That’s not autism: It’s simply a brainy, introverted boy

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yup. I recently sat on the doctoral thesis committee of a student who was assessing the perceptions of high-functioning ASD subjects with MEG and, during the discussion, most of us agreed that we fit on the extreme high-functioning end of the spectrum by the strictest standards. We were all high-achieving and unconventional kids but, fortunately, we were labelled "special" in the best sense of the term. We also agreed that this sort of labeling is dangerous.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used to be painfully shy myself. When I started to DJ to make date money, everything changed. Well, I'm still not a genius. That didn't.

There's one thing I remember in junior year of high school. My guidance counselor said I scored in the 99 percentile for abstract reasoning.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
One wonders if introverted personalities are not often confused with ASD? Since most studies are American, which laud extroverted behavior, then it could be cultural as well. The most introverted society i've ever experienced has got to be Japan. Most people you'll meet in larger cities come off as being very shy, eye contact many times is difficult at best and in social situations- especially when meeting gaijin people for the first time - can be painfully awkward. These are very intelligent and often highly educated people but they possess many of the traits that are closely tied with ASD. interestingly enough, the people I met in sparsely populated areas, ive found to be much more engaging and comfortable in their own skin.

this is interesting if not particularly scientific:
http://lonerwolf.com/most-introverted-countries-in-the-world/

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I have an autistic 10 year old Nephew. Unfortunately it looks like he will never have an independent life.

He can. I have a relative with "special needs" that is also high-functioning. He has a 'normal' job, owns his home and has never been out of work! he's generally a happy person. his roommate is autistic and an inspiration as well, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball, is a voracious reader and student of world history. I think of them both when I see a panhandler or someone out of work because what is available is beneath them.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
He can. I have a relative with "special needs" that is also high-functioning. He has a 'normal' job, owns his home and has never been out of work! he's generally a happy person. his roommate is autistic and an inspiration as well, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball, is a voracious reader and student of world history. I think of them both when I see a panhandler or someone out of work because what is available is beneath them.

My nephew's biggest issue is communication....hopefully that will change. He is pretty much aloof of what is going on around him.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have always been fascinated by and had feelings of rapture when observing extremely intelligent children demonstrating their prodigious capabilities in music, art and especially mathematics.

For many very bright people, introverted or not, the world is their oyster. For others, a life of mediocrity is much happier and more sustainable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pD_UK6vGU

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing