Tape Head Rewire pics

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
With the growing interest in R2R and audiophiles wanting to bypass the internal electronics, there isn't very much info/photos on how to connect repro head cables to the external tape pre. Been scouring the web over the last couple of weeks looking for instructions and emailed a few smart people along the way. Finally I got my Studer A807 head rewired to my King/Cello tape pre, snap some photos in the process that I'll post here for you tape heads to enjoy.

Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 313

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you rockitman.
Yes, everything is sounding really good! So glad to have LF and HF adjustments.
I got the left and right RCA color mixed up on the first try, had to resolder but no biggie. My work is usually a lot cleaner the second time around.

Anthony

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Looks like you hooked up your interconnect wires to the head directly. I had a switch installed in the headblock of my A810 so I could still use the internal audio of my deck. Do you think it makes a big difference?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I do believe that changed in big different. better or worse will depend to the listener himself , even just change some caps of the original in the circuit will change the sound quality too, measurement can't tell the difference
tony ma

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
You won't lose much if any by using a switch, not sure since I've never installed one. I think it's nice to have the option of going back and forth between internal and external preamp. How do the two compare?
Anthony

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks for sharing your pics. :D
I was curious where/how the cables exited your Studer -- preserves the front face aesthetic...nice!

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
My Studer stands vertically and my goal was to keep the cables short as possible.
From the front the cables are routed through an opening on the left side of the headblock straight out to the back between the top and bottom PCB, drilled two holes on the back cover and out goes the cables. I'm surprise by how quiet it is, was really concern of hum issues.
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yeah, hum/noise can be an issue. The cables with jackets look fairly massive...what do you have going, there :confused:

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
They are the same cables, I added the jacket before putting the back cover back on just for looks.

I thought about using tonearms cables, but the conductors are really thin. I really like Cardas, but litz conductors are really not known for low capacitance. So I chose mic cables with really good shielding. It’s a bit thicker than the Cardas but I really didn’t have any issues.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
They are the same cables, I added the jacket before putting the back cover back on just for looks.

I thought about using tonearms cables, but the conductors are really thin. I really like Cardas, but litz conductors are really not known for low capacitance. So I chose mic cables with really good shielding. It’s a bit thicker than the Cardas but I really didn’t have any issues.

What cables did you use? Are they low capacitance?

One of the cables recommended is Gotham. I forget what John French recommends.

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the tip on the Gotham, I will look into them shortly!
I used a mic cable that I've had success with in other applications. While mic cables are not sexy to audiophiles, it is commonly used in pro audio and has really good shielding. I wouldn't hesitate using it again. Capacitance for many of these cables are not listed including the Cardas bulk stuff, best to keep as short as possible.
Belden also makes really high quality cables for different applications with specs listed, I would check them out the next time around.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think French likes the Belden cable if my memory serves me correctly.

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
I wouldn’t be surprised, I’ve used Belden quite a bit over the years. Btw, the Gotham cable is also a mic cable similar to what I used for this mod.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I wanted the A810 to still have all its original functionality. Soundwise, even after recapping and new reel motor bearings it couldn't compare to an external preamp. I'm using a modified Cello RMC preamp.

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Interesting....I wonder if the King/Cello is a similar design to the Cello RMC preamp. I’m using mine for both phono and tape with excellent results.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Assuming that your RMC "Remote something something" (have to look it up) is a mother board with 6 "daughter boards" it was actually the "repackaged" P100 phono board from the Cello Audio Suite (AS). The AS P101 board was effectively the same circuitry but all on one board (one channel only - needed two boards for stereo).

The P603 Tape pre board is also, effectively the P100/RMC board.

Cello's later Encore preamps were line level only (remember this was the time when CD was King and phono was headed for obscurity), so if you wanted an (optional) phono pre, it was supplied in a separate box as the RMC.

Charles

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks, Charles -- that was interesting. :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
nice thread
BUT
I guess the fearless would have soldered the new direct cables straight to the head terminals to avoid any joint.....
It´s not that difficult for a trained solder slinger
best
Leif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing