The Banshees of Inisherin

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This film is garnering great accolades by the reviewers and has been nominated for virtually every award. How could a film be bad with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason who were both in the film In Bruges many years ago. I can say that the acting is superb and the cinematography was beautiful The story was interesting But the parts in the film of self mutilation was for me and my wife so over the top that it quickly fell from our anticipation of a great film to one where for us it just totally ruined the entire movie. Cutting off fingers and throwing the severed digits at people and their front doors just didn't do it for us as a film. I am betting it will win many awards but my wife and I could not come to grips with the self mutilation.

Set on a remote island off the west coast of Ireland, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN follows lifelong friends Pádraic (Colin Farrell) and Colm (Brendan Gleeson), who find themselves at an impasse when Colm unexpectedly puts an end to their friendship. A stunned Pádraic, aided by his sister Siobhán (Kerry Condon) and troubled young islander Dominic (Barry Keoghan), endeavours to repair the relationship, refusing to take no for an answer. But Pádraic's repeated efforts only strengthen his former friend’s resolve and when Colm delivers a desperate ultimatum, events swiftly escalate, with shocking consequences. Cast: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon, Barry Keoghan

Im sure there are many here who willl disagree and state it to be the best film this year. So many things were great about the film. It was the recurring theme of self mutilation that turned me and my wife off. The ending can be interpreted in many ways but it isn't a film I would ever watch twice in spite of so many good things about the film

Last edited:
Reactions: musicfirst1

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Haven't seen it yet. Hope the cinematography does Inisherin justice. I live nearby and Aran islands are our backyard. If anyone is ever visiting this part of Ireland then the whole County Clare coastline is stunning and you get views of the Aran islands from Cliffs Of Moher.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

I hated it.
Coming from you I understand as we like the same things. To call it the best movie of the year IMO is utter BS. It was a slow simple told story interspersed with one if them cutting off his fingers and throwing them at his old friend and at his friends houseI found the only good things were the acting of all the characters and the cinematography. I told my wife aft saw it that there are some movies which never should have been made.IMO this was one of them

I would never watch this film again. In Bruges with the same two actors was a fabulous film

Steve Williams

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Haven't seen it yet. Hope the cinematography does Inisherin justice. I live nearby and Aran islands are our backyard. If anyone is ever visiting this part of Ireland then the whole County Clare coastline is stunning and you get views of the Aran islands from Cliffs Of Moher.
You'll love the cinematography. The story OTOH is pure crap

Reactions: ashandger

Steve Williams

The Fabelmans and Elvis were my two favorites so far.
Fabelmans could easily win best picture

Best Actor for me was Austin Butler who I think will win a Golden Globe but not the Oscar. Brendan Fraser in The Whale was the best acting I’ve seen in years.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Watched it today and thought v good film - the theme about one's mortality and legacy is an interesting one and something I can relate to. The mutilation gives the film a real punch although feels a bit extreme.
Having been to that part of Ireland many years' ago, the cinematography does it justice!

Reactions: musicfirst1

Steve Williams

The mutilation gives the film a real punch

I guess that’s where you and I differ. IMO it added nothing to the picture and totally turned me off. Lots of awards yes but I just can’t see it as Best Picture . As I said before everything in it was good except the story. Just IMO of course

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah yes what a magical part of Eire-I worked for 3 years in the Republic and share your platitudes for the West coast--I spent some wonderful times driving the coast Counties -Galway Oyster festival/ Rose of Tralee /etc and taking numerous Photographs for memories not forgotten:).
I was a photographer working in the Industry in Dublin at the time(60's) I did the B+W still shots for Spy Who came in From the Cold( Burton , Ritt) also Ballard in Blue( RayCharles / Henried /Addams) and Girl with the Green Eyes(Tushingham/Finch).

So the splendour of the Irish vistas I'm well in awe of even today:D

I haven't seen the Banshees movie but David Lean's Cinematographer Freddie Young in Ryan's Daughter (won the Oscar 1970) showed the land/sea scapes of the Area in a thoroughly memorable way.

--recommended viewing--( Mitchum Mills and Miles)

sláinte

BruceD

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Drats - I was hoping this was a new series of Banshee :p

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
This film is garnering great accolades by the reviewers and has been nominated for virtually every award. How could a film be bad with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason who were both in the film In Bruges many years ago. I can say that the acting is superb and the cinematography was beautiful The story was interesting But the parts in the film of self mutilation was for me and my wife so over the top that it quickly fell from our anticipation of a great film to one where for us it just totally ruined the entire movie. Cutting off fingers and throwing the severed digits at people and their front doors just didn't do it for us as a film. I am betting it will win many awards but my wife and I could not come to grips with the self mutilation.

Set on a remote island off the west coast of Ireland, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN follows lifelong friends Pádraic (Colin Farrell) and Colm (Brendan Gleeson), who find themselves at an impasse when Colm unexpectedly puts an end to their friendship. A stunned Pádraic, aided by his sister Siobhán (Kerry Condon) and troubled young islander Dominic (Barry Keoghan), endeavours to repair the relationship, refusing to take no for an answer. But Pádraic's repeated efforts only strengthen his former friend’s resolve and when Colm delivers a desperate ultimatum, events swiftly escalate, with shocking consequences. Cast: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon, Barry Keoghan

Im sure there are many here who willl disagree and state it to be the best film this year. So many things were great about the film. It was the recurring theme of self mutilation that turned me and my wife off. The ending can be interpreted in many ways but it isn't a film I would ever watch twice in spite of so many good things about the film

We watched it. I agree with your assessment—just couldn’t get past the self-mutilation.

Reactions: Steve Williams

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
The Fabelmans and Elvis were my two favorites so far.
Fabelmans could easily win best picture

Best Actor for me was Austin Butler who I think will win a Golden Globe but not the Oscar. Brendan Fraser in The Whale was the best acting I’ve seen in years.
Agree on both counts. Just watched the Fabelmans and loved it!

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca

FGM!! (Fricken Great Movie)

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Since a primary theme of the movie was the allegory related to the Irish Civil War as applied to individuals, I'm not sure what other than self-mutilation would have risen to the degree of impact that a Civil War has on humans. I thought the movie was very clever myself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing