Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Took off the bracket. Reinstalled. Booted up and the connection is back.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

John T

Feb 15, 2022
@Taiko Audio So without the bracket my Extreme was up and running for 5-6 days without any issue. Today, after installing the card with the new bracket I lost a connection between 90 and 120 minutes.

Bizarre.
This adds a very strange twist...Now by removing the bracket up and running...Yes Bizarre...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hopefully only to us!
As Emile said, they already know what the issue is, that's why he's not even responding to our shananagins:)

• Haha
Reactions: ctydwn and cat6man

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio So without the bracket my Extreme was up and running for 5-6 days without any issue. Today, after installing the card with the new bracket I lost a connection between 90 and 120 minutes.

Bizarre.

Your card runs slightly cooler without the bracket installed due to increased airflow. This is exactly what threw us off track initially but it’s not a mechanical issue. I actually have to obstruct airflow to reproduce it here due to a relatively low 19 Celcius ambient temperature.

4892FB74-EC37-4615-A097-621D90C16CFB.jpeg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I do not even get an initial connection.
The ip address changes with the new card. Use Fing to find it and then you can use correct ip address. Also after restarting you can connect via fetch and then connect to seed the new ip address

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The ip address changes with the new card. Use Fing to find it and then you can use correct ip address. Also after restarting you can connect via fetch and then connect to seed the new ip address
I use Fing all the time. I have a different issue that @Taikdo is aware of.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
As Emile said, they already know what the issue is, that's why he's not even responding to our shananagins:)

Yes, over temperature protection is triggered WAY early. Running it with the bracket removed or without top cover can be temporary fixes till we figure out how to correct the firmware.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes, over temperature protection is triggered WAY early. Running it with the bracket removed or without top cover can be temporary fixes till we figure out how to correct the firmware.
Well this is great news. Interesting that my Extreme is in a 62F room and it still shuts down with bracket
My network card w/o bracket has been running for 6 days
Can the slot #3 Optane drive be moved to slot #4 to give more space around network card?

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Well this is great news. Interesting that my Extreme is in a 62F room and it still shuts down
Can the slot #3 drive be moved to slot #4 to give more space around network card?

That doesn’t help. It really triggers substantially too early, like 35-40 Celcius, before it should. Leaving the top cover off, or no bracket, can make like a 5 degree difference, moving to a different slot makes no difference.

Reactions: oldmustang

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
That doesn’t help. It really triggers substantially too early, like 35-40 Celcius, before it should. Leaving the top cover off, or no bracket, can make like a 5 degree difference, moving to a different slot makes no difference.

Exactly what I saw. Now that the new bracket is in and the extreme is back in the rack, I have to leave the unit powered down longer to cool before restarting. I use the post startup interval to set up a local music queue that will continue playing even when the nic disconnects.

Steve Williams

Exactly what I saw. Now that the new bracket is in and the extreme is back in the rack, I have to leave the unit powered down longer to cool before restarting. I use the post startup interval to set up a local music queue that will continue playing even when the nic disconnects.
Thats exactly what I do. It is easy to reconnect so I queue up 20-30 minutes of music and play until it hiccups

Steve Williams

and there is no hiccup at all if you queue up hours of local music!
I find it varies as to when you lose connection. I wondered if the type of file and file length could be dictating when it burps. However Im betting on Emile and a firmware fix

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Indeed, with the new card and new bracket leaving the top cover of the Extreme off I've gotten days of 24/7 play and XDMS/VNC connectivity without an interruption. When I put the top cover back on I get anywhere from 1 to about 2 hours of play before the new card goes into protection and disconnects.

FWIW, we keep our house around 57F (14C) during the heating season. I haven't placed a temperature probe inside the Extreme and reinstalled the top cover to check what I have as a normal running temperature, but I would classify it as warm to the touch outside and I can feel warmth on my face when I get close to the Extreme. I am sure local items on the Extreme motherboard get much warmer -- CPU chips, heat pipes, etc.

I imagine shutting off the Extreme with the front panel switch and turning the main power switch around back off and on resets the protection mode, allowing connectivity for a while when the cover is installed.

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Indeed, with the new card and new bracket leaving the top cover of the Extreme off I've gotten days of 24/7 play and XDMS/VNC connectivity without an interruption. When I put the top cover back on I get anywhere from 1 to about 2 hours of play before the new card goes into protection and disconnects.

FWIW, we keep our house around 57F (14C) during the heating season. I haven't placed a temperature probe inside the Extreme and reinstalled the top cover to check what I have as a normal running temperature, but I would classify it as warm to the touch outside and I can feel warmth on my face when I get close to the Extreme. I am sure local items on the Extreme motherboard get much warmer -- CPU chips, heat pipes, etc.

I imagine shutting off the Extreme with the front panel switch and turning the main power switch around back off and on resets the protection mode, allowing connectivity for a while when the cover is installed.

Steve Z

No need to powercycle, a reboot resets the protection.

Reactions: oldmustang

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Here in TX, we're too warm-blooded to survive such arctic conditions!
It's my northern European heritage, I guess. Besides, I've found I can always put on a sweater and a hat if I'm too cold. After a certain point if I'm too warm there are just no more clothes left to take off. . .

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing