The B&G Z-92 or “Why the Hi End is Doomed”

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I’ve been an audiophile for 40 years. This ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve been a hobbyist (made and modified a few speakers in my time), an enthusiast (listened to many) and for a brief period of insanity during internship following medical school, I was a dealer (circa 1979, Audio Shoppe in Pasadena, CA). The point is, I’ve seen and heard a lot of things. Most of them have been disappointing. Some have been fun to hear. Few have been bargains. I’m about to share a listening report of a speaker that has re-defined, at least for me, what “good” is all about in the wonderful but wacky world of audio.

The speaker in question is the B&G Z-92. It is made by Bohlender and Graebener, or B&G for short. They’ve been around a while also. Many audiophiles will recognize them as the original provider of the drivers for the Wisdom line of loudpeakers. The Z-92 uses planar-magnetic (ribbon) drivers in a 3 way design in conjunction with twin 6.5” woofers in a nice-looking, floor-standing cabinet. The 8 inch midrange driver hands off to a 3 inch hi-freq driver and these are aligned co-axially. I won’t provide any more details on the speaker since information on these is plentiful, as are some pre-existing reviews.

http://www.bgcorp.com/PDFs/Z-92-literature.pdf
http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/fr/BGZ-92.htm
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home...lanar-ribbon-speakers-and-210i-subwoofer.html

Of interest, B&G will OEM their ribbon drivers to others, and details on both the 8 and 3 inch ribbons can be found here:

http://www.radiapro.net/uploads/RadiaProNEO8.pdf
http://www.radiapro.net/uploads/NEO3WhitePaper.pdf

And now for the good part. Folks, these speakers aren’t just good, they are mind-boggling good. But I must add an important qualifier. I have never heard the speakers by themselves. Rather, I heard them in a system that also contained a 12 inch Sunfire subwoofer. The speakers were run full range, and the sub is added to supplement the low end using a cut off I believe of about 45 Hz. In fact, I would never buy these speakers without a subwoofer as I don’t typically consider listening to something that is not full range to be rewarding sonically. But taken together, the system I heard is a world-beater. What is ridiculous is that the speakers were recently discontinued and were obtainable for about $500 each on Audiogon (they retailed for $1250). Coupled with a Sunfire sub or equivalent, I do not exaggerate when I say these speakers can do anything and everything that my big rig does (Pipedreams plus Gotham subs), albeit somewhat less impressively in terms of sheer SPL, soundstage size and refinement. But the key to their astounding sound is really very basic. They are, plain and simple, just musically right. I mean spot-on, drop dead musically right. There isn’t a bad or unmusical sound coming from these things. Sinatra’s baritone?- an acid test of male vocals- spot-on. Reference Recordings brass in the Sousa marches?- fantastic -no floor woofer suck out in the 150-200Hz region in these babies. Strings? Damn these pricks. Nobody should get strings to sound this good for so little money. And you can bet your ass they don’t have $1000 capacitors in them. Soundstage? Wonderful, whether it was symphonic or the King’s singers. Lest you think this was all in some spectacular room- fuggetabout it. It was a very modest room with a brick wall at one end a lot of glass on the side wall and no special treatments of any kind. It made me sick. Nobody should be able to get sound this good by paying so little attention to the room. And I’m not talking about ancillary equipment that was anything to write home about. I’m talking about a modest B&K amp that is 8 years old, a used BAT preamp and an El-Cheapo Sony Blue-Ray player. Interconnects were Nordost Quatra-Fils that were the stars of yesteryear, and some speaker cables that I never heard of. But the sound was just wonderful, ravishing even. I brought my 3 demo CDs that I use to slay equipment everywhere and anywhere I go. Just ask my buddies with the expensive stuff. But I was floored here. I couldn’t find a single cut on any of my discs that didn’t sound, at the very minimum, good. And I don’t mean 500 dollar qualified good. I mean good. In fact, very good.

Are you a measurements guy? Well, just for fun I pulled out my Phonic meter and ran pink noise from the Stereophile test CD. I could not believe my eyes. At the listening chair they were flat from 200Hz to 10K with a gentle roll-off thereafter. I don't mean flat as in Cate Blanchett-Gwenyth Paltrow-Twiggy flat. I mean ruler flat. Flatter than any system I have ever measured, including my own or Steve and Brian's Alexandria systems. And these are 3 megabuck systems in great megabuck rooms. (My friend's Z92's are in a shit hole by comparison). From 200 and below they have that beautiful "B&K" gentle elevation (discussed elsewhere in this forum) peaking at 40-80Hz (the Jason Bloom/Apogee bump) with good response down to 20Hz thanks to the Sunfire sub. In other words, it was textbook, absolutely textbook. If you were judging by measurements, you'd have to give it a A+. It was simply the best I've ever seen. And it made me apoplectic. Did I mention we're talkin' 500 dollar loudspeakers here?

But that’s exactly the point. And the big take away. I heard a system that for unbelievably little money by high end standards could play anything and everything with such aplomb that I was truly impressed. And it was backed-up by very solid measured performance data, in case that stuff is important to you. More importantly, at least to me, it wasn’t a matter of being able to hear and being able to localize every fart from the second clarinet or third trumpet in the orchestra. It was throwing the system every type of music imaginable and having it all come back with such enjoyment that the system became irrelevant. It was just damned good music and darned good sound. It was emotionally moving and it was a pleasure to listen to. It was the realization of what we all strive for with the 6 figure stuff, and here it was for a fraction of that. I was genuinely blown away. Nothing should sound that good for so little money, right? Wrong. And the very heart of the reason why that system sounded so good is the Z-92 speaker. If there is a better bargain in all of audio, I don’t know about it. It’s not that it was a good value. It was good period. But again, I reemphasize, the sub is a must. Without it, I’m sure I would have been non-plussed. But taken together, it has become a clear as a bell to me that the “high end”, as we know it is doomed. If it's possible to get performance this good from a loudspeaker this cheap, and if the loudspeaker is the most important variable to getting good sound in a home system as many profess (and to which I agree), then its clear that $100,000 loudspeakers and their ilk will die a death driven by the same laws of natural selection that allow for only the most successful of all species to survive. There will of course, always be museums and folks for whom discretionary spending and human nature permits such conspicuous consumption. Are we there yet? Not quite. But the Z-92, more than any other audio product I have ever heard, has signaled for me that we are well on our way.

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Thanks Marty for your insights and comments. I want to go on record to set Marty's comments in perspective. When I owned Wisdom M-75 References (special hand picked modified BG 72 inch drivers for $47k), ARC Ref equipment, Pass 600's, Bryston 4b's for the woofs, Valhalla throughout and had a custom designed/dedicated room that I will write about some day, not to mention 10's of thousands of dollars of other stuff like power conditioners and electrical dedicated upgrades, Marty never gave the same accolades that he gave my el cheapo BG etc system, despite endless hours we both spent optimizing my former system. BTW I spent about 15 minutes setting up the BG system on 2-3 occasions in a very sub-optimal space.

How could this be?

I think the answer is quite simple and actually fairly important. I believe that what makes this speaker special are the two ribbon drivers, which can be purchased raw from GR Research for $43 for the BG Neo 3 tweet and $79 for BG Neo 10 Mid. As a veteran of 72 inch BG tweaked drivers in my Wisdoms and far better electronics, cables, environment and 1000's of hours of tweeking, I agree with Marty that this cheapo speaker gets the voices and spatial cues more realistically than their $47k brethren with their $100+K support team and $100K environment. I believe that they got it more right because in this case smaller is better. Each driver is physically much smaller, greatly reducing IM. Also each driver deals with a smaller bandwidth and thus can be more specifically engineered. Add to that some plain old physics and a coaxial wave guide and you have a damn good transducing team, that sounds good in the sweet spot, plus sounds great on the deck after the sound has leaked out of some windows and sliders and is competing with the sound of waves hitting my bulkhead. Ironically, according to BG, the real trick was getting the midbass drivers to equal the speed of the ribbons so that there would not be an auditory dissociation. For my money, they pulled that off too, and happen to make the cone drivers also, probably for about $30 a piece. They also surrendered the lower octave so that the cabinet would be small and the drivers sufficiently fast. I agree you need a sub, but one 10 year old Sunfire Pro is good enough. Do not even want to think about a JL (OMG)! BTW, the interconnect to the woof was an old pro video component cable with bnc connectors and bnc to rca adapters that I had lying around.

I thought about upgrading the crossover components as I have done many times with other systems, but I kept getting sidetracked by the sound and just ended up listening to music. Now for the parts that Marty did not tell you.

The BK amp is 20 years old and cost $300 when new and produces a mighty 105 w/ch into 8 and who knows how many watts in the 4 ohm Z 92's. The BAT is a VK 30SE with 6H30's that I have not retubed since I bought it on A'gon for $2k and it has a built in BAT phono card. The cables are a combination of Nordost Quatro Fils that I considered too inferior for my Valhalla only pre-divorce system and 30 year old Vampire Wire IC's that I bought for about $50 a meter in the early 80's at CES. The speaker wire is Kimber 8T that I bought on A'gon for $250. The nothing special Sony Blu-ray is truly a Costco special for about $220 a year ago, so the current equivalent is probably better.

While Marty's demo discs and the Fairfield Four sounded great, what really blew me and I think Marty away, was the Blu-Ray audio. No question, the deck handles Blu-Ray audio better than Red Book. We watched a Blu-Ray of Nine, which if you have not seen it is a must, especially the Fergie and Kate Hudson sequences, and we both sat transfixed because their voices were so distinct, life-like and believable. But what amazed me was the quality and speed of the percussion tones on the DVD. They were so sharp, crisp and accurate, that you could not help but believe. Granted the Pioneer Elite Pro Plasma did not hurt with the visual cues, of course fed with a $20 HDMI cable. Probably an Oppo and better cables plus some new 6h30's would be better, but we were too busy enjoying ourselves too care.

If this and Marty's comments have gotten your attention and you want to try an experiment like I did, go to http://hifidelitystore.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=29&page=1 and check out the z-92's while they still are around, or wait till BG comes out with the an improved version of the speaker which will probably cost a whooping $1500 a piece, about the same as the cost of the hospital sockets I had in my special room. If you want bigger and more expensive, look at the BG 520i's, but I bet the smaller Z 92's will be more accurate. If this sounds too good to be true and you are in NJ, stop by. The worst that will happen is you will be treated to some great waterside bbq.

So while I still have some "purchasitis residua" from the old days, I am blown away what a few audio bucks can do. Oh BTW, Marty and I spent much more time talking to each other than we ever did in my megabuck, megasystem room!

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Sinatra’s baritone?- an acid test of male vocals- spot-on. Reference Recordings brass in the Sousa marches...............symphonic or the King’s singers. ....................I brought my 3 demo CDs that I use to slay equipment everywhere and anywhere I go.

Nice write up, I have a difficult time summarizing and end up doing a blow by blow commentary song by song, or at least CD by CD.

What are your three test CD's?

I also have found Sinatra's vocals to be useful in an evaluation.

Link to tube review:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?27-Tube-Review-Tung-Sol-EL34
CD-6:
Frank Sinatra/ The Reprise Collection, Disc 3, 1st track, the song is “Got You Under My Skin”

I've bookmarked a few websites featuring Teonex the material used in the B&G planar-magnetic drivers. I think I will be using this in lieu of 150 gauge HS Mylar-biaxially oriented film for my full scale ripple speaker experiment in the future. It's a long way off, but I'm open to suggestions.

Link to experiment in progress:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?522-The-Point-Source-Principle-Ripple-One-Experiment

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Great review.

Your accurate quote of "There will of course, always be museums and folks for whom discretionary spending and human nature permits such conspicuous consumption" will keep expensive audio jewelry (that may or may not be high end) around for a very long time.

How did you happen to hear/find these audio jewels?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I was , to use an audiophile cliche, "blown away" by this post. It summarized with clarity the state of our industry and something some have been writing about in this very forum: The price of High End gear is artificially high with no performance to back these up in several instances.

I thank you , Marty , one of the best posts I have read since I have been frequenting Audio Forums. The only way to qualify this post: Excellent!

Frantz

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Marty's test CD's are compilations that he has burned using music that have become standards during the past 30 years for evaluating certain aspects of a system's performance and for taking to CES and stores to quickly check relative accuracy of auditioned systems. BTW, they are also wonderful sources of general listening music.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I had a pair of BG R 18s for surround for many years and set a friend up with a pair of their floorstanders -- all were excellent. They've been doing ribbons about as long as anyone. Their ribbons matched up very well to those used in my VMPS mains -- another brand that uses ribbons to great effect. Partly because of the drivers both brands at are the peak of the value curve.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am fortunate to have my 3 disks from Marty.

Does this mean I should bring my laptop for a quick rip when I visit in November Steve?

That cool with you Marty? :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Marty-How loud will these speakers play and what size room are they good with?

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Marty!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Marty-How loud will these speakers play and what size room are they good with?

Mark

Mark

Marty logs on infrequently but he is a very good friend and I have heard his system several times. IMHO his system is the one by which all others need to be compared as it is that close to TAS.

His room is slightly larger than mine in all 3 dimensions so I would guess at 36L x 22W x 10 H

I can say that with his Sigfried's those speakers can play to ear bleeding SPL.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Steve-Marty didn't hear the speakers in his room. So, my question is what kind of SPLs can these things put out.

Marty-You have me sort of excited. You are talking these speakers up big time but yet you say they are still not there with the big dogs in a few areas. Here is your quote:" I do not exaggerate when I say these speakers can do anything and everything that my big rig does (Pipedreams plus Gotham subs), albeit somewhat less impressively in terms of sheer SPL, soundstage size and refinement." So, how much soundstage size do you lose and what degree of refinement? And again, the SPL thing. How loud do these play before they fall apart? I like to listen to realistic live levels and that is always what separates the men from the boys. Bad gear always falls apart when the sound goes up. There is one pair on Audiogon right now but they want $1500. There is a place on the web I found that is selling them new for $995 each. If they would truly blow away my Definitive Technology BP7000SC speakers ($5500 per pair) I would be on them like a junkyard dog. I do think my speakers are somewhat of a steal as they are truly full range with built in 14" subs with 1800 watt amps driving each one and more importantly, I think they sound great. Do you think these speakers would be a good match with my Jadis Defy 7 MKII?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing