Tape Project Selections For Series Three

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am a charter subscription member and receive all 10 tapes per season. Of the 16 I have received so far I can truly say that sonically these tapes occupy top spot in my collection even though many are classical of which I am not a fan, and several jazz albums which, although very good are still not great favorites of mine. Nonetheless I play them all but I still have my favorites. Many of us are hoping for some more Pop/Rock/Soul genre of music. I know there is a similar thread at TP but we have many members here who subscribe to TP. I know it's wishful thinking but what albums would you like to see for Series Three?

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The problem with a lot of the musical suggestions at the TP site is that these recordings just wouldn't have have a broad appeal. TP's major issue is this: licensing and royalty payments. Major labels want a lot and unrealistic sums of money to license their recordings-and how many is the TP going to sell? These labels might want 10-20 K to license a given title. The math just doesn't work. I feel unfortunately, with maybe a few exceptions, the TP will be limited to a few small labels and audiophile labels.

Now they might be able to tag onto Winston Ma-such as how the Deccas kinda of fell into their lap.

No, I think the only person who could get these "BIG" titles is Chad.

So in the end, maybe they should maximize the avenues available to them presently?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Damn these tapes from Verve sound awesome! ;)

Regards,

Produced by Creed and engineered by Rudy?

Funny, I find the Verves just a step below the BN, Impulse, Riverside, Pablo, etc. sonically. Not that they aren't good but for some reason, the sound just lacks the jump factor. Too laid back for me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What are the tapes from Verve that you and Bruce are referring to

None specifically but in general to the jazz label that Creed Taylor took over after his one year stint starting the Impulse label and which tapes he was listening to. My experience is from some of the new 45 rpm releases from ORG and the original issues.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yes, the ones that we are transferring to digital.... (after we make a back-up copy.. just in case!)

Would you be employing the former Swedien Studer A80 for back-up:cool::confused:

Dave Pogue

Jun 12, 2010
Responding to comments about Verve tape sonics, some of my all-time favorite tapes are on Verve. A few examples:
* Bob Brookmeyer Quartet,"The Blues Hot and Cold"
* "The individualism of Gil Evans"
* Stan Getz "Focus" (I have this on tape, LP, and CD)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing