Tesla solar and Powerwall to power audio system?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
In my experience, micro-inverter vs. master inverter is not much of an issue, in part because the master inverter is usually many feet or yards away mounted on a side wall of your house. For example, I have a master-inverter. I have two hifis. The primary hifi directly under the solar panels is the one susceptible to the waterfall of RF noise emitted by the panels when running certain SET amps. The system that is NOT directly under the solar glass but IS CLOSER to the house-mounted wall inverter is unaffected by the power system's RFI.

Don't worry about a sidewall, house-mounted inverter. Worry about RF emitted from panels overhead. They do, in fact, emit. Especially don't worry about what you cannot get. You can get amps that will reject the RFI shower, but that may require a little trial and error.

As for transformerless inverters from the battery feed, similarly don't obsess about it. It's not like a Tesla Powerwall installation makes your system battery powered. You are still going through an inverter one way or another. to send AC to your house. In the nighttime when all is quiet and I am still powered off the Powerwalls, I can convince myself it sounds a little better, but not conclusively better than low-demand nighttime LADWP grid power. You are not going to get perfection just because you install solar and batteries. You can make sure it doesn't get worse and might be improved when you are really listening for it.

Phil
IMO it is a bigger issue than you think. I do believe that when it comes to using solar power for your sound system micro inverters have no noise.. Wall batteries are a must for anything solar. There are systems IMO as good or better than Tesla. I am all Sun Power which is 100% made in USA and have the longest warranty (25 years) as well as the best efficiency of any other manufacturer. SunPower has an efficiency of 120% of what the panel is rated

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
IMO it is a bigger issue than you think. I do believe that when it comes to using solar power for your sound system micro inverters have no noise.. Wall batteries are a must for anything solar. There are systems IMO as good or better than Tesla. I am all Sun Power which is 100% made in USA and have the longest warranty (25 years) as well as the best efficiency of any other manufacturer. SunPower has an efficiency of 120% of what the panel is rated
I have had many correspondences and f2f conversations with people who had micro-inverter installations who nevertheless had the same RF noise issues I had with a master inverter. Solar panels can emit bothersome RFI regardless what inverter type is used. Whether a given sound system component is an effective antenna for solar panel and inverter RFI is a fairly random proposition. I'm glad your combination is quiet. So is mine now with Absolare SET, some other custom tube amps I had built, and a custom tube linestage. With a wide variety of solid state amplification, there was no problem at all. It's something you have to just be aware of that might prompt a change in one or two pieces of hifi equipment.

I do believe and advocate that solar installations are definitely more effective paired with batteries, but not for hifi purposes. It makes sense -- extend the sunlit power generation into the dark hours of the evening instead of selling more excess back to the power company during the day. Plus (or maybe I should say primarily) you get power outage bridging. My hifi feed voltage regulators don't show any difference in correction wrt batteries discharging to the house (and therefore hifi) vs when the Powerwalls are charging. AC inverted from battery DC doesn't evidence a compelling SQ difference, compared to LADWP power fed through my voltage regulators and balanced power for sources & front ends.

I am not here to advocate for Tesla over Sun Power vs anything else. The Tesla/Sun Power situation was different in 2017 when I did my installation. The only thing I'll point out is that I got Panasonic (Japan) panels because I live in the San Fernando Valley part of L.A. (the hot part in summer) and their panels maintain best efficiency in very high heat conditions.

Phil

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My panels are 120% efficient and guaranteed for 25 years. There is no other mfr with those stats. FWIW Panasonic is excellent and was the number 2 choice but its efficiency and warranty is no where close. BTW it is my understanding that Panasonic makes Tesla panel

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing