The backside - Organizing cables and cords

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Just wondering what folks are doing to minimize the chaos on the back side of your systems. I started by labeling everything that has an electrical plug.

I just dread facing that wire jungle behind my systems and struggling to sort it out before I start trying to debug a problem or add in a new piece of gear. I don’t know how many times I’ve gone on a hunt for labels only to get stalled for one reason or another. This time I think I found a pretty good solution for labeling. I labeled every cord that plugs into electricity and I really like the results.

I found these on Amazon and they looked promising. They looked much more promising when I decided to secure them on the cords with zip ties.

4902CB7D-DA31-4E5B-87BE-973BBA333A13.jpeg

After I wrote the name of the gear on the label I threaded a 4” cable tie through the key ring and tightened it on the cord just enough to keep the label from slipping up and down the cord. I love the results.

I have three audio systems and one audio/ video system and I used 30 labels out of the package of 40 leaving just 10 Labels for something else. I decided to use them on the backside of the computer which will add instant clarity to all those USB cables. But especially the many external hard drives will benefit from being labeled. Can hardly wait to do this!

But that still leaves a jumble of power cords, speaker cables, Ethernet cables, HDMI cables, and interconnects lying in a jumble on the floor. I’d love to hear what others do to sort out this problem. I’m told to keep power cords separate from data cables though I don’t see how that’s possible. I’m also told not to coil up power cords which is a shame because there is usually a lot of extra length.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think having a wide rack or floor space is helpful. I have a single width rack and all of the cables want to be on top of or lay on each other. I use wine corks as spacers for some power cables.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I have a wide rack and this spreads out the wires and the mess but then the wires travel in different directions and that makes it hard to sort out. I have 12 separate electrical cords to plug in behind my living room system. This photo just shows one-third of the wire jungle. It makes me nervous that so many lie on top the heat register. I definitely need to do something about that.

0DD6C0D0-3259-4D5C-8949-5A725E70177E.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing