The Crown Season 3 | Official Trailer | Netflix

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

This continues to be an ongoing series that always providse (for me) excellent entertainment. Here in Season 3 the Queen now at her 25th Jubilee and older is played by Olivia Colman. Watching this 10 part Season 3 I could never help but have the feeling that I was watching Queen Elizabeth as her portrayal with facial mannerisms, walk, dress etc was as good as they get . I would expect many nominations for this show including
Best Drama un a recurring series
Best Actress Olvia Colman
Possibly Best Actor -Tobias Menzies

Elizabeth is now at the time in her monarchy where she has 4 kids and they are now developing the characters of Ann and Charles (both of whom also not only look like who they are portraying but their acting also convinced me I was watching the prince and proncess

Margaret is played by Helen Bonham Carter and she too is superb in her role

All told the Queen has seen 7 prime ministers and many episodes highlighted a time in her monarchy with great history including how she brought home to Buckingham the Prince's mother who was living in a convent in Greece as a nun during the upheaval of the Greek government

Lots of good history and very interesting was the development of the roles of Philip. Margaret, Ann and Charles as well as showing that Camilla was Charles first true love but the marriage was squelched by the Queen mummy and Lrd Mountbatten

We binged it in 3 evenings. This one is goung to win many awards in the coming months

Another home run by Netflix. Highly recommended

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

This continues to be an ongoing series that always providse (for me) excellent entertainment. Here in Season 3 the Queen now at her 25th Jubilee and older is played by Olivia Colman. Watching this 10 part Season 3 I could never help but have the feeling that I was watching Queen Elizabeth as her portrayal with facial mannerisms, walk, dress etc was as good as they get . I would expect many nominations for this show including
Best Drama un a recurring series
Best Actress Olvia Colman
Possibly Best Actor -Tobias Menzies

Elizabeth is now at the time in her monarchy where she has 4 kids and they are now developing the characters of Ann and Charles (both of whom also not only look like who they are portraying but their acting also convinced me I was watching the prince and proncess

Margaret is played by Helen Bonham Carter and she too is superb in her role

All told the Queen has seen 7 prime ministers and many episodes highlighted a time in her monarchy with great history including how she brought home to Buckingham the Prince's mother who was living in a convent in Greece as a nun during the upheaval of the Greek government

Lots of good history and very interesting was the development of the roles of Philip. Margaret, Ann and Charles as well as showing that Camilla was Charles first true love but the marriage was squelched by the Queen mummy and Lrd Mountbatten

We binged it in 3 evenings. This one is goung to win many awards in the coming months

Another home run by Netflix. Highly recommended
Thanks Steve
I just told my wife about the fact.
I think she will be one happy Girl the next 2 days ;)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
we are half way and its great. wasn't a big fan of the Philip episode this year, but the Aberfan catastrophe was exceptional

Steve Williams

we are half way and its great. wasn't a big fan of the Philip episode this year, but the Aberfan catastrophe was exceptional

It is in the epilogue that the Aberfan disaster was the one thing in her entire monarchy that she regrets most. .....there hopefully is a season 4 where the Princess Di tragedy should occur. I would have thought that the indecision on her part at that time of sorrow was her greatest show of indecision ( as depicted in the movie The Queen)

Steve Williams

as for the Philip episode he too was portrayed as being out of touch with the people as he tried to video why he felt the royal family should receive a larger allowance from the government. They also tried frequently to humanize his feelings for Elizabeth which I thought was well done

The Queen Mummy is also shown as being ever present, somewhat silent but very forceful in telling Elizabeth what to do. This is very evident in the 6th episode involving Charles and his love for Camilla and the royals not liking Camilla. So what do they do.... Lord Mountbatten arranges for Charles to be sent to the Caribbean for 8 months for his first posting and the Queen Mummy arranges for Camilla to marry her other love as Charles breaks down into a crumpled mass and sobs

This is television at its very best

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
as for the Philip episode he too was portrayed as being out of touch with the people as he tried to video why he felt the royal family should receive a larger allowance from the government. They also tried frequently to humanize his feelings for Elizabeth which I thought was well done

I was talking about the Philip mid-life crisis episode.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are very few things really known about the Queen's true feelings. One is her deep regret on how she handled Aberfan. This did drive a very deep wedge btwn her and her subjects. It's also commonly acknowledged that the fallout from Diana's death was so bad that the whole institution was on the edge. The early 2000s were a terrible time for the Royals.

Steve Williams

There are very few things really known about the Queen's true feelings. One is her deep regret on how she handled Aberfan. This did drive a very deep wedge btwn her and her subjects. It's also commonly acknowledged that the fallout from Diana's death was so bad that the whole institution was on the edge. The early 2000s were a terrible time for the Royals.
I would anticipate season 4 to show that very thing. She appeared cold and heartless after Diana’s death. She had no idea the affection her subjects had for Diana. It was portrayed well in The Queen

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, it was brutal in this country. Indeed, I'd say the age of deference to authority and traditional British "stiff upper lip" disappeared as a major result of Diana's death. The vitriol that poured forth was something to behold. The classic example being the family staying siege-like up in Scotland after Diana died, and only v reluctantly coming out to meet the people and share in their pain. It was made v clear to Her Maj' that things had to change, or at the v least we would become a purely symbolic monarchy like NL. Indeed the republican mvt was at it's strongest for centuries at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

to sure how you Brits like the series but for me I find it a riveting drama that is difficult not to watch. It is brilliantly directed. Looking at the acting and gestures, facial mannerisms and dress of Olivia Colman I truly felt as if I were watching the Queen

Reactions: marty

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, that's her power as an actress. But you have to know that we truly know nothing about the Queen, how she feels, her political leanings. It's one of the truly laudable things about her, but even in this modern age of over exposure and disposable news, she maintains a total poker face, and zero has ever been leaked on her private conversations w the dozen+ prime ministers she regularly talks to.

All you see in The Crown is pure make believe. Indeed one of the few things that ever got revealed about the Queen would not make scintillating tv.

So enjoy it. But be almost certain none of it is likely accurate.

Steve Williams

You're right about the stone face

In fact after we finished the entire 10 episodes I commented to my wife that throughout the entire 10 episodes we never once saw her smile. In fact at the final part of the last episode comments are made that she must always maintain a stone face and never reveal her partisanship one way or another

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's not a job anyone in the 21st century would choose. But Elizabeth's and Phillip's generation never batted an eyelid.

Fwd one generation to Charles, Anne and Andrew, well at least the former two can count duty on their CV.

Current crop. The demands are proving a little too much. William (and Meghan) trying to redirect their duties into all round more personal directions, William (and Kate) more traditional. Both boys have learnt from their mum's experience.

Plenty of grist for Seasons Four.

Steve Williams

It's not a job anyone in the 21st century would choose. But Elizabeth's and Phillip's generation never batted an eyelid.

Fwd one generation to Charles, Anne and Andrew, well at least the former two can count duty on their CV.

Current crop. The demands are proving a little too much. William (and Meghan) trying to redirect their duties into all round more personal directions, William (and Kate) more traditional. Both boys have learnt from their mum's experience.

Plenty of grist for Seasons Four.
Especially if the question of Harry’s paternity is raised

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any thoughts for the actress who could in future seasons play the Duchess of Sussex? You know, the American actress who's just got her husband to quit the firm? I know there's someone PERFECT for the role, just can't place her.

Steve Williams

Any thoughts for the actress who could in future seasons play the Duchess of Sussex? You know, the American actress who's just got her husband to quit the firm? I know there's someone PERFECT for the role, just can't place her.
she's an actress. She can play herself

I give them full credit for their decision. Meg and Harry have been decimated in the British tabloids and there is some disconnect now between Will and Harry and their spouses.The Queen was blindsided in their decision. Harry will always be the second born with Will the heir to the throne. This is the 21st century in a changing world. I wish them all the luck. Rumor over here is Malibu might be a stopping point

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You walked into that one, Steve Lol.

Steve Williams

not really. I know you Marc

Do you ever wonder if Harry has done 23 and me? ;)

The big question for me is if there is a season 4 of the Crown who will play Charles and Diana and Camella because that's when the entire monarchy took a big shift

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
they shot 3 and 4 at the same time if memory serves me...

we finished this season last week - still not that big a fan of the new Queen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing