The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Hello cmarin,
Congratualtions!

Were the 512Engineering Iso Transformers in use with your Twelve Mk1 dac before?

If not, it's a confounding factor and if feasible, please listen to the Twelve Mk2 again without them and tell us what you think is the diff between Mk1 and Mk2.

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you CK. You’re very kind.

Yes. The transformers had been in place for at least a few weeks with the Mk1 DAC before I sent it to Vincent to be upgraded.

The difference that I heard tonight between the transformers/mk2 combo, and from before with the transformers/mk1 combo was night and day. Part of that difference was clear the first time I turned on the mk2.

However, tonight, after an additional 48 hours of settling in, I was getting layers and layers of additional information than before, in a harmonically coherent and relaxed, non etched or fatiguing, way.

Background material that before was buried in the noise or appeared in the background as one-dimensional silhouettes, is now equally prominent in a palpable, yet coherent, way.

Overall, the mk2/transformers combo has allowed me to get even closer to a real musical experience than I’ve been able to before in my room.

Now, it’s worth noting that this latest experience is only after 48 hours of having turned on the mk2, and late at night when power is cleaner. So I will report back after the mk2 has settled in further and with both day and night listening sessions.

And while the observed positive effect is in part due to the balanced transformers which have themselves lowered the noise floor significantly, the positive difference between the mk2 and mk1 is clear, not insignificant and well worth the incremental value in my opinion.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Whaaouu !!! when I hear already, everyday, the musical emotion that offer me my "little" set d1-direct / d1-driver...
Congrats too, Mister cmarin... your system is quite incredible and this Twelve MKII seems to be a real new listening experience !

Bruno

Thank you Bruno for your kind comments.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
We have just received a Totaldac D1-twelve mk2 in gorgeous looking silver, the first tones are very promising, the transparency and air are already standing out in comparison with our resident xhd. Will report back after some burn-in

Hello Emile,

Big congratulations!

BTW many audiophiles are waiting for your SGM Ultimate!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Th TD 12 MK1 is the best digital I have heard (and I have heard quite a few and own the Aqua Formula). I would love to hear and own the TD 12 Mk II.
I'm just curious if you've heard the APL Hifi DSD-MR dac with or without the DTR-MR SACD transport? That is the best digitial i've ever heard, including reference dacs from Vitus, CH Precision, MSB, DCS and Esoteric. I haven't heard the TD12 Mk1, so I can't comment on it.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm just curious if you've heard the APL Hifi DSD-MR dac with or without the DTR-MR SACD transport? That is the best digitial i've ever heard, including reference dacs from Vitus, CH Precision, MSB, DCS and Esoteric. I haven't heard the TD12 Mk1, so I can't comment on it.

Mr Peychev of APL is a genius.
However there is no APL dealer in Hong Kong.

BTW what model of dCS and MSB were compared with APLs by you previously?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is that the SGM Ultimate in the photo?

Looks cool!

Thank you, it is.

Hello Emile,

Big congratulations!

Thank you for putting it on my radar! The sound reproduction is already as close to an actual live performance as I've ever heard before, after only 36 hours of burn in.

BTW many audiophiles are waiting for your SGM Ultimate!

We are very close to release now!

Reactions: CKKeung

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Mr Peychev of APL is a genius.
However there is no APL dealer in Hong Kong.

BTW what model of dCS and MSB were compared with APLs by you previously?
I have to agree with you. Their unique dac architecture, and the sound is something special. It's a shame you can't demo the APL dac locally. Though the TD is a great dac by all reports.

I've heard the full DCS Vivaldi stack on two occasions, though not in familiar systems/rooms. The MSB dac I heard was the Reference dac with dual mono power base & Femto 33 clock upgrade. That was under show conditions, but in a treated room which measured well. None the less I was able to hear what the dacs contributed to the sound.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have to agree with you. Their unique dac architecture, and the sound is something special. It's a shame you can't demo the APL dac locally. Though the TD is a great dac by all reports.
I've heard the full DCS Vivaldi stack on two occasions, though not in familiar systems/rooms. The MSB dac I heard was the Reference dac with dual mono power base & Femto 33 clock upgrade. That was under show conditions, but in a treated room which measured well. None the less I was able to hear what the dacs contributed to the sound.

Thanks for the info.
A local dealer is essential for such flagship grade products. It's a pity that there is none in HK.
If you know Mr. Peychev, please ask him if he has any plannof extending his business to Southeast Asia.

Which APL dac are you referring to?
The DSD-MR or DSD-S?

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the info.
A local dealer is essential for such flagship grade products. It's a pity that there is none in HK.
If you know Mr. Peychev, please ask him if he has any plannof extending his business to Southeast Asia.

Which APL dac are you referring to?
The DSD-MR or DSD-S?
I don't know Mr Peychev personally & live in Australia, so I don't have the opportunity to visit the factory. But I agree local support for digital products in particular is important. For things like loudspeakers, I'd be prepared to jump a flight o/s to audition a pair of $45k speakers which aren't Distributed locally.

I auditioned the DSD-MR tube dac with the DTR-MR SACD transport with Boulder amps. Great combo - Boulder needs some tubes in the mix imho. I'll pm you a link to the Youtube video's I shot of my audition. Cheers.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Will report back after some burn-in time.

I have around 50 hours on the D1-12. The midbass was a bit thin at first but it's starting to fill in nicely now. It's the closest I've come to recreate a live music experience in my listening room. Wind instruments are particularly lifelike, piano clarity and impact are simply amazing. My brother is a concert pianist and I grew up waking to real live grand piano music on a daily basis. The D1-12 just nails this.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
So nice...I expect and even meet this amazing feeling of accoustic event with my Totaldac set,
a such living experience... congrats Mister Taiko !

Reactions: Taiko Audio

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I have around 50 hours on the D1-12. The midbass was a bit thin at first but it's starting to fill in nicely now. It's the closest I've come to recreate a live music experience in my listening room. Wind instruments are particularly lifelike, piano clarity and impact are simply amazing. My brother is a concert pianist and I grew up waking to real live grand piano music on a daily basis. The D1-12 just nails this.
Nice. It just keeps on getting better, and better, and better the longer it is on.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
We have just received a Totaldac D1-twelve mk2 in gorgeous looking silver, the first tones are very promising, the transparency and air are already standing out in comparison with our resident xhd. Will report back after some burn-in time.

View attachment 47371

View attachment 47373

View attachment 47374

That is a dream setup. I'd love to read you thoughts on the Scientist gear. Based on almost everything I've read, it seems to be as close to as good as you can get as it comes.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
That is a dream setup. I'd love to read you thoughts on the Scientist gear. Based on almost everything I've read, it seems to be as close to as good as you can get as it comes.

They're incredibly clean, transparent and revealing. Yet not clinical / sterile as they made me give up tubes. Actually, dare I say they're a lot like the D1-12 mk2 as they just sound more like the real thing.

Reactions: lordcloud

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing