Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess people have a lot of free time on their hands to spend modifying the bracket. Right now, the best bracket is no bracket. My system has been up a running for days following the removal of the bracket. That’s my solution until Emile updates the firmware.
But I thought the problem was the card and not the bracket??

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

The problem is the card’s heat prematurely triggering protection. However, if you remove the bracket there is more airflow and the card doesn’t get as hot.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
He means modifying the bracket by cutting holes in it.
So far I’m almost at 1 hour. Never got this far before with the lid on.
Next step I’ll remove the adjacent blank cover as suggested above, if necessary!

Edit: disconnected after an hour.
Will now remove the adjacent card blank bracket

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
He means modifying the bracket by cutting holes in it.
So far I’m almost at 1 hour. Never got this far before with the lid on.
Next step I’ll remove the adjacent blank cover as suggested above, if necessary!

Why not just remove the bracket?

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
I'm in Nacatomi Plaza. They're turning my Taiko bracket into swiss cheese.

Well it was fun making all those little holes.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you then nudge the DAC cable you could bend a contact or at least disconnect it. Seems a bit risky.

I don’t know what your setup is but I am able to tape the DAC cable to the wall behind the Extrene so the card can’t move.

Steve Williams

The problem is the card’s heat prematurely triggering protection. However, if you remove the bracket there is more airflow and the card doesn’t get as hot.
True… but now that I have holes everywhere it’s almost like no card! I now removed the blank in slot 4 and put the cover back on.
I get it.

David, IMO you got lucky and drilling holes is a bandaid as I see it. The key seems to be finding a solution to the card's heat prematurely triggering protection

Reactions: John T and cat6man

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Hi Steve, I purchase music for the same reason:) Yes, it sounds better local than streaming, but not by so much that streaming music bothers me. I mainly just worry that we may not always have an internet connection, indeed, content is not always available, or that, heaven forbid, one day, Qobuz might be out of business.
Hi Steve, I purchase music for the same reason:) Yes, it sounds better local than streaming, but not by so much that streaming music bothers me. I mainly just worry that we may not always have an internet connection, indeed, content is not always available, or that, heaven forbid, one day, Qobuz might be out of business.
Not to mention that, with the exception of the biggest acts in the bizness, artists don't get paid shit for having their music streamed. If I like something enough to play it a few times, I buy a copy from Qobuz.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Finally received the new bracket..doesn't fit nearly as good as the original one, which doesn't fit like the Taiko USB bracket.....

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned an obvious way to ameliorate heat issues with the use of small fan.

There is a broad range of very quiet (17dB and less!) fans made my Noctua that are readily available on Amazon for under $20 each. I use 2 of their 140mm (4.7") fans on my Gryphon Mephisto which makes the difference between having the amp room at a comfortable level as opposed to a sauna. They even make small 40mm (1.6") fans that are small enough to go right on the shelf behind your Extreme (or any gear). Mounting these for quiet and unobtrusive performance is easy. Controllers are also available so you can just your desired speed accordingly.

81mSPKcv89L._AC_SL1500_.jpg . 71lyRpVR4OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BTW, how many Extreme users know that there are fan switches on your memory drives in slots 1 and 7? The fans came from Taiko in their current "off" position in my Extreme for what I presume is a valid reason (noise?). But they are there!

IMG_1062.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I enjoy reading about all the novel approaches but the real solution still lies some where in Emile’s grey matter still.
I’ve been getting about 2 hours but rather than looking for a bandaid. Turn off your Extreme with a double tap and then turn on. Using the XDMS app push fetch snd then connect and that usually gets you back on. Fing has been helpful to tell if a new IP address but I’m finding that not happening. If you still can’t connect to the server Fing becomes your friend as you can put in the new ip address in the app and then hit connect. I usually find about 2 hours of music and enter it into queue and I can usually play it all

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I get it.

David, IMO you got lucky and drilling holes is a bandaid as I see it. The key seems to be finding a solution to the card's heat prematurely triggering protection
Swiss cheese bracket and Slot 4 blank bracket removed still lost connection.
Now removed lid which did work for 24 hours and was still connected when I drilled the bracket…

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
I made a ton of 3/32 holes, in addition to the larger holes I made yesterday. I’m embarrassed to show the photo, it certainly does not look like @RichardA ’s fine effort. It’s definitely function over form, but there are holes everywhere. Let’s see…
The Neiko 02612A Hand Held Power Punch, is easy to use and does a great job making perfect holes. It’s just not easy to line them up, if you care about that then mark the holes with a pen and ruler first.
I'm planning to punch the holes based on this design. This gives a nice finish (hopefully)
1679625455924.png

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned an obvious way to ameliorate heat issues with the use of small fan.

There is a broad range of very quiet (17dB and less!) fans made my Noctua that are readily available on Amazon for under $20 each. I use 2 of their 140mm (4.7") fans on my Gryphon Mephisto which makes the difference between having the amp room at a comfortable level as opposed to a sauna. They even make small 40mm (1.6") fans that are small enough to go right on the shelf behind your Extreme (or any gear). Mounting these for quiet and unobtrusive performance is easy. Controllers are also available so you can just your desired speed accordingly.

View attachment 106495 . View attachment 106497

BTW, how many Extreme users know that there are fan switches on your memory cards in slots 1 and 7? The fans came from Taiko in their current "off" position in my Extreme for what I presume is a valid reason (noise?). But they are there!

View attachment 106498
That’s the hard drive SSD if I’m not mistaken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing