The B&G Z-92 or “Why the Hi End is Doomed”

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve-No problem. I have a lot of respect for Marty based on things you have told me and reading the things that Marty has written. I look forward to his response.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
wep,

Don't get too excited. They cannot do the same SPL as "the big boys". There are both speaker size limitations compared to "the big boys" (i.e. a single Sunfire ref sub vs twin JL Gothams") as well as power limitations (I think Russ said they are being driven by a 105 wpc amp). They'll play reasonably loud before the system runs out of steam. You can probably increase the "steam" point with more watts, but you will still have transducers of limited size. I would add, I could live with them and I like to play at fairly realistic levels as well, but that doesn't mean your ears will bleed when these are maxed out. Also, let's remember its about quality as well, which was excellent for all the things that matter; bandwidth, distortion, and of course, that intangible, "musicality".

I am further intriqued with the potential of the B&G line arrays such as the R-800 based on a suberb custom system I recently heard in the Dallas area using the B&G 8 inch drivers for the HF section in line array configuration. Once again, I pulled out my trusty "Phonic" and the system was as flat as Russ' from 200 to 10K. I'm telling ya, there is something very good going on in those B&G drivers. I am really eager to hear more of the designs that are using these drivers as OEM'd parts.
Marty

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
All I can say is that the BG's are really growing on me with each successive listen, even more so than their big brothers, Wisdom M-75's, which I owned for 4 years, powered by Pass, Bryston, ARC and all Valhalla. I am blown away by how good these sound considering what is driving them, especially considering that Marty played his torture disc through a $300 Sony Blu-Ray. The only problem is that when I am watching TV or a Blu-Ray, I keep answering my phone or the door when it is actually on the soundtrack. Also, regularly I sit down to listen to a track or two and end up listening to 20!

Regarding SPL, I do not know their potential because I am running out of steam from the amp. Soon I will be adding a new Bryston 4B, which from what I have heard should really make a serious sonic improvement, because I hear my current amp's signature coming through in all playback. I will let you know about the SPL changes when I have the power to make them sing or break. BTW, they are 4 ohms so power will no longer be an issue.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I was interested in this speaker but simply can't find any ... Even contacted BG .. Any source ? PM me

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
There were two A'gon and they were gone before I called... eBay no luck .. I wouldn't mind trying them... My present Living Room won't take the Divas ... or rather the DIva won't fit in the present Living Room...

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
The Scintilla will beat the daylights out of any Diva. They both require big bucks to bring out their best. The Duetta is a nice sounding speaker that is more easily assimilated.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The Scintilla will beat the daylights out of any Diva. They both require big bucks to bring out their best. The Duetta is a nice sounding speaker that is more easily assimilated.

muralman

Heard both, preferred the Diva... YMMV. If you mean by "bick bucks" huge amount of power, true indeed.. I don't see that as an advantage truly... I do find such designs wasteful of everything to be honest although my last speaker was barely 85 dB and I love it to this day

I am getting very interested in designs with higher efficiency .. The Divas are for the interim, since they already are there although not being used because of space constraints ... My next speakers must be >90 dB/w/m and present a normal load that can be driven by any and by that I mean any amplifier I care about...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing