Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Christiaan Punter

No problems here w the Build 31 push. Just showed up a bit ago that the software had been updated. Just had to reconnect manually to the Extreme through XDMS (settings icon then ‘connect to Extreme’) and enter the IP address (same one seen on VNC viewer). Excellent. Excited about any incremental improvements.
On iOS, TestFlight can indeed update automatically when a new version is pushed (when the app's toggle switch is set to Automatic Updates).

Christiaan Punter

Is the “import new items from the import folder” functionality working? Just wondering how I add new music.
Please note that folder import is not yet operational. You can add music by re-scanning the music folder using Library Scan --> Clear XDMS DB and Scan.

Christiaan Punter

Brilliant!
Thanks! :)

No I don't have XDMS installed. But I'm looking forward to it.
In fact, I haven't even activated my Extreme yet.
It's been sitting in my office with the rest of my HiFi for a few weeks, waiting for my listening room to be finished.

View attachment 98041
Please note that Import Roon Playlist is currently not yet operational.

Reactions: SwissTom

Christiaan Punter

Hi Ed. I would like to know your answer to this question: once the alpha version of XDMS is installed, the successive updates, be they alpha, beta or definitive, no longer require Ed to connect, but only press the "update" button?
On iOS, TestFlight can update automatically when a new version is pushed (when the app's toggle switch is set to Automatic Updates) so no user intervention is needed at all.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
FWIW, when I upgraded to build 31, XDMS stopped working. Something must have happened to the player.conf file. I overwrote the current version of the file with the backup copy and XDMS started working again. Thanks @nenon .
Same here, that fixed it for me as well.

Reactions: dminches

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
So, the ‘most exciting update in Roon’s history’ apparently starts tomorrow. I don’t know whether to be excited or to panic.

I have had my Extreme for 2 months now and have been delighted with its performance using only Roon, so I don’t want to risk messing that up. I wonder whether any of the XDMS users and Roon naysayers will be willing to act as test pilots for this historic update? Any deterioration in sound quality won’t matter much given that they are sworn against using Roon. Just a thought that they might give benefit to us poor Roon users patiently waiting for XDMS to be released to the lowly masses. It would be quite ironic if the Roon update affords a significant improvement in sound quality. ;)

Regarding sound quality, I have found with the Extreme that I am increasingly playing music at lower levels than I used to and by as much as 10-15dB lower with the same degree of enjoyment. The texture, depth and body which was previously lost at lower volumes is still all there now using Extreme. I think also the apparent lack of any noise or distortions play a large part. I did mention this when I first got my Extreme as an unexpected side benefit but I have found it increasingly useful, if only to save my ears because the opposite is also true - I can play much louder now without fatigue, which is not a good thing to do for any length of time.

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
Oh, and just a quick note regarding the much vaunted Taiko support. I had a technical issue yesterday so I emailed support and, with it being a Sunday afternoon and knowing how busy the guys must be with XDMS, I marked it as low priority and not urgent. I then managed to solve the problem using the good old fashioned switch it all off and switch it back on again procedure, so I followed up my email saying please ignore, I’ve solved the problem.

Nonetheless, I received an email back from Ed explaining why what I had done resolved the matter and giving me a full understanding of how the issue arose. Pretty bloody good by any standards I think. Thank you to Ed.

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
To all eager XDMS Alpha testers, the two step process to get the iPad app is proving to be torturous

we are therefore transferring the next App version 32 to a new Taiko Audio Developer account with Apple but it takes a couple of days

Appreciate your patience
Thank you for the clarification Ed! :)

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
To all eager XDMS Alpha testers, the two step process to get the iPad app is proving to be torturous

we are therefore transferring the next App version 32 to a new Taiko Audio Developer account with Apple but it takes a couple of days

Appreciate your patience

Is there an equivalent for Android, like Google play console?

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
The OPTO.DX is a premium product, but not necessarily the best for your application.
The Taiko Extreme changes some of the rules. Generally speaking, the less components you have between the Extreme's USB output and your DAC, the better.

While the OPTO.DX may do a good job "decrapifying" the crappy USB signal of noisy computers, it kind of gets on the way when used with the Extreme. Even the SRC.DX does, but bypassing the Amanero on the DAVE DAC does more good than the damage of adding another component in the digital output path. And you are up for a positive net (SQ) result, which is all that matters in the end.

I will just remove the OPTO.DX here. Haven't tried the DC.BLOCK myself but I've heard from other people with Extreme -> SRC.DX -> Chord DAVE that they like it, so something for you to try and decide.

With XDMS I have no desire to go back to HQPlayer on the Extreme :). Even TAS changed that for me.

@DW101 - shoot me a DM or an email if you have any questions, so we don't get into a Chord DAVE specific discussion here.
Thanks once more for the reply, and yes that's exactly why I want to try removing the OPTO.DX :)

DAVE is very sensitive so I have found things like shielding DC4 / ARC umbilicals, DC.BLOCK, capping / grounding unused electrical inputs and outputs, all help.

Agreed let's park this dangerously DAVE specific discussion! I'll go back to watching enviously all the XMDS related posts now

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just inquiring if everyone using XDMS is able to play all musical formats. I have been able to play all of my 352.8 DXD files as well as all my DSD256 and DSD512 files. The load time of each film e was silly long in some cases. I was about to give up when the files started to play. So I am able to play all of my files

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013

Appreciate your patience
Dear Edward,

Thank you for your work on Saturday and Sunday to get XDMS installed and running in my system!
Top notch customer service!
Cheers,

VPN

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
A quick adder. I am also running the apk alpha on an Nvidia shield pro (android 11) which is my video streamer in the home theater.

Here's the xdms app running on the shield pro, upscaled to a 65" 4k television.

It's not how I do things here but this would be useful to those who integrated their audio and video systems.
Thank You for sharing! Do you control the Nvidia shield pro with some factory IR remote? If yes, I can turn off the wifi we use for our Ipads!

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Just inquiring if everyone using XDMS is able to play all musical formats. I have been able to play all of my 352.8 DXD files as well as all my DSD256 and DSD512 files. The load time of each film e was silly long in some cases. I was about to give up when the files started to play. So I am able to play all of my files
I am not able to play DSD because my DAC uses DoP. Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing