The Blues Music thread | Strictly Blues ?

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not a fan of Joe (amazing musician, just not a fan) but this amazing!

I, myself, am a big Joe fan. He is one of the hardest working blues artists, always trying to pay hommage to the old blues greats. Plays in two bands, produces music for many artists, always in studio playing with some artist on a track, touring constantly, and like you said "amazing musician".
That all being said, what I don't like is his relentless marketing campaigns, and the price of tickets to see one of his shows is getting so ridiculously expensive it's hard to get decent seats.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't know the guy personally and his habits and reputation with his friends and family, I sure like his guitar playing though, and his combination with Beth's voice and style. The synergy and synchronicity is high caliber palpable and intoxicating.

_____

* Short annecdote: My friend played music with The Chieftains, with Van Morrison.
I'm a big fan of Van, huge. But my friend knows Van personally and he just doesn't like him.
That's life; some people you know more than just artist professional musicians/singers/songwriters. And the way you know them can turn you on, or off.

We understand how it works, and how it can influence everything.
So in some way I do understand some of what you both are saying, Mike and Dan.

As for the ticket prices; how much to see the Rolling Stones live?

Reactions: AZWink

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know the guy personally and his habits and reputation with his friends and family, I sure like his guitar playing though, and his combination with Beth's voice and style. The synergy and synchronicity is high caliber palpable and intoxicating.

_____

* Short annecdote: My friend played music with The Chieftains, with Van Morrison.
I'm a big fan of Van, huge. But my friend knows Van personally and he just doesn't like him.
That's life; some people you know more than just artist professional musicians/singers/songwriters. And the way you know them can turn you on, or off.

We understand how it works, and how it can influence everything.
So in some way I do understand some of what you both are saying, Mike and Dan.

As for the ticket prices; how much to see the Rolling Stones live?

I only know him from the outside as a fan of his music and what I see as his work ethic. So as far as opinions go, they are very subjective.
I do know that when I hear music that he has produced, it is a step above both sonically and attention to detail.
Btw, I had tickets in the 22 row center for the stones that were less than the same distance center for Joe. He's good but he ain't the Stones. Lol

Reactions: NorthStar

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I, myself, am a big Joe fan. He is one of the hardest working blues artists, always trying to pay hommage to the old blues greats. Plays in two bands, produces music for many artists, always in studio playing with some artist on a track, touring constantly, and like you said "amazing musician".
That all being said, what I don't like is his relentless marketing campaigns, and the price of tickets to see one of his shows is getting so ridiculously expensive it's hard to get decent seats.

I agree with all of that completely. He just does not reach into my soul like say, SRV, Buddy Guy, Gary Moore and others. It feels manufactured to me, always has.
The other side of that is I appreciate what he has done for "Blues Awareness" and have mad respect for that.

There are a lot of amazing musicians out there that do absolute nothing for me an example being Yngwie Malmsteen. An amazing musician that in my opinion plays incredibly boring music, and yes I have seen him live.

P.S. I saw the stones on the Some Girls Tour (love the album) at Anaheim stadium.

Last edited:

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Was Beth on stage too?

No, I wish. Their last album together, 'Black Coffee' was really good in my opinion. She was here last night, opening for Kenny Wayne Sheppard. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go. I've wanted to see her for awhile, but never works out when she's here or near.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like her voice a lot, and I like Joe's smooth, razor sharp, polished, precise, genuinely bleeding blues guitar playing.

Mike has a different hearing vision on Joe than mine, I think I understand because he described well what he likes...raw, in the moment, deadly honest, etc. We all vibe to a different tune, sound, music rhythm, tempo, beat, and that's what makes the human species shines.

What we do have in common the most right here is the Blues. ...And the older blues players and singers from old decades gone by...from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s.

I'm also a big fan of John Lee Hooker:
? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdLnBWRkJUD4JTL6cCZmQSg

Extra:

Last edited:
Reactions: AZWink and Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I like her voice a lot, and I like Joe's smooth, razor sharp, polished, precise, genuinely bleeding blues guitar playing.

Mike has a different hearing vision on Joe than mine, I think I understand because he described well what he likes...raw, in the moment, deadly honest, etc. We all vibe to a different tune, sound, music rhythm, tempo, beat, and that's what makes the human species shines.

What we do have in common the most right here is the Blues. ...And the older blues players and singers from old decades gone by...from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s.

Extra:

The JLH and VM out on the dock is such an awesome moment in time!
That whole documentary is awesome, I watch it often.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Extra:

Hooker and Morrison! It just doesn't get much better than that... wow!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
And for the record, yes I like a little extra stank on my blues.
As Shemekia Copeland once said at a show I was at,"We gonna put some old ass arm pit stank on this one".

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

The music (blues) hasn't changed much. The audience the same.
What has is the time, people have aged. ...The space, and other music styles ... like classical chamber music, quartets, solo piano, cello, small jazz ensembles, Operas and Tango music.
I also like African and Calypso music too.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing