Teac x2000 open reel deck

manderson

May 21, 2020
I intend to sell the above in excellent overall condition but have encountered a problem.......as follows: The fast forward/reverse control simply permits the reels to 'amble along' at a leisurely pace, when in fact this function should permit the reels to fast forward! The x2000 has a useful feature referred to as 'spool', whereby the reels do in fact revolve as a lessor speed. However, concerning the above, there is no discernable difference between 'fast forward/reverse' and 'spool'! What has caused this to occur?
Thank you.

Attachments

• X2000+ Cat copy.jpg
    X2000+ Cat copy.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 17

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Most Japanese reel to reel tape decks were designed with mediocre spooling motors that weren't as strong as pro decks, Studer etc. If you are using a reel of old tape it might have succumbed to 'sticky shed syndrome', in other words the tape is causing a high amount of stiction as it passes through the tape path and the spooling motors aren't capable of pulling it any longer. Also, you must remove any oxide buildup from the tape path, even a little can cause too much drag on the transport. Hard to believe but I've seen this happen many times when using old tape. I gave up on the old tape by throwing it in the garbage and replacing it with spools of new tape from RMG/Pyral. There is new tape being sold and it is the best ever, here is a link to one company in Europe:

https://www.recordingthemasters.com/

This is assuming that there isn't an electronic problem with your deck. I suppose there could be a component failure that is holding the shuttle function at a lower speed.

manderson

May 21, 2020
Most Japanese reel to reel tape decks were designed with mediocre spooling motors that weren't as strong as pro decks, Studer etc. If you are using a reel of old tape it might have succumbed to 'sticky shed syndrome', in other words the tape is causing a high amount of stiction as it passes through the tape path and the spooling motors aren't capable of pulling it any longer. Also, you must remove any oxide buildup from the tape path, even a little can cause too much drag on the transport. Hard to believe but I've seen this happen many times when using old tape. I gave up on the old tape by throwing it in the garbage and replacing it with spools of new tape from RMG/Pyral. There is new tape being sold and it is the best ever, here is a link to one company in Europe:

https://www.recordingthemasters.com/

This is assuming that there isn't an electronic problem with your deck. I suppose there could be a component failure that is holding the shuttle function at a lower speed.

Your response received & appreciated. However, I am well aware of the so called 'sticky tape' problem having encountered this.
That though, is not the problem. The Teac X2000 has a useful 'spooling' function which slows down rewinds (in each direction) keeping the tape tidily wound. Although currently inexplicable (?), it is suspected that the 'spooling speed' has become the 'default' winding speed!
Will meantime, ponder how to overcome this rather irksome situation! Regards.

manderson

May 21, 2020
Your response received & appreciated. However, I am well aware of the so called 'sticky tape' problem having encountered this.
That though, is not the problem. The Teac X2000 has a useful 'spooling' function which slows down rewinds (in each direction) keeping the tape tidily wound. Although currently inexplicable (?), it is suspected that the 'spooling speed' has become the 'default' winding speed!
Will meantime, ponder how to overcome this rather irksome situation! Regards.

mhoncho69

Jul 31, 2020
Sounds like what mine is doing.
I just picked up my dad's reel to reel I've used it as a kid but just to test it hooked it to modern day receiver c ant get sound I'm pretty sure I have it strung through correctly and it does stick a certain areas. Just picked up the tapes yesterday I'm not sure if blank or not I'm not even getting any hiss. I've tried monitor source button multiple rca on receiver. Anyone have a link oor literature try and figure this out?

Thanks for any help that I can get

skywaveTDR

Mar 26, 2021
The idea that the X2000 deck does not have strong motors in it is wrong. The spooling or winding of any sticky tape is not a problem of the deck but of the tape. The machine can not be blamed for that and spooling is suppose to be slow. If you take the restrictions off the motors that is there and if the power supply is up to par these motor can surprise you with the speed you will get from them. The typical problem with these decks is the opto reference are set wrong or out of whack and the tension are set wrong- I see it all the time. On a recent X1000R I worked on it said in the specs a 1800 foot roll will wind in 80 seconds. Well after making sure everything was adjusted correctly- I timed it and it did do it.

The problem with the X2000 deck is it was the last one they made of that brand and in doing this it was rushed to market, cheaped out in every way and out of all the Teac decks it has the most manufacturing mistakes, low build quality and cheap parts in it of any unit they made. They sure maximized profits on this one. Why do I say this? I have to work on them and I have been one of the guys who fixes them. The head mount system in comparison to the X1000R is a nightmare.
Many of these deck are not Studer deck as they were made with cheaper parts- I admit that. But then they do not work bad when used with good tape and when adjusted properly and yes I have worked on PR99, B67 and A807 when Chief Engineer in radio.

NSV-Andy

Nov 29, 2022
Green Bay, Wisconsin USA
I found this thread after having dealt with an X-2000R machine recently. It sounds like the OP's problem was the beginning of the problem I encountered.

The customer had brought the machine in for belt replacement, cleaning and lubrication. After doing all of that, I threaded the machine and found that it would not take up the tape in either direction and it would not rewind or fast-forward. I spent a great deal of time getting to know the circuit (!) and could not seem to nail down the problem.

Partly through analysis and partly through accident, I discovered that when the tensioning arms (which have photo sensors in them) were "in between" states, it would start to work. This means that the photo transistors were partly conducting and passing a small amount of voltage to the circuit without triggering the shut-off circuit.

In looking at the circuit, I could not determine just where they intended to get some of the voltages needed for the reel motor circuit to operate. If you look on the schematic to the sensor PCBs (for the tensioning arms), you will see that they connect to D120 and D122. These are zener diodes that are supposed to have approximately 5 volts on the cathodes of the diodes. I can't see where this voltage is supposed to come from.

My solution was to add a 30 K Ohm resistors from pin 1 to pin 3 of both P120 and P121. These are the connectors for the sensor boards for the tensioning arms. These resistors supply the needed 5 volts to the diodes, and to the op-amps that they connect to. This allows the circuit to work. I selected 30K through hooking up a potentiometer up and adjusting it to the approximate correct voltage. 30K is a non-standard value, I suppose 33K May work, but two 15K in series for each sensor connector would give you what is needed if you don't have a 30K available.

As far as this machine is concerned, I don't think it was one of Teac's best efforts. It's not exactly elegant circuit design and it's finicky mechanically (the dual capstan/pinch roller setup is troublesome). Once everything is right with it the machine performs well. But I have an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that I will see this again, and it won't be like seeing an old friend whom I miss.

I hope this helps someone else who may encounter this problem.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing