Technics SP-10R with OMA cast-iron plinth : both Modern & Nostalgic!

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Yes!
A great match!
Would you be able to comment on the differences b/w the stock Verdier motor and Dereneville soundwise?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Beautiful table - one of my dream tables. I would luv to hear that.

He needs to buy a Micro Seiki cu-180 platter mat thou.

@howiebrou - you need to buy a 4th table mate so we can compare to the mk3 :p
The OMA sounds great. May be I can schlep my Mk3 over to David's for a fight! It was very interesting changing the bases and feet under the OMA. Pretty easily discernible differences and yes we all agreed that the SRA bare bones rack brought the best result.

Reactions: CKKeung and XV-1

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have not heard the OMA graphite mat, but the cu-180 is sensational. It has a little more detail than the Artisan Fidelity copper platter mat which I bought then on sold to a friend.
May be I should try my MS CU-300 mat on the Technics...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The OMA sounds great. May be I can schlep my Mk3 over to David's for a fight! It was very interesting changing the bases and feet under the OMA. Pretty easily discernible differences and yes we all agreed that the SRA bare bones rack brought the best result.

Absolutely Howie!! I would seriously look at getting the OMA / SP10R if it was a definite upgrade in overall sq rather different

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
May be I should try my MS CU-300 mat on the Technics...

You should. I have a feeling the cu-300 will be closer in sound to the Artisan with the additional thickness v cu-180.
But I could b totally wrong :)

cmchan

Aug 24, 2018
Would you be able to comment on the differences b/w the stock Verdier motor and Dereneville soundwise?
The Dereneville motor comes with 24V LPS and maintains speed accuracy better - less wow & flutter. Original motor runs quieter, whilst Dereneville with Papst motor is audible within 2 feet. However, Dereneville helps to lower noise floor and can hear more micro detail. For me - an overall improvement

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The Dereneville motor comes with 24V LPS and maintains speed accuracy better - less wow & flutter. Original motor runs quieter, whilst Dereneville with Papst motor is audible within 2 feet. However, Dereneville helps to lower noise floor and can hear more micro detail. For me - an overall improvement
Excellent system...what speakers are you using?

Reactions: rob

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Technics has launched their new model of direct-drive turntable SP-10R for a few years.
There isn't any dealer for it in Hong Kong so it's until last week that I had the chance to listen to it at a friend's home.

My friend David pairs it with the Oswalda Mill Audio cast-iron plinth.
MF wrote a rather detailed review on Stereophile in 2019 so I won't repeat the tech details but only to share some photos with you.

Both the drive mechanism and plinth are heavy.
Must employ a logistic company or one will be risking his own back.
View attachment 79880
View attachment 79881

The OMA plinth without the drive mechanism.
It's a two-tonearm model.
View attachment 79882

Another friend who is an expert in setting up turntable helped David to set up and fine-tune the SP-10R.
View attachment 79883

The tonearm was Axiom and the cartridge was Etsuro Gold.
The rack is a SRA Craz3.

For the 4 corners of the OMA plinth, Audio Replas special treated stainless steel spikes were installed
View attachment 79884

We also tried putting diff materials between the turntable and the rack, such as granite plate & slate plate.
View attachment 79885

Even a Minus-K CT2 anti-vibration platform :
View attachment 79886

Interestingly we found that putting the turntable directly on the SRA gave the most natural performance.
:p
Very nice.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm still experimenting with different feet and currently trying Track Audio feet - which I think are the best so far.

20210717_153223~2.jpg
20210717_153233~2.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fun thread. Thank you.

What feet come with the OMA plinth as standard and do they have footer recommendations?

When you guys experiment with different mats, do you readjust alignment and VTA for different thicknesses? If not, you may be hearing that instead of the actual mat differences or some combination of the two.

Nice assembly of turntables. I would love to see a photograph from the listening seat of the front of the room.

Reactions: MrC.

cmchan

Aug 24, 2018
Fun thread. Thank you.

What feet come with the OMA plinth as standard and do they have footer recommendations?

When you guys experiment with different mats, do you readjust alignment and VTA for different thicknesses? If not, you may be hearing that instead of the actual mat differences or some combination of the two.

Nice assembly of turntables. I would love to see a photograph from the listening seat of the front of the room.
Some pictures for you Peter. "Stock OMA feet" are nothing more than studs with M6 thread. No feet recommendations provided, but I tried Cerabase Classic, Audio Replas, Track Audio, in addition to the studs. All gave different results, with the Track Audio feet producing the preferred sound for my ears - music more free flowing, imaging even more solid, and less coloured compared to Cerabase. When comparing different mats, I did do some basic VTA and VTF adjustments each time, but not to the degree of fine-tuning upon each mat change. Each mat had its own sound - with the MS copper mat sounding nice and warm, whilst the OMA graphite mat a little more open. I also tried a Dereneville mat which sounds very good - somewhere between copper and graphite mat. The original SP-10R rubber mat is a little less dynamic than the others. So down to individual preference.

Attachments

• 3AA4595A-C92F-491E-9FEB-2E19C8D26AA3.jpeg
    3AA4595A-C92F-491E-9FEB-2E19C8D26AA3.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 81
  • E70E591C-B018-4FE5-97A7-F4B4CF78D104.jpeg
    E70E591C-B018-4FE5-97A7-F4B4CF78D104.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 101

Soundnut

Nov 22, 2021
Hi CKKeung,

I have order the SP-10R and I am deciding what plinth to go with.
Could you describe the internal construction of you OMA plinth? Or share a picture of its bottom if possible?
Thank you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He is currently using 4 cartridges.
The other three are Kondo IoM, the Infinity mono and VDH Colibra Stradivarius.

The Technics is his new mistress so he gives her the best one.
:p

@Mike Lavigne why are you liking a technics post 4 months later? Why are you rereading a technics thread again?

Soundnut

Nov 22, 2021
Thank you for the link. This was very informative. I have to look into the cost of this adventure:)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@Mike Lavigne why are you liking a technics post 4 months later? Why are you rereading a technics thread again?
Ked, you are a sh*t stirring devil. :p

i saw the fresh post about the plinth question, watched the OMA video, then re-read the thread. it's a fun thread as was mentioned, and worth re-reading. it's a cold rainy night in Seattle. hope you are well.

to begin with i forgot i read it before.

they do mention very positively the Etsuro Gold. ;)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing