The Blues Music thread | Strictly Blues ?

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I saw that and will have to monitor the situation, starting a new job and all. Robert Cray never disappoints!
Wouldn't it be awesome to have Popa Chubby do Sweat and the SRV do Tin Pan Alley followed by Jimi doing Born Under A Bad Sign! One of my fantasy sets.

Gotta love Popa Chubby! Another one I would love to see live...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

1 1/2 of instrumental bliss, Jeff Kollman is an animal. If you didnt know Chad Smith is the drummer for Red Hot Chili Peppers. I prefer him in this element.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'm listening ... :cool: ...The B3 is "piercing" @ times (often) in the highs, and it's not my hi-fi stereo sound system...it's the recording.
Which one?
Jimmy Smith Root Down is on Qobuz at 96/124 and a completely different experience.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The YouTube music video from post #188, right above the post when I made the comment.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/the-blues-music-thread-strictly-blues-?.20535/page-10#post-568056
Yeah I get it completely. Unfortunately in days gone bye the blues were deemed " not worthy" of proper recordings or budgets. If you want to listen to alot of the best blues, music wise, you have to accept less than stellar recordings.
The music itself on that album is amazing and very hard to find on vinyl.
As I type this, and I dont know why, I am reminded of a night we went to a Burbank recording studio to watch a showcase of bands perform in front of a few record lable executives for possible recording contracts. My buddies band was one of them. All the performances were recorded for later evaluations.
During one of the intermissions my buddy, not in any of the bands but a drummer, got up and got behind our friends drum kit and kicked up a thick funky groove. For the next 20 to 30 minutes, it was a walkin/walk off session jam with all the members of all the bands. At any time there was anywhere from 2 to 7 or 8 musicians joining in and jammimg a then walking off ans someone else would join in. Truly a spontaneous jam that was amazing, everyone there was 100% in the groove.
Someone signaled it was time to get on with the regular programming and they brought the jam to an end in perfect 12 bar style. As soon as the last note was struck every single person in the room at the same time turned and looked at the guy running the board and the look of "I am about to get my ass kicked for not hitting record" was priceless and very sad at the same time.
A magical moment of spontaneous music left to our memories only.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing