Tape Pancakes, Oh No!

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Thank you, Skylab. But doesn’t this video show it the hard way (Disassembling each reel, putting the tape on the reel, and reassembling each reel)?

I prefer the idea of disassembling only one reel (a plate?), putting the pancake on the open reel half, spooling the pancake tape onto a complete reel, and then rewinding it back on to a complete reel。
Hi Ron, I have a contact with a Chinese factory that supplies reels and packaging to tape manufacturers, and you can buy the flanges direct from the factory. You can just fix them directly onto the hubs. The cost is very reasonable if you buy in bulk.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron, I have a contact with a Chinese factory that supplies reels and packaging to tape manufacturers, and you can buy the flanges direct from the factory. You can just fix them directly onto the hubs. The cost is very reasonable if you buy in bulk.
Thank you for the thought. But I am good for now. I have all of my pancakes on reels now.

Reactions: Johan K

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Exactly i dont see the problem either
If you have a large underlaying platter like foxbat has or like my telefunken it works perfect

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Pancakes? Nothing could be easier!
Nothing could be easier? Is this a matter for the Hyperbole Police?

The Detective on Duty there is suggesting to me a number of things that potentially could be easier than dealing with tape pancakes. Eating a chocolate bar, for example, he suggests.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Well... lesse... you can break a tooth while eating a chocolate bar - actually happened to me. Major pain and expense.

I don't see how THAT can happen while playing a pancake. :)

But I do get your point... I am just trying to guide some innocent souls towards great spiritual discovery. :)

Believe me... once you are over the initial hesitation and gain some experience, you don't want to look back.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Seriously, thank you for your post. :)

I had a whole inventory of pancakes to put on reels last year. The whole job, thankfully, is now done.

Out of around 40 pancake surgeries, I screwed up only one tape: the first couple of minutes of the first track of an Air Supply album. (Not a huge loss.)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yes, these too have centering hubs.

The reels, used by ATR are, in my experience, notoriously wobbly.

Yes, I have a bunch and they are wobbly as all hell.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Well, they shoot for low cost...

Many of them are assembled that way, with the flanges not centered... these can sometimes be made better by loosening their screws and making the flanges more centered.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing