Telarc 180g re-issues by Craft Recordings

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
In a few words, really well done and much better than the originals. Specifically, the Carmina Burana - which I feel is the best there ever was, and sounds much better than any CD version I've ever had - is much cleaner, articulate and dynamic than the originals from the 1980's, and the bass drum is so much tighter and authoritative. Regarding dynamics, the soprano overpowered my room. The pressings by Optimal Media are very very quiet, only issue I have is some sort of out-of-phase, low-level whooshing I sometimes hear; annoying to be sure.

Bravo to Craft Recordings!

Reactions: tima and Marcus

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Ack, thanks for the information. Do you have the original Telarc vinyl to compare with the new vinyl reissue of the Carmina Burana or just the original Telarc CDs? I have the original Carmina Burana on vinyl. It was a TAS Superdisc when it first came out in vinyl. I don't think that the Four Seasons came out on LP. That looks like it only was issued on CD and SACD.

I have the First Impression Music CD issue of both the Telarc Carmina Burana and the Four Seasons that Winston Ma released a few years ago, remastered by Michael Bishop, who also remastered the CD's that came with my Decca book that FIM published in 2014. I asked Michael about his remasters of the Telarc original, since he was a member of the Telarc engineering team before the demise of Telarc. He told me that he didn't think he could do better than the originals, but that he was able to get more out of the original digital files than the original CDs. I only had one comparison between original and remastered CD's and to my ear, the remastered was clearly better (it was the Kunzel Round Up album).

Winston issued about 20 or so of the Telarc albums, all remastered by Michael Bishop or Robert Friedrich of Five/Four Productions which was formed by former Telarc engineers when Telarc went under. Since Winston's death, FIM is no longer producing albums and Elusive Disc who was their US distributor may be the main source of remaining inventory for those interested.

I just checked my collection and it looks like I have the Shaw Carmina Burana in the original vinyl, original CD, SACD and FIM CD reissue! I probably should do a little comparison listening.

Larry

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Larry,

Yes, I have the original Orff, two of them in fact... no contest, the re-issue is superior. I have the original CD as well, and a few re-issues have come and gone to the trash bin, as well as other performances. There is nothing like the Atlanta/Shaw LP IMO, and this re-issue is a steal at $35 right now.

Regarding the Vivaldi, imagine beautiful string tone from digital on LP - it can happen. A couple of Telarc CDs I have/had have also met their demise.

Reactions: astrotoy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Larry,

Yes, I have the original Orff, two of them in fact... no contest, the re-issue is superior. I have the original CD as well, and a few re-issues have come and gone to the trash bin, as well as other performances. There is nothing like the Atlanta/Shaw LP IMO, and this re-issue is a steal at $35 right now.

Regarding the Vivaldi, imagine beautiful string tone from digital on LP - it can happen. A couple of Telarc CDs I have/had have also met their demise.
Thanks, I was switching between various versions of the Shaw Carmina Burana this evening. Definitely differences in tonal balance and richness of the sound. I think the FIM CD is the best sound of my versions. The new vinyl looks like a good deal.

Larry

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have the original Firebird and it’s very good, but the Reference Recordings is far superior, therefore, didn’t care for this reissue, so can’t help

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I've ordered a batch of those reissues here for the store, but then I saw this review:

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/music-reviews/telarc-firebird-vinyl-reissue/

Anybody else heard those, specially "Firebird", and can tell me what's going on? :) Are these good or rubbish like Bob says?

I believe Bob Levi went overboard in his review of the Carmina. I compared with my original and the differences are not as nearly stark as he implies. On the one hand I detected a small reduction in dynamic range, but on the other the reissue sounds a bit richer and very slightly more detailed. Also his review is at odds with Andrew Quint’s TAS review.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh so that's the "other" review Bob references... My problem with these Telarc LPs is that I was never able to find truly clean ones, they'd always pop and crackle too much.

Well, I will know soon enough!

Reactions: Jon

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I believe Bob Levi went overboard in his review of the Carmina. I compared with my original and the differences are not as nearly stark as he implies. On the one hand I detected a small reduction in dynamic range, but on the other the reissue sounds a bit richer and very slightly more detailed. Also his review is at odds with Andrew Quint’s TAS review.

Robert Woods chatting about recording the Atlantic Symphony

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Back to Carmina Burana. The original 50kHz sampling rate with the Soundstream recording apparatus does not transfer to RBCD really well; The FIM version converts the original to DSD and then down to redbook. Compared to any other version of this work on CD that I have, including the original Telarc, this one is FAR superior, very close to the LP on my system. Simply listening to the silky cymbals and sweet strings is all one needs to be convinced. $40 at Elusive Disc for the Limited Edition "First 2000 pressings" - not sure what this means but that's the one I bought; the "non-limited edition" is $25.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks, Ack, for posting that information, I just ordered the same limited edition.

First 2000 pressings is good because it is a glass disc master. Glass masters cannot survive more than several thousand rounds of pressing, at least that's what I read in the booklet of my XRCD of Holst's Planets (Mehta/LA Phil).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK great, Al. I am sure it will BLOW your mind. As you know, I got effectively a brand new A90 the other day, and am still awaiting the fixed XP-25 phono to hear the power supply mods I made to it while the A90 was in Denmark for repairs. There are moments I think this CD surpasses the LP in my system, at least the old A90 and "lesser" XP-25, but we'll see.

One thing's for sure, this redbook transfer is extra-ordinary and unlike any other I've heard. The results are also testament to the recent breakthrough I've had with my DAC mods, as I've told you guys.

If this CD does not sound exceptional, vivid and powerful in anyone's system, go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
OK great, Al. I am sure it will BLOW your mind. As you know, I got effectively a brand new A90 the other day, and am still awaiting the fixed XP-25 phono to hear the power supply mods I made to it while the A90 was in Denmark for repairs. There are moments I think this CD surpasses the LP in my system, at least the old A90 and "lesser" XP-25, but we'll see.

One thing's for sure, this redbook transfer is extra-ordinary and unlike any other I've heard. The results are also testament to the recent breakthrough I've had with my DAC mods, as I've told you guys.

If this CD does not sound exceptional and vivid in anyone's system, go back to the drawing board.

Yes, Redbook CD can blow your mind, when it's done well ;). I continue to be surprised just how much better the medium is that I thought just a few years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing