Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Yeah, I actually have to obstruct the cooling fins to recreate it here.
My Extreme sits on a floor platform next to the Gryphon Mephisto (eventually APEX) the Mephisto in medium/high bias can put some heat out. So you must need a very high heat threshold/differential for a variety of applications....Very interesting...

rando

Sep 22, 2019
...oh, if a torch is involved, count me in for alpha testing, Emile! Good Luck over there.

I will leave this post-lunch (GMT+1) jibe in place since you commented on the blowtorch and temperature swing large enough to warp metal or trigger a temperature guard.

No offense was intended. ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow. Cool. Thx Christiaan. I am fascinated since playing files with the new Switch and even with the old card, how amazing they sound vs the streaming. I used to try and play files occasionally but I personally did not feel that they sounded so amazing (maybe they did and it was just me) that made me want to listen to only files as I loved the streaming selection of music. Now I have a dilemma. I think the dilemma will lessen when we get the future enhancements in place.

I don't think I will ever want to do demos with streaming for now vs files. The DSD files sound CRAZY GOOD.
I agree Bob about DSD . I love playing my DSD512 files but the files that really light me up are my DXD files. They are truly ear openers

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Steve Williams

I found my momentary Nirvana. Download the music I want from the Qobuz store and move to the Extreme>>>FINK!!! Sounds amazing with the file in XDMS.
absolutely. He is one of my daily go to demos with XDMS. Listen to Sort Of Revolution

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Wow. Cool. Thx Christiaan. I am fascinated since playing files with the new Switch and even with the old card, how amazing they sound vs the streaming. I used to try and play files occasionally but I personally did not feel that they sounded so amazing (maybe they did and it was just me) that made me want to listen to only files as I loved the streaming selection of music. Now I have a dilemma. I think the dilemma will lessen when we get the future enhancements in place.

I don't think I will ever want to do demos with streaming for now vs files. The DSD files sound CRAZY GOOD.

Are your non-dsd files WAV or FLAC?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I found my momentary Nirvana. Download the music I want from the Qobuz store and move to the Extreme>>>FINK!!! Sounds amazing with the file in XDMS.
Is the downloaded music FLAC or WAV?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
absolutely. He is one of my daily go to demos with XDMS. Listen to Sort Of Revolution
Yes, I've listened to Sort of Revolution, BUT the reason I like the Fink albums so much is that I can put several of his albums on and just let them play. I REALLY enjoy every track and album after album. AND the downloaded files REALY sound amazing, with music that I love and with great sonics. Happy Camper in Brooklyn:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn

Steve Williams

Yes, I've listened to Sort of Revolution, BUT the reason I like the Fink albums so much is that I can put several of his albums on and just them play. I REALLY enjoy every song, track and album after album. AND the downloaded files REALY sound amazing, with music that I love and the great sonics. Happy Camper in Brooklyn:)
I agree. I have them all. He has a very interesting bio which was an interesting read while listening

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I agree. I have them all. He has a very interesting bio which was an interesting read while listening
A REAL FIND for me. I got it from you. THANK YOU!

Steve Williams

What I find however is that the sound of my internal files is so good that I just don't even look at which format I am listening to as they all sound so close and so good. the big uptick as you said was indeed DSD and also my DXD files. Short of that we are all aware of a few of Emile's promised secrets, one of which was to shorten the gap between .wav and FLAC files

Reactions: ctydwn and Rhapsody

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There is only one downside to the continually improving sound produced by the Extreme: poor recordings sound worse. I have deleted some files after realizing how bad the recording/mastering is.

Steve Williams

There is only one downside to the continually improving sound produced by the Extreme: poor recordings sound worse. I have deleted some files after realizing how bad the recording/mastering is.
yeh, we all got rid of our MP3 files...;)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Experienced the same thing. With the lower noise floor, all flaws in the recording are showing up. I now have a list of albums that I need to
yeh, we all got rid of our MP3 files...;)
I run away from MP3 files.. :D

Reactions: dminches

Steve Williams

I had a TestFlight invite this morning to update what I thought was XDMS showing now as "beta". That caught my attention until I looked closer and saw that the license on TAS was renewed. I din't realize that there were still a lot of users still on TAS. You guys are in for a treat with XDMS which is still in alpha testing but oh so close to beta from what I read in Ed's posts yesterday

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing