Tascam anounces New DSD Recorder!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
can you recommend any two channel units ? What do you think of the Tascam's built in A/D ? The needle drops I have made lately sound really good. Is mytek's a/d better than the DA-3000's built in a/d ?

Yes, the Myteks are better than the internal A/D converter but it's not a night/day difference.

At this time, there are only two 2 channel converters I can recommend. That is the MSB Platinum Studio and the Ayre QA-9. The 8-channel converters I can recommend are the aformentioned Grimm and Horus.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yes, the Myteks are better than the internal A/D converter but it's not a night/day difference.

At this time, there are only two 2 channel converters I can recommend. That is the MSB Platinum Studio and the Ayre QA-9. The 8-channel converters I can recommend are the aformentioned Grimm and Horus.

Thanks Bruce. Seems like the Ayre QA9 is my best bet.

rkay5

Feb 19, 2013
I'm looking at getting a DA-3000 for DSD vinyl recording I own a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC mastering version.What I'd like to know can I use the SDIF inputs on the Mytek (as firewire audio interface) to recorded DSD to PC using Vinyl Studio software(will recorded DSD). Has anyone tried doing this?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I'm looking at getting a DA-3000 for DSD vinyl recording I own a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC mastering version.What I'd like to know can I use the SDIF inputs on the Mytek (as firewire audio interface) to recorded DSD to PC using Vinyl Studio software(will recorded DSD). Has anyone tried doing this?

The Mytek is a DAC. It can be used to monitor what you record or playback files that you have recorded. It is not an A-D converter.

The DA-3000 can be used to record your vinyl. It has a very good A-D.

rkay5

Feb 19, 2013
The Mytek is a DAC. It can be used to monitor what you record or playback files that you have recorded. It is not an A-D converter.

The DA-3000 can be used to record your vinyl. It has a very good A-D.

The Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC can be used as Firewire audio interface. I use that way with a Mytek Stereo 192 A2DC using AES output to the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC AES input>Read the manual about record with Firewire and a A2DC.
From manual:Firewire Recording
The Stereo192-DSD DAC has the unique ability to operate as a 2
channel Firewire Audio Interface for Both MAC and PC.
Connecting a stand-alone stereo analog digital converter such as
the MYTEK Stereo192 ADC via AES/EBU, S/PDIF, TOSLINK or
ADAT allows the passing of digital audio through the DAC into
any DAW or Archival software. Programs such as Channel D's
Pure Vinyl allow you to transfer and instantly playback your
Vinyl Library through the Stereo192-DSD DAC’s digital inputs
and analog outputs.
What I'd like to is use the SDIF output from the DA-3000 to the Mytek's SDIF inputs than to computer software Vinyl Studio for recording that what like know about if it will work .

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC can be used as Firewire audio interface. I use that way with a Mytek Stereo 192 A2DC using AES output to the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC AES input>Read the manual about record with Firewire and a A2DC.
From manual:Firewire Recording
The Stereo192-DSD DAC has the unique ability to operate as a 2
channel Firewire Audio Interface for Both MAC and PC.
Connecting a stand-alone stereo analog digital converter such as
the MYTEK Stereo192 ADC via AES/EBU, S/PDIF, TOSLINK or
ADAT allows the passing of digital audio through the DAC into
any DAW or Archival software. Programs such as Channel D's
Pure Vinyl allow you to transfer and instantly playback your
Vinyl Library through the Stereo192-DSD DAC’s digital inputs
and analog outputs.
What I'd like to is use the SDIF output from the DA-3000 to the Mytek's SDIF inputs than to computer software Vinyl Studio for recording that what like know about if it will work .

The SDIF-3 connections on the Mytek and all other digital connections are inputs, not outputs. You mentioned the ADC which would record to a computer. Do you have the ADC as well as the DAC?
You can also drag the files created on the Tascam into an editing software.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have done 24/192 needle drops with this unit. It captures the spaciousness of the sound field reproduced by the analog experience very well.

Last edited:

rkay5

Feb 19, 2013
The SDIF-3 connections on the Mytek and all other digital connections are inputs, not outputs. You mentioned the ADC which would record to a computer. Do you have the ADC as well as the DAC?
You can also drag the files created on the Tascam into an editing software.
I said in last post that I have Mytek Stereo 192 A2DC thats plugged into AES input of Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC

rkay5

Feb 19, 2013
Will I got a DA-3000 it has some very good sounding A2D both pcm & dsd recording sound great.I'm glad I got the DA-3000.

Phillip

Jun 11, 2014
Yes, everything is fine. Just stuck on 1.00

Hi, I just started using my DA-3000, and tried to update the firmware with my SD card but it didn't work either. So I bought a CF card and the firmware update worked. It looks like the machine wants a CF card to do the updates.

Although it's not listed in the DA-3000 approved media, this Kingston 16GB CF card CF/16GB-U2 worked fine.

merrillaudio

TA-3000 file editing

I found Korg software that will allow the DSD files to be editing in native DSD. The software is free. If you don't have Korg equipment, then it will tweet everytime you do a conversion. If you do have Korg equipment, it is free. It is basic but works very well for DSD files recorded on the TA-3000 Tascom.

I prefer editing on the computer rather than the tascam. For vinyl ripping, the Tascam can pick up needle drops, record the whole side with not interaction. Then I edit on the computer. Seems very easy and nice.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I found Korg software that will allow the DSD files to be editing in native DSD. The software is free. If you don't have Korg equipment, then it will tweet everytime you do a conversion. If you do have Korg equipment, it is free. It is basic but works very well for DSD files recorded on the TA-3000 Tascom.

I prefer editing on the computer rather than the tascam. For vinyl ripping, the Tascam can pick up needle drops, record the whole side with not interaction. Then I edit on the computer. Seems very easy and nice.

The Korg Audiogate software is very rudimentary at best. Should be good enough for what you need it for. Just don't upgrade it past 2.3

merrillaudio

The Korg Audiogate software is very rudimentary at best. Should be good enough for what you need it for. Just don't upgrade it past 2.3

What happens after 2.3? I hope I don't turn into a pumpkin :)

Any other suggestions on free software that allows for native DSD file editing?

Thanks.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

Thanks.

The newest software is a player only. It takes away all the other features.

You have been warned! :eek:)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area

Thanks.

I had digitized few of my tapes and the latest Audogate software had to be activated with USB connection to Korg 1bit recorder before I could divide tracks or export, etc. Although I haven't used older versions but my guess is that you don't need to activate to output from Audiogate.

merrillaudio

Korg Audiogate DSD editing.

The newest software is a player only. It takes away all the other features.

You have been warned! :eek:)

Yikes!!!! Thanks for the heads up. It is now asking me to do the update and I am declining. the rest still works.

I had digitized few of my tapes and the latest Audogate software had to be activated with USB connection to Korg 1bit recorder before I could divide tracks or export, etc. Although I haven't used older versions but my guess is that you don't need to activate to output from Audiogate.

I have version 2.3.3. To use the editing features, you have to enter your twitter account. I created a dummy twitter account for this and it works very well.
Everytime you do something, you have to copy and paste the tweet they want you to do before exporting. Since it is my dummy twitter account, I don't mind.

If anyone wants the 2.3.3 version of the software, let me know.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I just read more about the new Audiogate 3 software. You can read about it HERE, but if you don't have a Korg product to activate it, you're limited to 44.1/48k
Sounds like they have implemented almost all of the editing features in the previous product, again, as long as you have Korg hardware. Doesn't sound like 2.3.3 or 3.0 is supported by Twitter any more.

Here is a download link for 2.3.4

Last edited:

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
The Grimm is an A/D converter, so when I connect the Grimm to the Tascam, it's some of the best recorded music I've heard.

Both the Tascam and Sonoma are "capture devices". There are some editing properties to the Tascam, but no where as deep as the Sonoma software, which it is one of the best DSD editors I've used.
The Sonoma uses the ST-optical interface, which is only used by Meitner and Playback Designs. The way I get around this is using the Grimm OC-1, which is a SDIF-3 to ST-optical converter.

Can the Tascam capture a 128fs (5.64MHz) DSD signal from the EMM Labs ADC8 Mk IV? If so, that would be its advantage over the Sonoma, which can't record to DSD128.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Can the Tascam capture a 128fs (5.64MHz) DSD signal from the EMM Labs ADC8 Mk IV? If sou, that would be its advantage over the Sonoma, which can't record to DSD128.

Yes it can via SDIF-3 input

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing