The [coffee snobs'] espresso thread

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Arriving next week, the Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Evoluzione Type R

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 2.36.47 PM.png

After so many years mastering espresso brewing, it's time to make a rather large leap, and had to have an E61 group head, a bottomless portafilter, proper PID, and direct water line connection, don't care about separate boilers. It ain't a Slayer or La Marzocco or other top end machines, but I know it will be amazing.

In terms of beans, I will continue using Stumptown Hair Bender, Intelligentsia Black Cat, and my new favorites, the 49th Parallel blends, and Espresso Vivace Dolce.

Would love to hear from other espresso lovers...

-ack

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Congrats!

I've had my spring-lever for a couple years and no going back for me. A friend has a Slayer and tbh I'm not convinced you're getting much more for your money and it's had more issues vs my machine. If I were to get another machine it'd be a similar one with a Bosco spring/lever group.

What I'd love to get is the newest Kafetek grinder, if I had a bunch of cash to drop on espresso gear, this would be it:

https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith-flat-max/

For beans I like a variety and try different espresso blends as well as single origins. My friend with the Slayer started a new biz roasting coffee, I've got the Costa Rica right now and it's spectacular.

https://traction.coffee/store/

Reactions: the sound of Tao

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Arriving next week, the Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Evoluzione Type R

View attachment 50777

After so many years mastering espresso brewing, it's time to make a rather large leap, and had to have an E61 group head, a bottomless portafilter, proper PID, and direct water line connection, don't care about separate boilers. It ain't a Slayer or La Marzocco or other top end machines, but I know it will be amazing.

In terms of beans, I will continue using Stumptown Hair Bender, Intelligentsia Black Cat, and my new favorites, the 49th Parallel blends, and Espresso Vivace Dolce.

Would love to hear from other espresso lovers...

-ack
Bottomless portafilter is the to go if you're using the standard portafilters, which grinder to go with it?

david

Reactions: the sound of Tao

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Dave, David, Bob and Justin! Fancy grinders there. Currently using a Baratza Sette ceramic burr grinder which is very good but not accurate in dosing, so using a separate scale. At some point I will go all in there as well.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The Settle is a nice grinder. It probably grinds better than the Fausto.

The Fausto is very quiet and better made. But a lot more money. It looks the dogs, though, I reckon

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Sette does indeed grind very well but it took months and two shims to settle. I had to replace the main board last year, for free even though it was out of warranty. That’s the beauty with companies like Baratza

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Having to drink decaf makes this all like torture for me. I love coffee.

Weighing thr grounds is probably better than any grinder will ever be. Grinders that automatically do it are sorta finicky, and typically don’t like being empty as they have to recalculate. One shot grinders and a scale make sense, even at a coffee shop. You just get little cup&lid things that hold beans that you weighed out and filled ahead of time to be ready to go so you don’t have to do that all the time.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
5F4335E5-79E5-4BD5-A3C6-E6AB50B43F0D.jpeg When I sold and moved house recently the espresso infrastructure was last man standing... and first thing setup at the other end. I’ve had my ECM Giotto and Mazzer grinder since about 2000 and (touch wood) they are still making great espresso every day. Return on investment super high.

I have been researching for that inevitable time of renewal (with nearly 20 years up on the clock) and as of now have my sights on a Profitec Pro 800 lever... but just had another proper coffee then and have loved my time with the E61 headed ECM.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ouch, don’t mean to torture anyone but great coffee is an art. Tao, great stuff there. I was also looking at the Profitec. Mazzer have always been great grinders. Enjoy!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
hedonist a person who believes the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sigh

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No Nespresso fans here? LOL

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
No lol... lol, but sigh yes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graham, you've displayed the whole range of human emotions there.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have no more emotions to espresso ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Your cup runneth over.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing