Tears For Fears - what genre of music are they?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would classify this band as being in the Progressive genre. What say you?

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm old school when it comes to genres though I heed their advice to the young at heart :) . No new wave adult alternative whatever for me. I LOVE Tears for Fears just saw them in concert a few months ago. I say Rock. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm old school when it comes to genres though I heed their advice to the young at heart :) . No new wave adult alternative whatever for me. I LOVE Tears for Fears just saw them in concert a few months ago. I say Rock. :)

Rock yeah...but very orchesteral and different from standard rock......I'm still thinking somewhat Progressive.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would distinguish them even further as "Light Rock"

Interesting......to me Styx, ELO and stuff is like light rock. I think that TFF are deeper than that.

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Not progressive. Not at all. 80's synth based new wave/pop. No way songs like Everybody Wants To Rule The World or Shout are progressive rock. They did change their act in the 90's to a sound that is more Beatles-ish.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not progressive. Not at all. 80's synth based new wave/pop. No way songs like Everybody Wants To Rule The World or Shout are progressive rock. They did change their act in the 90's to a sound that is more Beatles-ish.

Maybe some of their hits...dig deeper though and the synth is gone. I think they are much more progressive than what you may think.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe some of their hits...dig deeper though and the synth is gone. I think they are much more progressive than what you may think.

But I'm not saying they are...just questioning.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Hey John, you fellow prog head:), have you ever checked out progarchives.com? It is one of, if not the, leading on-line authorities for progressive music. The wealth of information there is just unbelievable. I visit that site at least once a day.

Assuming you haven't yet done so, register. It would be interesting if you would start pose your question at their forum to see what the prog community thinks about TFF.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I second the opinion on "Alternative", at least that would work for me since I would not like them to appear in my Rock list, BTW Itunes has a new acoustic version of Sowing the Seeds of Love.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Boy, all these years and I never really even thought about this. Darn you John!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Thanks to VH1 it seems any artist or band popular in the 80s and early 90s gets "Adult" slapped in front of the genre. TFF certainly started as a synth/pop band albeit one with darker undertones. Not as gloomy as The Cure or Siouxsie and the Banshees but they did hit it big in the post-punk, pre-gothic period generally referred to New Wave outside the US (at least the next one) for lack of any real genre as the 80's UK bands took U.S. charts like no other time since the 60s. The Hurting, which is still my favorite even if a certain Adam Lambert weirded out Mad World, had these guys looking the New Wave part with the familiar hair cuts, eyeliner and all black clothing. Unlike other "New Wave" synth/pop bands like Flock of Seagulls or early Depeche Mode, however TFF always had acoustic guitars and generally used electric bass just like other hard to peg bands from the same era such as Echo and the Bunnymen and Bauhaus. By the time Songs from the Big Chair came guitar use took precedence over synths making them more "Rock" than Synth Pop. Just like the first two albums however succeeding ones retained a mix of dark brooding songs with songs with catchy pop hooks. The last two Albums incorporated bits of blues, jazz and even folk motifs. In the concert I watched recently they even covered Jackson's Billy Jean.

They really are a mixed bag with influences from all over. Stripped to the most basic however I think that TFF today can really be best described as just Rock.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ron - I visit ProgArchives regularly, but never registered. Thanks for that, I think I might just do that!

Jack - Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head about them being a mixed bag of influences. I've never been able to narrow them down into one partcular genre myself, hence the question.

John

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
80's synth pop. It's a fairly big category that includes music of various levels of quality from dreck to guilty pleasure to sublime and can be broken down into further sub-categories based on influences such as world beat (UB40, haircut 100, Thompson Twins, Culture Club, Howard Jones, Thomas Dolby), quasi-progressive (Wang Chung, INXS, The Fixx, Depeche Mode), Beatlesque (Squeeze, Cars) and others.

Some bands bleed from one sub category to another as they go from song to song or album to album.

TFF would probably go under quasi progressive.

The quasi part not intended as a slam only descriptor.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yep, it's a pop band. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The Beatles were a pop band.

P

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Been listening to TFF over the last few days and I still can't decipher them. I have this thing in my head that says "progressive overtures"..and I'm ok with that, but I can't pinpoint it. Maybe I should just let it die and call it "rock".

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I suppose you could call some of their music crossover prog. For reference or comparison, here's an example of what is known as crossover prog by a local (Los Gatos, CA) band, Dredg, and excellent music at that:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I suppose you could call some of their music crossover prog. For reference or comparison, here's an example of what is known as crossover prog by a local (Los Gatos, CA) band, Dredg, and excellent music at that:

Can you get me a link to some tunes?

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing