Tesseract, an overview from an Avalon insider's perspective

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I wonder what ever happened to these speakers? Has anyone ever heard them?
I have heard them. Hard to pass judgement really as they were in a show. They remind me of Torquemada. Very scary looking.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Avalons are one off my favorite cones, with Zellaton and YG. But they require massive space from the walls. I wish I can get to hear the big ones like Tesseract and the ones Winston Ma had

Reactions: Alrainbow

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Is the Tesseract made of that blue stuff from the Avengers?

It was said, that the white paper of the Tesseract was specifying, that the Avalon Top Speaker should not compromise the Music Staging because of speaker reflections. The most speakers are placed to close to the corners, the side and rear wall reflections will be reflected on the speakers rear and side shape again.

So the speaker should work as a diffusor for this type of reflections, otherwise the signal becomes unprecise.

The Tesseract is built accordingly, so the Design is a technical "form follows function" one.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I wish I can get to hear the big ones like Tesseract and the ones Winston Ma had

The Winston Ma listening room always shows the Avalon Sentinel speaker, the model before Tesseract.

Sentinel and Tesseract both have an active bass section (similar to Magic M9). Rumors are saying, the the Avalon development partner for the Sentinel bass amplifier was Classe Audio.

Speaking to Sentinel owners, some of them seem to still prefer the former full passive flagship model from Avalon, the Osiris.
As the main amplifier is driving the complete speaker, the result is more coherent.
The Avalon Osiris was a kind of 450kg Monster, only the 2 level external cross over was close to 200kg each side...
The external crossover for the Sentinel was much more handy

Avalon Sentinel in Winston Ma's room (the small black triangle corpus is the external crossover):

ma6.jpg

Avalon Osiris (the 4 big black boxes behind the speakers are the external cross over) :

10847411_856624191054982_2170459348154017241_o.jpg

Alrainbow

Dec 12, 2013
NYC , USA
Avalons are one off my favorite cones, with Zellaton and YG. But they require massive space from the walls. I wish I can get to hear the big ones like Tesseract and the ones Winston Ma had

Do they beat DeVore ..?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone heard these speakers? I see they now retail for over £700K...initial comments from those who have heard is very positive...that said the price places it firmly in the WAMM, Magico M9 class. Would appreciate hearing from those who have heard it.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Has anyone heard these speakers? I see they now retail for over £700K...initial comments from those who have heard is very positive...that said the price places it firmly in the WAMM, Magico M9 class. Would appreciate hearing from those who have heard it.
Your dream Arrakis are much better...and cheaper

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Howiebrou! That was quick! How's things? On our end, I am going to wait another 2 weeks or so but will be posting again about Entreq Pluton and their Tungsten-generation line.

Any thing new with you?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks Howiebrou! That was quick! How's things? On our end, I am going to wait another 2 weeks or so but will be posting again about Entreq Pluton and their Tungsten-generation line.

Any thing new with you?
Few things I am toying with but no hard and fast decisions yet. Trying to simplify the set up mainly.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fair enough. On our side, the system appears to be headed in the right direction towards a 'fully evolved status'. We shall see. The only element which is likely to go under scrutiny before we call this system 'fully evolved' is the sub. Otherwise, it appears to have been completed in the last 2-3 years. More to come in a few weeks.

Reactions: howiebrou

sbo6

May 19, 2014
Round Rock, TX
An interesting opinion. The Arrakis tech is 15+ years old, Rockport has iterations of newer (and presumably) lower distortion drivers + better cabinet tech. And the Wilsons and Magicos are much newer tech and essentially equally huge speakers.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
An interesting opinion. The Arrakis tech is 15+ years old, Rockport has iterations of newer (and presumably) lower distortion drivers + better cabinet tech. And the Wilsons and Magicos are much newer tech and essentially equally huge speakers.
I see your point. I don't necessarily subscribe to better is new. All I can go by is having heard them on the Arrakis is 100% my preferred speaker. That might just be my preference, of course.

Reactions: sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing