around what I heard yesterday and it is such a huge uptick that I am still trying to understand what happened. I too watch Emile fly through the install in just a few minutes and it was done. Everyone with an Extreme needs to have this new OS installed.

Simply put I have never heard my system sound so good as it did after the OS install. TAS took a jump up but not to the extent that Roon did

XDMS looks beautiful BTW. I love being part of this experiment in the R and D of all there new Taiko products
Wow. Amazing Steve and Nils. That’s kind of hard to imagine.
Beyond excited Emile and Ed!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
There certainly seems like a valentine's day present for all the roon users out there.

As SteveZ noted, big improvements we're found with both local (the top priority here) and streaming when using roon.

And Emile notes that the roon + os/driver update will provide much of the SQ benefits that the old/unreleased xmds would have provided in December. I have no doubt that rewriting Xmds to incorporate the latest key discoveries will bring it up to and beyond what the room+os/driver will deliver next week.

However, as some who detests (a mild description of my feelings) roon and its interface, what can I expect next week from TAS+os/driver? Has anyone had a chance to compare this to roon+os/driver?

While I'm excited about the breakthrough, I have a feeling this jump in SQ will bypass me and my non-roon system, leaving me, at least for a while, with lesser SQ and still no gapless playback.

Emile--can you give at least a ballpark idea of when we non-roon users can expect to experience this new sonic magic and gapless playback?

If you use TAS exclusively this update still provides a significant uptick in sound quality. It’s just not clearly ahead of Roon anymore.

I’ll leave estimates on the XDMS launch to @EuroDriver to comment on as he’s spearheading this particular project and manages the software development team.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Sign me up! Such great news :). Should those who are interested just send an e-mail to Taiko support?

I'm thinking of a different approach this time, previously we had a scheduler application where we had fixed 30 minute timeslots available and used 3 people to perform the updates limiting the rollout speed to 6 an hour. I can update 20-30 an hour just by myself so I'm leaning towards starting with an open model where I would be available for 16 hours in a row (minus coffee breaks / gym time) for a few days which would cover virtually everybody following this thread. Then we open a scheduler application and/or reach out to the remaining Extreme customers on a scheduled install basis. Details to follow.

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
I'm thinking of a different approach this time, previously we had a scheduler application where we had fixed 30 minute timeslots available and used 3 people to perform the updates limiting the rollout speed to 6 an hour. I can update 20-30 an hour just by myself so I'm leaning towards starting with an open model where I would be available for 16 hours in a row (minus coffee breaks / gym time) for a few days which would cover virtually everybody following this thread. Then we open a scheduler application and/or reach out to the remaining Extreme customers on a scheduled install basis. Details to follow.
I am happy to defer deciding scheduling things 100% to you @Taiko Audio - I am sure we are all eager to get to enjoy the new SQ levels but you for sure can best decide on what is the most effective way to deliver the required changes as you have the complete perspective of changes including the parts that are DAC-specific.

Pretty sure I speak for rest of members of this thread in stating the above.

Looking forward to 2nd part of the update!

Small update on-top of what I reported before - I experience the same improvements for both streaming use case via Quobuz (99% in my case) but also for my 1% locally stored music (DSD256, Redbook).

So - the OS-changes are not only affecting network-interface settings but also the upstream parts of the solution. Details are of course the IP of Taiko Audio and will remain hidden but I remain AMAZED of the impact possible from SW-changes and look forward to continued closed-loop, quick iterations innovation across this community and Taiko Audio.

WAY TO GO @Taiko Audio !

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
If you use TAS exclusively this update still provides a significant uptick in sound quality. It’s just not clearly ahead of Roon anymore.

I’ll leave estimates on the XDMS launch to @EuroDriver to comment on as he’s spearheading this particular project and manages the software development team.
The good news, is that Wilson and the Dev's are making good progress, but the Sonic and Visual Goal Posts have moved, LoL

The OS update which has liberated Roon SQ to a new level has us reviewing the XDMS processing strategy.

I think everyone who has seen the new UI, think that it's well worth waiting for.

As to a time estimate, things come out of left field including Dev;'s coming down with Omicron, it's all very difficult to predict.

In the meantime, venerable old TAS is not that far behind roon, with some OS revised users still slightly preferring TAS

We have a clear picture of what’s handicapping TAS, and XDMS won’t have that

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
The good news, is that Wilson and the Dev's are making good progress, but the Sonic and Visual Goal Posts have moved, LoL

The OS update which has liberated Roon SQ to a new level has us reviewing the XDMS processing strategy.

I think everyone who has seen the new UI, think that it's well worth waiting for.

As to a time estimate, things come out of left field including Dev;'s coming down with Omicron, it's all very difficult to predict.

In the meantime, venerable old TAS is not that far behind roon, with some OS revised users still slightly preferring TAS

That is just how the Discovery-process works - it is intrinsically hard to align with a time-plan, best way in my experience is time-boxing and instead run multiple time-boxes over time, interleaved with Delivery of small increments to Customers (starting with Beta-subset).

This is how we do it in my organization and we for sure did not invent this model but it works (those interested to drill-down may want to explore the GREAT work done by Marty Cagan's team here https://svpg.com/discovery-vs-delivery/) - both from commercial/product management and engineering perspective.

Taiko Audio already have a way of working close to what I am suggesting.

Last edited:

Muni

Sep 12, 2021
great to hear, Emile - in these time slots when you are vailable for the update - are you informing us with an e-mail or are we going to send you the tewamviewer data and you just pick omongst us....
excitement over this is at least as before Christmas centuries back...
Cudos to you and in advance toooooooo!

Muni

Sep 12, 2021
Edward, thank you for helping me with making Roon work this week - this is an incredible service - in less than half an hour after sending the e-mail you were there for me and did the job in a few minutes ( not the update )

after having had to reboot the Extreme I noticed an enormous uptick soundwise -more bloom, more everything - as said not subtle...
I was wonderung why - since I experienced that with TAS as well - ( again - no actual upgrade )
In fact TAS still outperforms Roon at large at least in my system....
Then I remembered that it is recommended to reboott the Extreme once in a while expecially when it is on 24/7 as it is in my case...because the sound diminishes which can be helped with a restart....

In my case I left the Extreme on from the very beginning while it burnt in and after that using it for 3 months now - without rebooting it -
I guess the sound got less intriguing though still great - and now after the restart I could really hear the immense quality of the Extreme - Sound for the very first time....

now my question - sorry for the long introduction....

it was mentionded somewhere in this thread that with the coming update this diminishing effect will not happen any more....true? - or should I restart the Extreme from time to time as recommended.....to avoid the effect...

thank you - great service 1+++

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Fantastic idea.
I understand we will simply open a Team Viewer in the morning, send login details and Emile will do his magic when the time comes.
I can't imagine having a better service.
Is the time fixed to start Monday?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

that sounds very encouraging.
i can wait a bit for 'the best' but it's great hearing that TAS+os is not that far behind.

has anyone had a chance to look at HQPlayer and the new os tweak?
it might be worth going that route for a while to get gapless playback here.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Glad to see you're not neglecting yourself -- that gym time and the coffee breaks are important. We want you to take care of yourself, Emile!

Steve Z

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I had to test a few DAC's so Emile loaded the OS/driver updates on my Extreme. Like the others consider me GOBSMACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually have a 10 second rule, to tell if I like something or not. The sonic uptick or I should say TRANSFORMATION using Roon over TAS was noticeable in 2 seconds. The first notes filled the room.

I told Emile I almost feel like crying, tears of joy, as to be able to use the Roon interface and have these sonics. It's a bit overwhelming.

SO THANKFUL TO BE A RIDER ON THE "TAIKO TRAIN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Someone else mentioned it, I agree that this is the most significant change in a system that I have ever experienced. Whether it had been a HW upgrade or new component, or whatever, the OS/driver update makes more of a difference than any upgrade/upgrade that I have ever experienced.

It is hard to comprehend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing