The Big C- Season One-Showtime

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IMO some of the best programming is seen on cable TV rather than network TV. This year is no exception with Showtime producing The Big C. Laura Linney who is also an executive producer also plays the lead role, a married suburban housewife and school teacher recently diagnosed with incurable stage 4 metastaic melanoma. Her husband played by Oliver Platt finds his marriage to her difficult and many episodes pass before she can tell him she has cancer and this comes after her husband finds her engaging in a sexual tryst with a painter from the school at which she teaches. She has all the usual problems raising her teen aged son. An ongoing role is played by Gabourney Sidibe who played Precious and was nominated last year for Best Actress.

This show has comedy, drama, pathos and everything good to watch as the plot evolves. The show is seen Monday evenings on Showtime but can be seen as repeat many times through the week as well as on On Demand and is only 1/2 hour each episode.

IMO This is amongst the best shows of the season and should not be missed

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
My wife and I are engrossed every week Steve. Couldn't agree more with your comments, but I'd add that her homeless brother is also an excellent character. Laura Linney is one of the most underated actresses we have.

Steve Williams

I actually had her brother included in my first attempt but that disappeared from my iPad before I could post. That show is a must watch for husband and wife together.

IMO all of the characters and the actors who portray them are done to perfection. Actually I take that back. IMO the only miscast character is her young oncologist.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
My wife and I have also not missed an episode, your description in the original post IMO is spot on Steve, a very well done show. Marlene is also a well cast character on the show and one of my favorites.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Wow neither one of us here saw that one coming with Marlene, and Steve I am seeing your point about the oncologist role the only one that is not cast right.

Steve Williams

Over the years I find that there are always shows which catch my attention such as Deadwood, Rome, The Tudors, Entourage, Curb Your Enthousiasm etc but this one, The Big "C" IMO is hands down the best show on TV and each episode comes in at 28 minutes. Anyone who follows the show and saw the last episode will not only find it full of humor and drama but so also pathos and sorrow. This last episode will wrench every bit of emotion out of the viewer as well as a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye.

Anyone not watching this show is truly missing out

Watch for a lot of Emmy nominations and awards.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I haven't had the chance to see it yet, so thanks for not posting any spoilers. It's waiting for the wife and I on the DVR at home, just need to find the time to watch!

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Steve I whole heartedly agree about this being the best tv show of the year. I watch very very little on tv outside sports and cooking shows, I just don't find very much worth watching, the quality of programing overall is dismal to be nice about it. As far as the Big-C goes though I will continue to watch every episode, I can't wait for the next season to begin already, and for what its worth I think this show may be the best ever done on tv, not just the best this year IMO of course.

Dan

Steve Williams

Season Two Starts June 27th

UPDATE

Season Two of The Big C resumes Monday June 27th at 10:30 PM

Not to be missed. IMO this was one of the top 3 cable series last year. This is just one of those shows that you look forward to watching and never want it to end

Highly recommended

Steve Williams

Season Two of this amazing series ended this week and all I can say if you haven't seen it yet and are a follower of this series, the ending comes out of nowhere and leaves the viewers with an absolute lump in their throats. The writers of this series are at the top of their game. This series has it all, comedy, drama, pathos and remarkable acting.

My wife still can't stop shaking her head and talking about the ending of Season 2

I was surprised Laura Linney didn't win the Emmee for Best Actress in her category but she did last year in Season 1

Dexter Season 6 opens next week. Stay tuned

Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing