The ART27A - an extraordinary fine musical instrument

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Good news and better news...

The ART27A has finally arrived up in QLD. It was paired with an ET5 preamp driving Joseph Audio speakers, not very efficient and quite a load..

The ART27A took total grip on the speakers and the overall performance was absolutely stunning! According to my good mate up there who's also the main CJ importer, had invited a few Audiophile mates plus a few dealers. None of them wanted to leave, they stayed glued and fully engaged to the music for endless hours that my friend / proprietor had to force them out, by shutting down the system and closing the shop. Even for him it was extremely difficult to get away from it all!

Now he wants me to audition it with the CLX's, and has offered a very good price but certainly a pretty penny... I'm not sure if it could fully handle the CLX's though full range, I'll have to take it for a spin. There are several serious enthusiasts over here who actually think it would drive the CLX's easily and they are also very keen to come over for an audition. The only issue is the system is currently disconnected and packed away since our new house is all done up and we're in the process of moving... So auditioning amplifiers is currently my least priority.

Then again, this is no ordinary amplifier, nothing like he's ever heard before and very unassuming from the overall look. All cables and interconnects used were Nordost Odin's supreme reference series, the pricing on cabling and speaker wires alone exceeds the actual price on the ART27A...go figure!

Perhaps I'll let it run-in for a while and see how it goes once the system is fully connected. If there's anyone else who has seriously auditioned the ART27A, please do let me know your thoughts and overall experience with driving full range stats or other panels...

Cheers till then, RJ

Reactions: Folsom

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you RJ. Always love to read your thoughts on new gear.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Speaking of CJ's ART series in amplification, their ART300's just awarded power amplifier of the year! Well it's about time...

And finally got the chance to audition the wonderful ART27A.

This time round, they've truly done it! Now I understand why this thing costs over 20 grand in Aus. I think it's close to 30 grand but that's after currency conversion / exchange, customs, duties etc., so I guess somewhere there abouts. The choice of tubes being the KT88's basically was used with a primary focus on the mid-range. With the extended airy highs and smooth tuneful bass that CJ is known for, is nothing short of marvellous!

Getting the KT88's upto a certain range in Class A output, sums up the extraordinary beauty of the way this amplifier delivers it's sound. It simply brings out the best in recordings, there's no doubt. Push the KT88's further and it falls into Class AB category but that doesn't mean the music is less engaging, it's just quite different from its Class A rating, which operates at a comfortable level.

This power amp would suit most benign loads plus high efficiency speakers and will sound superb with the right fit. I'm not too sure if one amp alone would drive the CLX's full range. There will be extra strain loaded onto the output stage and would cause extra stress plus early tube failures. Unless the listening experience is soft to moderate, near field listening in a small room, that may work. However, definitely not for large speakers in smaller rooms. Perhaps if this was offered in monoblock config, rated at 70w/ch of Class A, now that would be a beautiful offer! One that would sound simply outstanding at the same time give the mighty ART300's a run for the money...

Anyway, both these very refined musical instruments are in a class of their own. It's just a matter of personal taste towards one that will drive anything and not flinch one bit under strain, and the other offering a mid-range warmth that only the KT88 can provide. Both types offer the utmost in sheer musicality so you're not missing anything there.

All the best to anyone going for the ART27A, it's a superb amplifier!
Cheers and enjoy, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Good news just posted in: The ART27A was awarded amplifier of the year by HiFi+ .

Yet another award on the top of the line Art series. I guess JF of CJ is on a mission, and it's pretty clear in which class of cosumer the new CJ line-up is heading towards...

Anyway, at least they still offer the Classic series in a few forms, ranging from 45w to 120w of classic CJ finesse. Hope they're still in production for a while. These less lofty offerings are truly special and high vfm.

Anyone with an ART27A, well done, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Big woof! RJ

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Love CJ. Three preamps over the last 20 years or so. Their key mark marketing phrase is very fitting.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thank you RJ. Always love to read your thoughts on new gear.
Hey Joe mate,

Just checking on the ART27A, did you finally decide on which one to drive your AG Duo XD's?
I know you were trying out a few other amplifiers, hope you were able to finalise on something special.

Speaking of "special" the last time I had the chance to audition the ART27A with the exact same Duo's, it was definitely very special in every way. One of those systems that are right up there! SOTA at its finest.

Cheers mate, have a good one now and most of all, enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing