The best plug in filter ever!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
screenshot-v2.stereotimes.com-2022.12.09-14_04_10.png

After reading rave review of Puron AC plug in filter, I had got one 10 days ago.

For your information my system is very complicated with bi amping and three Farad linear supplies.

Thus I have 14 power cables, one main power conditioners, three isolation transformers.

I had tried plug in fliters from quiet lines, quartet stecker, IFI, furutech, Nordost Qv2 and QX2 fliters.

I still have all of them in my system without selling any of them.

I am collector. ;)

All of them had brought slight improvement but not drastic change.

But as soon as I inserted Puron Ac filter, it made background black with more details and clear bass.

The stereotimes review is spot on.

Encouraged by the result, I had ordered two more of them so that I can insert more of them close to amps and Dac.

Now my system got transformed with more vivid and clear sound stage but not overetched.

This is the best 750$ that I had spent during last 5 years in my audio system.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Since I do not want to unplug those filters, I upload the video without Puron taken two weeks ago.

It sound fine.

This video was taken today. Her voice sounds fuller and rounder with more body and relaxment.

Reactions: Willgolf

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I can also try to review various plug in filters myself.

But it will be dependent on system and personal taste.

To me Puron may be the best ever but not all the people may agree.

But it is likely that more than half people will get pleasant surprise after trying Puron in their system.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I think I'm gonna try a couple.
Question: Are they better used at the wall or into the power conditioner? Audioquest Niagara 7000.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I think I'm gonna try a couple.
Question: Are they better used at the wall or into the power conditioner? Audioquest Niagara 7000.
you can try both ways to find out yourself.

I have one before power condditioner and two in distributor after power conditioner.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
This is THE thing that frustrates me....

I hear of these things. You buy one? Wow! (Reviews)

Then you need three. Or more.

Either they work or they don't. I get why they work but the end result as to what hit's my ears is THE only thing that matters. I don't mind spending the money but come on.

Just HOW much of a difference do they make? I hear of them plugged into Power conditioners that "supposedly" do the same exact thing.I hear of them on the same circuit. I hear of multiples of the same unit making the same difference on many available outlets within the circuit.

Be truthful.

Do they do what they say they do or are they BS? Are they the last 10% of noise reduction without sound compromise or not? Do they seriously lower the noise floor without detrimental deficiencies to the imaging/sound stage?

Tom

Reactions: paolo and FDPDK

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
This is THE thing that frustrates me....

I hear of these things. You buy one? Wow! (Reviews)

Then you need three. Or more.

Either they work or they don't. I get why they work but the end result as to what hit's my ears is THE only thing that matters. I don't mind spending the money but come on.

Just HOW much of a difference do they make? I hear of them plugged into Power conditioners that "supposedly" do the same exact thing.I hear of them on the same circuit. I hear of multiples of the same unit making the same difference on many available outlets within the circuit.

Be truthful.

Do they do what they say they do or are they BS? Are they the last 10% of noise reduction without sound compromise or not? Do they seriously lower the noise floor without detrimental deficiencies to the imaging/sound stage?

Tom
I had tried more than 10 kinds of plug in filters during last 22 years.

Quiet lines is the first one to try.

But Furon brought the most impact.

Thus I got two more and be happy.

But please be advised that all tweaks are dependernt on system and personal taste.

So it may not work in your system.

Thus you may not want to waste your time. ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Did they (any of them) have any impact on depth, the sound stage, height, timbre, tonality or the like?

Tom

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
@thomask , thank you for taking the trouble to post the second identical track with the Puron filters in place as requested … However as valid as these remote audio demonstrations can be, yours as posted above cannot be validated for the following reasons.

The recordings are taken on disparate days and time of day.

We have no clue as to how long your system has been running at the time of each recording, (more so yours being a tube system)

And most crucially … How are we to be assured that both tracks were recorded at Identicle attenuation given the length of time between recordings.

It is my understanding from the review that the filters can be literally Hot plugged in and out of the system whilst continually powered on.

I have listened to your two disparate recordings , and yes I can discern a change in presentation between the two which is intreguing.

However for the reasons I have written, imho , a more valid audio video demonstration of the efficacy of the filters needs to address the points raised and to be conducted in real time A Vs B, ideally with the same track left at identical attenuation , filters IN record , re que the track filters OUT record , track re qued filters back IN record.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
@thomask , thank you for taking the trouble to post the second identical track with the Puron filters in place as requested … However as valid as these remote audio demonstrations can be, yours as posted above cannot be validated for the following reasons.

The recordings are taken on disparate days and time of day.

We have no clue as to how long your system has been running at the time of each recording, (more so yours being a tube system)

And most crucially … How are we to be assured that both tracks were recorded at Identicle attenuation given the length of time between recordings.

It is my understanding from the review that the filters can be literally Hot plugged in and out of the system whilst continually powered on.

I have listened to your two disparate recordings , and yes I can discern a change in presentation between the two which is intreguing.

However for the reasons I have written, imho , a more valid audio video demonstration of the efficacy of the filters needs to address the points raised and to be conducted in real time A Vs B, ideally with the same track left at identical attenuation , filters IN record , re que the track filters OUT record , track re qued filters back IN record.
The reason that I had not done real time test is that Puron filter also need time to settle for full effect.

Anyway, Youtube video can give only glimpse of what is going on but not full effect.

Another thing is that all tweaks are dependernt on system and personal taste..

Thus unless you try it in your system, you never know.

For reference I had tried plug in filters for more than 22 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarquineous

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
@thomask I agree, demonstrating such nuanced effects on a component change or addition is difficult at best via recordings of the event.
I am pleased to read of your contentment with these filters :)

Reactions: thomask

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Just received them. I was wondering if they require some break in time?
Also, is there any know interaction with other devices like the High Fidelity MC-5 iterations?

ozzy

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Just received them. I was wondering if they require some break in time?
Also, is there any know interaction with other devices like the High Fidelity MC-5 iterations?

ozzy
No break in required..

But overall sound tend to settle after one day or so.

I mix and match with other plug in filters but no HFC Mc5 experience.

Have fun!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

nasaman

406 posts
12-13-2022 at 02:09pm
Wow,
so my Puron just came in this morning. I was skeptical yet very excited.
First, I plugged it in elsewhere the house to warm in up while I’m pre-listening over my selected songs before the fun.
When plug in, there is a very small blue LED lighted up at the very top of the cylinder which I though it was cool. It took about 10 min to start hearing something "difference" and about 15 min later, the magic starting to appear. Now, after 2 hours, it plays beautifully.
This Puron lowers white noise greatly which helps improve soundstage and imaging a lot. It is quieter. Bass is even more defined and tuneful.... giving the impression similar to HFC Q45T liquid enhancer but a bit less authority and organic.
Since I have 5 HFC MC-5s and 2 MC-1s AC filters, how’d this Puron interact with the magnets was crossing my mind too but Mark reassured that i’d be ok.
In fact, I plugged this Puron in my power conditioner Puritan PSM-156 next to series of HFC magnets and it sings flawlessly without problems.
Physically comparing between the 2, Puron and MC-05??? the metal prongs on Puron isn’t as high quality but it grips VERY snugly and tightly. Its casing is lighter but VERY strong and I actually like that more. MC-05s built like a bullet proof but their heavy weighted can sometimes pull itself down and away from the AC outlet especially the MC-1s.
System still playing and I will be back for more critical listening late tonight...
So far, I’m giving this Puron a thump up.

One person gave his impression today.

Reactions: tarquineous

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing