The best sound I have heard was found at Jacob Heilbrunn's house.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was finally able to go to Jacob Heilbrunn's house and hear his sound system. It was breathtaking and even surpassed the WAMM installation at Dave Wilson's house.

As the photo will show, he had some exquisite gear, most notably an Air Force Zero with Graham and SAT tonearms and DS audio optical cartridge. Preamp and amp were Dartzeel which really impressed me. There was clearly something magical in the pairing of Wilson Audio WAMMs and the Dartzeel mono blocks. They are also the prettiest amplifiers I have seen. Digital which did not sound digital was the full Vivaldi stack.

Describing this fully in words is difficult but I think of two words, lifelike and effortless. Music just flowed so smoothly and naturally. Soundstage was deep and wide. You just could not locate where the speakers were if you closed your eyes.

A truly religious experience for me. It's valuable to hear how realistic the latest reference gear can be. Spooky good in many areas!

Perhaps even better was having a few hours to talk to Jacob. He is a very interesting and intelligent person. I am very glad we have him writing for The Absolute Sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 182,623

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Digital which did not sound digital was the full Vivaldi stack. (...)

This was also my reaction when I listened to the dCS Vivaldi stack played through the WAMM's. How did these speakers make digital sound so real and free from the recording/playback process?

Was Jacob using the Transparent Audio cables?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What is the multi tier stack of black components to the R (as we look at it) of the AFO?

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
What is the multi tier stack of black components to the R (as we look at it) of the AFO?
The DS Audio reference phono stage and power supply then three power supply boxes for the Air Force Zero.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
This was also my reaction when I listened to the dCS Vivaldi stack played through the WAMM's. How did these speakers make digital sound so real and free from the recording/playback process?

Yes, Magnum Opus I believe.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

It would be interested in an A/B of the Wadax against the Vivaldi in Jacob's system. The Wadax sounded very good this weekend too but the system here is far more resolving and advanced.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Preamp and amp were Dartzeel which really impressed me. There was clearly something magical in the pairing of Wilson Audio WAMMs and the Dartzeel mono blocks. They are also the prettiest amplifiers I have seen.

Describing this fully in words is difficult but I think of two words, lifelike and effortless. Music just flowed so smoothly and naturally. Soundstage was deep and wide. You just could not locate where the speakers were if you closed your eyes.

A truly religious experience for me. It's valuable to hear how realistic the latest reference gear can be. Spooky good in many areas.
darTZeel.

imagine that? :cool:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It would be interested in an A/B of the Wadax against the Vivaldi in Jacob's system. The Wadax sounded very good this weekend too but the system here is far more resolving and advanced.

Yes, this would be a very interesting listening comparison. David Wilson used the Vivaldi in the WAMM development, perhaps meanwhile we can assume that the speakers are tuned for dCS! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
darTZeel.

imagine that? :cool:

The DarTZeel's were missing in his CV. He already had hosted the top VTL , D'Agostino and CH Precision in his room, time for the Dart's! I think that his regular amplifier is still the Ypsilon Hyperion.

Looking to read his review.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Lee,

Thank you very much for that photo and for telling us about your visit to Jacob!

Which cartridge/tonearm combinations did you hear? Other than the DS Audio cartridge what other cartridge does Jacob have on which other tonearm?

What amplifiers is Jacob using to drive the Master Subsonics?

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The DarTZeel's were missing in his CV. He already had hosted the top VTL , D'Agostino and CH Precision in his room, time for the Dart's! I think that his regular amplifier is still the Ypsilon Hyperion.

maybe not.... ;)....as far as his regular amps being the Ypsilon. agree about looking forward to the darTZeel review.

i've spoken to Jacob a few times recently.

the Ypsilon's have moved on; residing with new owners.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Not any longer. He loves the Dartzeel now.

Reactions: RSFN and jtinn

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Dear Lee,

Thank you very much for that photo and for telling us about your visit to Jacob!

Which cartridge/tonearm combinations did you hear? Other than the DS Audio cartridge what other cartridge does Jacob have on which other tonearm?

What amplifiers is Jacob using to drive the Master Subsonics?
The PS Audio Stellar M1200 amps drive the sub towers.

The DS was on the SAT arm. I forget what cart was on the Graham. Both sounded excellent.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not any longer. He loves the Dartzeel now.
Interesting...any word on how he compares the Dartzeel with his outgoing Ypsilon references? I have heard the Ypsilon SET 100 Ref monos years ago, so at least I have 'some' idea of his original reference.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
maybe not.... ;)....as far as his regular amps being the Ypsilon. agree about looking forward to the darTZeel review.

i've spoken to Jacob a few times recently.

the Ypsilon's have moved on; residing with new owners.
Did Jacob share anything about how the Dartzeel compares with his prior references? I have heard the Ypsilon SET 100 ref Monos (his outgoing reference), so I have a little idea about what he was hearing with those.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Did Jacob share anything about how the Dartzeel compares with his prior references? I have heard the Ypsilon SET 100 ref Monos (his outgoing reference), so I have a little idea about what he was hearing with those.
I think he likes the sweetness of the Dartzeels. I got the impression he likes them better than anything else.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think he likes the sweetness of the Dartzeels. I got the impression he likes them better than anything else.
I could see that. I have never heard the mighty Dartzeel 458 or 468s, but I spent several days with the 108 in a system I knew well and have spent a little time with the Ypsilon SET 100s.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I’ve known about this for awhile, but was asked not to share. Lee (Absolute Sound publisher) has mentioned it so I can comment that Jacob did move to the darTZeel.

as far as his sharing his impressions we wait for the review. He did still own the Ypsilon’s when he first got the dart’s to listen to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing