596.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 44

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
On my drill press in the garage shop. I just eyeballed it. I hope this was the old throw away bracket or I would have measured.
The copper gets kind of bendy with all those holes.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
I think that was 7/64 on us scale. Drill bits are about the only thing I don't have in both us and metric.

Reactions: Zeotrope

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I while I definitely applaud the DIY efforts there does exist a wide range of expansion slot back covers already ventilated, for very inexpensive prices. These don't have the cutout for the SFP cage (though that can easily be added), but they would definitely replace the stock, non-ventilated expansion slot covers:

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 3.38.50 PM.png No endorsement of Amazon intended, but this is typical of what is out there.

Steve Z

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
If you clamp a piece of wood or metal to the bracket while using the drill press (or even if you are using a hand drill) the holes will be truer without as much bend or give around the holes. It will keep it more rigid...

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
If you clamp a piece of wood or metal to the bracket while using the drill press (or even if you are using a hand drill) the holes will be truer without as much bend or give around the holes. It will keep it more rigid...
This is what I think I did - I used the 2 wood blocks the new bracket is shipped with. But with a hand drill punch you don’t need to.

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
This is what I think I did - I used the 2 wood blocks the new bracket is shipped with. But with a hand drill punch you don’t need to.
If a piece is flush to one side it will just make a neater job. It sounds as though this is what you did. I would also use a cone shaped bit.

Reactions: Zeotrope

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
Well that did not last long. I will try again with the top off

• Wow
Reactions: Steve Williams

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...it sounds like Emile has a solution in hand, but if heat is a concern short-term and cover-off is a no-go, it looks like one could either remove that square-ish copper plate adjacent to Slot 1 or the Slot 1 mounting bracket (if unused), or both, if powered off anyway. That's a pretty good size opening for airflow. Not that drilling holes ain't fun. My head is full of them.

BTW: I was able to get the new bracket/card installed this evening. The new bracket required a little *coaxing* even after final QA from Jacky!

It seems as if others were up in a jiff, but I had difficulty starting things, rebooting, starting services, etc. Ganbatte! (persevere) as they say in Japan. OMG. Sounds nice, but I could use a wee dram.

Attachments

• 9692BA8E-A8FF-4734-B96D-D1F1A283BE3A.jpeg
    9692BA8E-A8FF-4734-B96D-D1F1A283BE3A.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 32

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
...it sounds like Emile has a solution in hand, but if heat is a concern short-term and cover-off is a no-go, it looks like one could either remove that square-ish copper plate adjacent to Slot 1 or the Slot 1 mounting bracket (if unused), or both, if powered off anyway. That's a pretty good size opening for airflow. Not that drilling holes ain't fun. My head is full of them.

BTW: I was able to get the new bracket/card installed this evening. The new bracket required a little *coaxing* even after final QA from Jacky!

It seems as if others were up in a jiff, but I had difficulty starting things, rebooting, starting services, etc. Ganbatte! (persevere) as they say in Japan. OMG. Sounds nice, but I could use a wee dram.
Our miniature schauzer Phantom provides the encouragement around here. Very non-judgemental (as long as she gets her head scratched), which is good.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 4.47.48 PM.png

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Well that did not last long. I will try again with the top off
Hang in there, Richard. I was getting 1-2 hours with the top cover on, days and days of 24/7 with the Extreme's top cover off.

Steve Z

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I guess people have a lot of free time on their hands to spend modifying the bracket. Right now, the best bracket is no bracket. My system has been up a running for days following the removal of the bracket. That’s my solution until Emile updates the firmware.

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I made a ton of 3/32 holes, in addition to the larger holes I made yesterday. I’m embarrassed to show the photo, it certainly does not look like @RichardA ’s fine effort. It’s definitely function over form, but there are holes everywhere. Let’s see…
The Neiko 02612A Hand Held Power Punch, is easy to use and does a great job making perfect holes. It’s just not easy to line them up, if you care about that then mark the holes with a pen and ruler first.

Reactions: John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing